Getting ready for 9th...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

A big thank you to everyone for the well-wishes and uplifting messages!

You gave me that lift that I needed ;) I am a little anxious this time, because I know what to expect and I am a busy body and an absolute control-freak so I don't like to be a patient. But I promise to take it easy :p

According to the Surgeon 98% of sternotomys heals without any complications. This time I'll be one of that 98%.

I would love to hear more about the "talons" that everyone is talking about.

Dont worry, you will be one of the 98%, they are good odds, and with all of us here praying for you, they are more like 100%. :cool:

I googled the talons, and the main draw back I saw is that they have to come out at some point.

Given my experience this time around - I wouldn't want that route. My surgeon did an outstanding job closing up and I haven't felt any movement in my sternum at all. My surgeon did some studying under a plastic surgeon for a while and said he uses their techniques for closing the incision. Some special glue and dissolving stitches and he wired it tight as can be. For me, talons would have added an extra step that would not have been needed.

From what I read, I could see how and why the talons make sense, it's just getting them out that I wouldn't be a fan of. I've been cut enough. I'd discuss with your surgeon his closing techniques and see how comfortable you are without the talons before going that route. Do you know anyone that has used your surgeon before for open heart? I knew two other people. Their experience helped my decision.

Hoping all goes well. I was shocked when I'd read about what your issue turned out to be. I remember your original surgery from some time ago. Do they know why this issue developed, or didn't heal properly for you? Oh, and has your surgeon had successful experience using these talons?

This may or not be helpful to you but following my valve surgery, my surgeon didn't want me to lift, push, or pull more than five pounds for eight weeks, nor drive, for optimal healing. I was wired and glued. Anyway, best wishes to you :) .

I googled the talons, and the main draw back I saw is that they have to come out at some point.

Given my experience this time around - I wouldn't want that route. My surgeon did an outstanding job closing up and I haven't felt any movement in my sternum at all. My surgeon did some studying under a plastic surgeon for a while and said he uses their techniques for closing the incision. Some special glue and dissolving stitches and he wired it tight as can be. For me, talons would have added an extra step that would not have been needed.

From what I read, I could see how and why the talons make sense, it's just getting them out that I wouldn't be a fan of. I've been cut enough. I'd discuss with your surgeon his closing techniques and see how comfortable you are without the talons before going that route. Do you know anyone that has used your surgeon before for open heart? I knew two other people. Their experience helped my decision.

Where did you see they HAVE to come out? From all I've read I know they stay in just like wires that they are used instead of, not an extra step. There are special instructions that you need to take them out IF they need to open you for another surgery ect. The way your surgeon closed you is pretty much the most common way.

Smiley do a search here for talons there are a few discussion about them and links to their site. Do you know how much of an area in your sternum didn't close? For Justin's last surgery he ended up with the sternal and under sternum infection and had surgery 10 days later.

Talons

Talons

I'll be pre-admitted on the 8th and will get an opportunity to discuss op with Surgeon and I'll ask him what the "clips" is that he referred to instead of using the sternal wires.

I tried to do a Google search on "Talons" in South Africa... non-existant! I thought so. We don't have that type of technology around here. They don't even do minimal invasive valve-ops or Robotic around here... Maybe in the BIG Hospitals like "Chris Barnard" in Cape Town, but I am in a different city.

Come to the 2010 Soccer and I'll show you where I live :p

http://www.klsmartin.com/Sternal-Talon-R.674+B6Jkw9Mg__.0.html

One of the medical "how to" movies I found showed there installation. I thought it had discussed their removal as well. I can't find that source now of course, but I did include a link for the OP to read up on the device.

I've seen the video /read about HOW they are removed, either by a key or if you don't have the key, they describe how to remove them, but that was just for if someonth happens that they need to reopen your chest in the future.

I'll be pre-admitted on the 8th and will get an opportunity to discuss op with Surgeon and I'll ask him what the "clips" is that he referred to instead of using the sternal wires.

I tried to do a Google search on "Talons" in South Africa... non-existant! I thought so. We don't have that type of technology around here. They don't even do minimal invasive valve-ops or Robotic around here... Maybe in the BIG Hospitals like "Chris Barnard" in Cape Town, but I am in a different city.

Come to the 2010 Soccer and I'll show you where I live :p

Good luck, IF it helps, Justin's sternum was "mush" to quote the surgeon,who did the surgery for the infection and cleaned up his sternum, but is fine now

Best of luck to you.....hopefully in a couple of weeks from now you will be telling us how well you slept the night before....on your side :)

Smiley,

Good luck to you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated when you can.

Latest posts

Back