Good advice or not ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctyguy

I went to the clinic yesterday for my monthly INR check. Results were 3.6 which is higher than my target of 2.0 to 3.0 When I spoke with the technican I told her that I had 4 beers on Saturday night (OSU vs USC) and then 3 more on Sunday (Giants game). So I attributed my bump due to the alcohol.

I take 6mg a day, pretty simple and Im good about staying in range. What the tech told me is if I have a healthy amount of alcohol that I should drop my dosage for that night (when I take my coumadin) from 6mg to 4mg. She told me that they only make that recommendation to younger folks because of alcohol consumption. Im ok with it, and that is what I did.

Thoughts ?

That *sounds reasonable* to my analytical side.

Small changes (4%) work for me when I am slightly high (or low).

It will be interesting to hear what other members have to say from their 'voice of experience'...

This is the problem, alcohol does affect somes INR, but usually does not. Everyone being different, you kind of have to experiment. I don't know, since this is the first? time you've drank that much, that it's the cause of the INR rise. Myself, I'd just continue my regular dose and see if it happens again.

maybe not the beer. could have been some of the stuff you guys
were eating. those osu guys love their spinach quiche.

It sounds reasonable to me. I rarely drink, but if I have a couple of margaritas, I balance it with a large salad, preferably with some spinach. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've never had a problem, so maybe Chou could give you a good recipe for spinach quiche?

This is the problem, alcohol does affect somes INR, but usually does not. Everyone being different, you kind of have to experiment. I don't know, since this is the first? time you've drank that much, that it's the cause of the INR rise. Myself, I'd just continue my regular dose and see if it happens again.

I agree. I'd just continue my regular dose -- if my INRs have been pretty steady previously.

And even though your targeted range is 2.0-3.0, some doctors do set ranges of 2.5-3.5 for AV valvers. In those cases, 3.6 wouldn't be worrisome.

Back