glass of wine?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbheart

Does anyone know the risks of drinking small amounts of alcohol while taking both coumadin and plavix?

In November I was having stomach problems, possibly the start of an ulcer but I tested negative for the H. pylori virus that causes most ulcers. Nonetheless, my primary care doc put me on Nexium and sucralfate just in case it was an ulcer and I have very little stomach pain now.

In December I had a blood clot in my eye so my cardiologist put me on Plavix in addition to the coumadin I always take. Lately, I've been scared to have a glass of wine when out with friends since I've had the stomach problems and now use both plavix and coumadin. Am I being overly cautious? I miss that occassional glass of wine but not enough to jeopardize my health. My friend, a frequent drinker and retired nurse, wants me to start drinking with her again.:rolleyes:

Honestly, if your stomach is irritated at all. Stay away from alcohol. If you think it's healed up, then limit yourself to no more then 2 glasses of wine and see how the tummy reacts to that.

I have been taking probiotics and it seems to be helping my stomach. Wine seems to be the worst offender for my stomach. I know that if I would just quit stressing it would REALLY help my stomach. I just haven't mastered the zen thing yet.

I have been taking probiotics and it seems to be helping my stomach. Wine seems to be the worst offender for my stomach. I know that if I would just quit stressing it would REALLY help my stomach. I just haven't mastered the zen thing yet.

In todays world, is it even possible?

I'm always an advocate for having a drink when using coudamin, check my other posts and you will confirm.

But on this occasion i'd have to agree with others and say i'd stay away if you are having stomach problems.

I havent tasted a glass of wine yet that's worth the risk :rolleyes:

& i'd assess the term 'Friend' if someone keeps pushing you to drink when you are in your situation, i've never had any pressure from any of my pre-surgery drinking mates to drink.

Regards.

You're right. I have stuck to my guns and haven't had any wine (or other alchohol) for several weeks. My other friends have questioned this "friend's" advice, as well. My stomach is starting to feel better but I think I'll stay away from any wine until I'm off the stomach medicine and feeling fine. And then see if it causes problems. Thanks for your input!

You're right. I have stuck to my guns and haven't had any wine (or other alchohol) for several weeks. My other friends have questioned this "friend's" advice, as well. My stomach is starting to feel better but I think I'll stay away from any wine until I'm off the stomach medicine and feeling fine. And then see if it causes problems. Thanks for your input!

Just FYI, I was on Omeprazole for a full year before I even thought about alcohol again. After one full year, it should be healed.

Latest posts

Back