Going back for Replacement after Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chad

Hey to all,

I've been casually lurking around here, learning a great deal, while I recovered from Heart Valve Repair, but have just found out today that I need to go back for Heart Valve Replacement,
I dont know what went wrong with the repair 6 weeks ago, but apparently my cardiologist says the leak is as bad as before.

I hate the idea of being back in the hospital so soon, telling work, my parents. I cant believe that I am letting them cut me open again.

My question:
Does a second open heart make the scar worse? How does it effect the bone area?

I have found a lot of great support just reading your posts here, thank you for that.

Hi Chad-

Welcome to the site. As you've found out, there's a wealth of knowlege here from every valve problem imaginable. It will help you through the next phase in your heart journey.

Scar tissue is always an issue with repeat surgeries. The second isn't too bad. My husband has had 3 valve surgeries. Scar tissue was a bigger problem with the third one, but the surgery was successful. He did his just the opposite from what you're going to be doing, he had a replacement and then a repair. There was a little leak which took 2 stitches to close. But as we all know, fluid can get through a little hole in a big way. So he was very symptomatic prior to surgery.

You'll do fine with your surgery, I'm just sorry you have to have it done again. There are quite a few here that have had to have redos. I'm sure they'll come along to offer their views.

Take care and post often.

Hi Chad,

Welcome to our wonderful family! You've certainly come to the right place for lots of information and support. Many of us have been there and done that!
Sorry to hear you've got to have your chest opened again and this time for the actual replacement. I don't know how old you are but most of us do well the second time around.
I had a valvereplacement redo within eleven days of the first one. My second scar was much worse than my first and developed keloids which are quite painful at times. Even after almost 2 years I can still feel them, although the discomfort is much less than in the beginning.
I am doing very well after all this time but it took me quite a while to get to feeling this way. At times I'd feel on top of the world and other times very tired and just not able to do a whole lot. Everyone is different is his/her recovery, so don't think that mine is the norm.
Anyway, I hope you will do fine with your second surgery and keep us posted how things are with you or ask someone else to post for you. We all care!

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
Mechanical

Thank you Christina, and Nancy,

Its always good to know that others have been there before.
I'm 31 and initially had a valve repair 6 weeks ago, for the mitral valve which was damaged from a staph infection that came out of nowhere in early Feb. of this year. The only conclusion that we could come to was that a small blister from a new pair of shoes had somehow given staph, the entry it needed to set up a heart infection, and menningittis. This was a long hospital stay. Feb-Apr, so when we found out about the heart damage intitially it was also quite a shock, but we thought it would be done and over with quickly, as I have never really been sick, or in a hospital at all.

Christina, I hope you continue to do well, and hope that any pain left will diminish. I have heard from others that recover is a up and down path, and often longer than we would like.

Nancy, thank you. You are so right about fluid in the heart, it seems that once unbalanced it is a very tough clock to completely fix. I think i have realized that this is a long term situation, and not something that I will ever consider over and done. Best Regards.

Chad

Surgery Date?

Surgery Date?

Hi Chad, When will you have your surgery and where? Not being noisy but we have a large and wonderful support group here and will chat with you often if you need help with anything....I have a son your age and I know how your Mom must feel but tell her to try not to worry...You will be fine and out and about in life again soon.:) Bonnie

Dear Chad:

You must be so very disappointed to be returning to the OR so soon. Please let us know when your re-op is scheduled for.

Our bodies are such amazing machines. Imagine a blister from new shoes causing such a problem. But, then again, look at how readily our bodies accept the healing powers God has granted nurses and doctors, and the folks who perform the research into such wonderful drugs.

As Nancy said, there are a number of re-do's on this site, and I am confident they will be adding there words of wisdom soon. Best wishes on your journey, and God Speed.

Marybeth

Marybeth,

I cant help but fell dissapointed although I know that it is all just a path to recovery.
I dont have the date yet, as I have only found this out from my cardioligist, Hopefully I will know more by tommorrow after meeting with my suergon.
Dr. Carter HEB Methodist - Hurst Texas. (inbetween Fort Worth and Dallas)
I would assume that it would be soon however.

Bonnie,

Thank you, I will definitely let you guys know. I'm glad that my mom has taken it so well. Before the last surgery I remember not quite knowing what to say when she said, " well at least they dont have to go into your heart." I didnt want to alarm her, yet wanted to give her all the details. But I think she is prepared for just about anything now.
I sure appreciate the people here. Its great to have somewhere to talk about this to. I hope to know something today or tommorrow, yum! hospital food.

Thanks

Chad

Last edited:
Let us hear as soon as you know

Let us hear as soon as you know

And..I do hope you need to lose a little weight..Ha:D because you will lose about 10-15 lbs. in hospital and afterwards until your taste buds come back..Tell Mom (what's her name) to buy lots of juices for you when you come home..Spme people liked popcycles....but I tell new pre-surgery patients to please get up as soon as you can and walk, walk, walk..Know it's going to be hot in Texas..but walk around in the house and maybe have someone to drive you to a mall a few weeks after surgery to walk. You will get your energy back quicker...Remember we are here for you. Bonnie

Bonnie,

(reply to walking in retail stores)
We did find that very helpful last time. Going to Super Target was my favorite, it sure beats 100degrees and humidity, you just cant walk in that.

Dear Chad:

Just wanted to remind you to let us know when your re-do is scheduled for!

I do have a question............did YOU know there was a problem? I mean with the valve. Symptoms, etc......?????

Thanks, and again, best wishes.

Marybeth

Marybeth,

I did feel that something was wrong, but I also knew that recovery is an up and down road. About week 4 post op, I felt that I had stopped getting better, and had either stagnated or become worse, so I told my doctors, and I was sceduled for an echo soon after that, it showed a good bit of fluid buildup arond the heart. I took more water pills for this, and waited for the results of the echo.

Each week after surgery, I had felt that my walking around the neighborhood with my wife had become easier and each walk it seemed easier to go further. But then after about the 4or5 week (2weeks ago) I noticed that I could not walk the same way without being very short of breath, with pain in my leg muscles from lack of oxygen I guess.

Chad

Chad

Chad, I'm not an expert, but from what I understand, you may not have some of the scar tissue problems associated with a typical second operation, since it hasn't been long enough for it to cause grief.

Part of the problem associated with multiple operations is the scar tissue that sometimes attaches the pericardium to the chest wall or the heart to the pericardium or something like that. They have to carefully detach these and there are often blood vessels and other things to be concerned about. These extend the time they are in and adds an element of risk.

It's doubtful that these would present themselves much of a problem over six weeks.

My second scar was a lot longer than my first one. I attribute it to me being 50 lbs heavier and them having more surface area to cover :D

I do have more scars from the pacemaker wires and chest tubes. They are all in the vicinity of the original scars, but it does make me feel a little frankenstein-ish.

I was never in the running for any sort of male modeling career anyway, so I don't let it get me down.

I'm sorry you have to face this so soon after your last bout. That really bites. It sounds like you're keeping your spirits up and that's great. You know from last time - it's all in the attitude!

Take care,
Kev

Latest posts

Back