Good Cardiologist in Northern Virginia/Washington DC Area

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcane

Please give me a recommendation for a cardiologist for bicuspid aortic valve. Currently going to Young Park in Reston, but I don't think he very knowledgable in treating this type of issue.

Thank you very much

I live in Silver Spring and must change cardiologists soon. I was given some good referals to Northern Virginia cardiologists recently on one of the threads I started. (Unfortunately, I find the drive to NOVA very trying and feel more comfortable driving up to Columbia, MD, or even Johns Hopkins Hospital for appointments.) Please check for the recent threads I have started for the recommendations I received in Reston and nearby areas.

For Surgery, I always recommend that BAV patients seek out a Surgeon with lots of experience dealing with BAV and the often related Connective Tissue Disorders. Such surgeons are typically found at Major Heart Hospitals. I'm not very familiar with Doctors in Northern Virginia. You might want to consider Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. Perhaps they might be able to recommend a Cardiologist for you.

We have a few members from the Fairfax VA area. Hopefully they can be of assistance.

'AL Capshaw'

I am back again...have more time today to look up my posting about a new Cardiologist. JeffM had responded with a suggestion of looking in his Northern Virginia area. According to his signature information his Cardiac Surgeon (who is not to be confused with a Cardiologist) was Alan Speir and JeffM had his surgery at Fairfax Hospital.

Those of us who went to Johns Hopkins used Cardiac Surgeon Duke Cameron. I can tell you he is excellent and has recently received another prestigious international award for his fine work. You could contact his office (call the hospital main number for the direct number to his office). His office would authorize definitive testing to see how close you are to needing surgery. Really, what you need now is not just a Cardiologist but a Cardiac Surgeon. You may want to contact my fellow Hopkins people on this forum for more thoughts: CBDHeartman and ColleenS.

Thank you for the responses. I am well aware of reputations of Dr. Speir and Cameron. However, according to my Cardiologist, I am 10 years away from Surgery. I want to talk to another Cardiologist to make sure that the medications I am on are correct. Currently, I am unable to do any lifting or walk long distances. My body goes numb too.

PS - I saw a recommendation for Anne Summers, however she works in the same practice as my current Dr., so that would be a bit awkward.

I would expect that well known BAV Surgeons would know some Cardiologists they would recommend to a BAV patient.
Perhaps you could call the offices of those surgeons and get a referal.

I certainly can relate to wanting to get away from the others in your (hopefully former) practice! That is why I am looking for a cariologist NOT in the big practice I am trying to get away from. Hope you find something suitable!

I highly recommend Dr. Prachak Siriprakorn, whom everyone affectionately calls "Dr. Siri." He was my cariologist in Northern Virginia (went to his office in Woodbridge; think he had another one nearer DC, too).

He is of Cambodian descent and when I first visited him, I had a bit of difficulty understanding him. But I soon learned that he is absolutely brilliant! He was the one who got right to the bottom of what was going on with my aortic valve and root and what I would have to have done. Monitored me very closely.

And he recommended Dr. Alan Speir so highly to be my surgeon that he said if I came to the hospital the day of surgery and found Dr. Speir had been called away for some reason, I should walk out and come back for the surgery another day -- which wasn't a knock on Dr. Speir's associates (he has very competent ones) but just an endorsement of his extraordinary skill doing the valve/root replacement I had to have done. Dr. Siri said the surgery can take upwards of 11 hours, but Dr. Speir does it in 5 because he is so expert at it. That of course cuts down time on the heart-lung machine.

We moved away more than 5 years ago, and I haven't checked to see if Dr. Siri is still in practice there, but if he is, I highly recommend him.

(In fact -- adding a PS here -- I wish I could find someone as good as Dr. Siri where I now live. Have to go back for an echo this Friday, and I so far have not gotten confidence that my current cardio and his staff can interpret it correctly.)

Another edit add; I found this link to Dr. Siri:

http://www.insiderpages.com/doctors/Prachak-T-Siriprakorn-MD-Woodbridge

Last edited:
My son's Cardiologist (Pediatric) recommends and is a patient of Carl Bon Tempo with Northern Virginia Cardiology Associates
8505 Arlington Blvd
Fairfax, VA 22031

Phone (703) 698-8525
Fax (703) 849-1918

Please give me a recommendation for a cardiologist for bicuspid aortic valve. Currently going to Young Park in Reston, but I don't think he very knowledgable in treating this type of issue.

Thank you very much

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been a few days since I've checked back here. Young Park is in the same practice (Cardiac Care Assoc.) as my cardiologist, who is Dr Anne Summers. As I mentioned in another thread started by Maryka, I have been very pleased with her knowledge and thoroughness as well as her personality. If you were to switch, I guess it wouldn't be as awkward as going into a hair salon and asking for the stylist next to the one who's been cutting your hair for the last few years. You never really see these guys other than when you have an appoitnment and for what it's worth, I doubt they have the time or the energy to get bent out of shape if a patient requests another Doc in the same practice. You could call and say you have heard great things about Summers from others and request a consultation with her. The nice piece here is she already has access to all your records. Let us know what you decide to do.

Jeff

I am seeing Dr. Barbara Bean, who is out of the Annapolis office of Cardiology Associates and she is the Chief of Cardiology for Anne Arundel Medical Center. Not sure if that is too far for you. She has seen both myself and my mother through valve replacements. She has a fantastic personality and is very thorough. She also has a very close working relationship with Dr. Cameron at Hopkins and consults him regularly on valve issues. Dr. Cameron performed my surgery and his reputation is well deserved.

I'm very satisfied with my Cardiologist, Dr. Samuel Rodriguez, 1400 Forest Glen Rd, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (301) 905-3500 He's also familiar the effect of exercise on heart function, etc. as it relates to bicuspid valves and AVR.

Back