Going back to work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve119

Hi I was just wondering how long people waited before they returned to work? I have been six weeks post op now, was thinking of going back next week. Was just wondering how soon other people returned?

Thanks

In my case I went back to my office two weeks after I was released from the Hospital.
Mine was minimally invasive surgery, with slight urological complication .

I am going back on Wednesday, which I think corresponds to roughly ten weeks. My surgeon tends to be on the conservative side. I had enough disability to cover it, so I couldn't think of a good reason to push the issue.

Went back part-time after 6 weeks, full-time after 12 weeks (this was after my 3rd OHS).

OK, First I have to say that Jim has a brilliant boss and there was a back-log of patients to get in the cardiac rehab programme, which slowed things up a bit (OK, a lot!)... Also, he does a manual job standing in front of a machine all day, tightening chucks (hard on the upper body) and a fair bit of lifting...

His boss let him stay off until he started rehab (just getting statutory sick pay), then he went back part time (3 days/week) (this was after about 3 1/2 months) and full time about 10 :eek: weeks after that, when the rehab course ended. If the rehab had started on time, I reckon he'd have been back 6-8 weeks earlier. But it was kind of nice because one of his days off was also my day off!

For office work, providing your cardio's "cleared" you for work, next week should be fine. If you're thinking about doing it you're probably ready.

Hi Thanks for the reply. I will find out next week if i get the all clear, then I'm hoping to go back to work straight away. It is just an office job, sat at my desk all day, so its not too taxing. I was asked if I wanted to do a rehabilitation programme, i declined, as I don't feel i need it. I'm 24, and hoping to get back to the gym as soon as I can, to see what my limits are. You think this may be wise, missing the program. I had valve replacement surgery, and was told the programmer was more for people who had bypass surgeries.

Nathan is now 5+months post op, and returned to work 12 weeks post op. He had missed 6 months of work starting with the endocarditis in July, with his first day back Jan 4. He has a physically difficult job which involveds lifting up to 150 lb boxes many times per day. It was very tough at first, but he continues to improve almost daily :D There is an owner of another mechanical valve at his office that returned to this same job 8 weeks post op (with no endocarditis history however) I don't know how he did it!

Wishing you all the best on your return to work!

I went back at 7 weeks

I went back at 7 weeks

but took a 90 minute nap the first day in the student lounge. Luckily the students weren't back yet ;)

I also had a minimally invasive, but with some complications and re-hospitalization.

Kristi
mitral repair 11/30/05

Hi
I'm retired so I cant' really tell. However, I know I had no energy to do any work 12 weeks after the operation (mitral valve repair). I was a little anemic and my energy level was really low.
Not everyone is the same and I guess age may have a contributing factor, however, don't push yourself too hard. it was a MAJOR operation and your body needs time to recuperate. Take it easy at the begining ( working part time hours) if you can, That way you can pace yourself better

Steve, Jim found the rehab programme really useful and he was only 26/27 at the time. And prior to his surgery he'd been really fit. It was only for a 3 hour session once a week, and they charted his progress from week to week with treadmill, bike, that climber thingy, elliptical trainer etc - good to see actual results telling you you're getting fitter I guess! And reassuring to know he could push himself without worrying.

True, the other patients were mostly 60+ and had had bypasses or stents or heart attacks, but there were a couple of valvers too (although also older). Maybe you could go along to the intro session, or to meet the physio staff, and find out what you think of it that way before committing to it.

Also, if your gym finds out you've recently had heart surgery, they'll more than likely want to hook you up with a specially trained cardiac person to give you a workout plan. Jim's guy was a complete waste of space as he was just tuned into the needs of bypass patients, whereas the rehab team were able to tune their programmes to suit each patient's needs. Just a thought, you may have more luck where you are!

Steve, the standard I was given for short-term disability for valve surgery without complications was 6-8 weeks.

Don't be surprised if your cardiologist writes a "no-anaerobics" note on your release for the gym. Mine did, and I was left with only the treadmill and the bikes, and an 18-year-old idiot to monitor me and make sure I didn't use anything else. I've not been back since.

I still have that argument to have with the cardiologist, or maybe I'll be able to talk the GP into writing one. Ridiculous.

Best wishes,

As I mentioned in my post several days ago, I went back to work on Wednesday. What a shock! The last week or two before I went back I tried to remain pretty active around the house to make sure I was in good enough shape to go back. I felt nice and energetic everyday and assumed that all would be the same at work. (I am a production supervisor at a medical manufacturing facility so my job is mostly at my desk, but with 4-5 trips out to the production floor during the day.) My first day back I was absolutely pooped by 1:00PM. The second day was a little better in that I wasn't on the verge of collapse until 3:30. The moral of the story is: BEING AT WORK IS NOT LIKE BEING AT HOME! Probably should have realized that, but I guess I'm a slow learner. I would suggest taking as much time off as you can and be prepared for the first couple days back to be a little out of it.

I was back in 1 week

I was back in 1 week

I was back on tuesday the 3rd of Jan (dec 22 surgery) I had robotic mitral valve repair and it ment less recovery time my job is a "desk job" also I own a compnay with 20 employees. I'm not sure that I should have went back so soon though as it now seems that I still have some slight regurg!!!!
So do what they tell you to and listen to the doctors. (my wife says I dont listen so good.

Good Luck

Paul

Hey Steve,

I went back to work 4 weeks post-op, I do have a desk job so that helps. I'm also only 30 years old which is a big factor in my quick recovery, I started running only 6 weeks post-op. I did not have any rehab, my cardiologist didn't think I needed it which is good because I didn't really want it. Anyway, hope your recovery continues to go well.

The Type A and the Return to Work

The Type A and the Return to Work

Being 6 weeks post op on my MVR, I asked my cardiologist when I could return to work. He asked "When do you want to return to work?" This is a tough question for a type A personality. I told him "As soon as possible." He's written out a letter to my employer allowing me to return to work in two weeks with the "nothing greater than 25 pound" restriction.

My problem is that I know myself and my penchant for pushing myself to go beyond where I should stop. I had Spinal Disk repair surgery two years ago and was back at work in 5 days. I managed to damage the good doctor's handy work very quickly. (Those cursed restrictions!)

I have great disability insurance that would buy me another 4 months of being a slacker if I wanted.

As for me... I know that I get tired easily. No endurance. Love my naps. My guess is that I shouldn't allow my type A attitudes get me into trouble again.

A job description is in order. I work alone, installing, operating and maintaining satellite communication links for the US government. My employer has had to fly in rotating replacements for me since my stroke in December. If I return to work in two weeks as scheduled I will be working with a backup for the next couple of weeks and then be on my own. Economically, when I return to work I will be giving up my short term disability which I purchase as an insurance policy against such an occurance as the past few months, and will be unable to restart it in the event that I'm being overly optimistic.

I can still call the return to work off. The cardiologist offered to make additional "maximum hour" restictions which I refused.

It must be "pump headedness" to refuse to take it easy and watch the soaps instead of working. Any advice or personal experience that might aid me in making a decision regarding the time for the return to the salt mine? Will things improve quickly if I start as scheduled? How long does that 25 pound restriction stay in effect?

Thanks In Advance

Jerry

So in two more weeks, you will be 8 weeks post-op? If you have back-up help for a few more weeks (putting you at 10 weeks), then I think you would be able to return to work.
Mary

All depends on how you feel

All depends on how you feel

I went back to work part time - 75% - 3 weeks after my aortic valve replacement surgery. That said I am relatively young 32 - and in good shape - other then the faulty valve. I had very steep recovery curve. Hospital stay - 6 days - including a 2nd surgery day after the first where they opened me up again to check on some extra bleeding - was no fun. But once I got home my improvement during the first week was very rapid. Obviously had fatigue - but got stronger every day - increased energy - increased ability to walk - less pain in soreness in chest. Was on email and phones call for work - from home 2 weeks after the surgery - and was back at work 3 weeks afterwards. Worst part of recovery for me has been the soreness in my chest and the tightness that causes in my upper back. I have my 6 week appoinment with the surgeon next week - when he will hopefully tell me the sternum is looking good and i can start to get my fitness back. I was walking up to an hour 3 weeks after the surgery but am starting to get bored with the walking so looking forward to getting the green light to do some other activity. I take a nap in the late afternoon - maybe 1 out of 3 days - otherwise i get tired but can usually make it through without too much trouble. I think I was lucky - being young and healthy - and that the most imp thing is that you listen to your body - push yourself within reason but do so gradually - and if you feel like crap take a rest.

Latest posts

Back