Getting off Atenolol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acr

Hi All,

I'm almost 5 weeks out of surgery and had a follow up today to see if all is well, and I have been discharged from the Cardiac Surgeon, yay! I'm on 75mg Atenolol and asked about getting off it and was told to taper it off, ie. one week at 50, one week at 25. I also have Asthma and my GP/PCP was suprised that I was given Atenolol as it doesn't go well with Asthma, so I'm keen to get off this drug. I've noticed I'm using my inhalers more post surgery, but that could be because I never used 'em in hospital after the chest sawn in half thing as it was a little painful.

Anyone got experiences of doing this as my Google research shows that giving up Atenolol can be less than fun for a week or so after stopping it, until your system adjusts to being drug free.

Is there value in chopping 25 pills in half and go with 12.5, or is it worth alternating Atenolol days with Atenolol free days. Not quite sure why is was put on it in the first place, don't recall my blood pressure being high, though with a leaking Aortic valve I guess the BP numbers will be skewed? I can recall my heart rate going fast (99-ish) post surgery, I guess they were slowing that. I do plan to keep track of my heart rate as the drug gets stepped down, I'll also watch for AF and Tachycardia (never had either, fingers crossed), sound like a plan ?

Do exactly as told. Don't try to do it any other way. You risk sending your heart into wacko mode if you do.

Once your down to 25, none is fine. I did it once before, but ended up back on it. I'm taking 100mg per day now.

I was on atenolol for quite a few years. I was on it for tachycardia. I took 50mg. twice a day. I went off atenolol 4 days before my ablation. After my ablation I never took another atenolol. So far, so good. I would wean just as the doctor said. Best of luck to you.

I am on 25 mg a day and see my surgeon for my 3 month check up. I am hoping to get off the Coumadin and Atenolol then. I will let you know thursday after I get home...

advice

advice

Do exactly as told. Don't try to do it any other way. You risk sending your heart into wacko mode if you do.

I see you had the same surgery. Except I had Valve repair
My heat rate has been up
they have me on 3 metroprol 50 mg three times a day
I have been walking but as the weeks go on wednesday will be three weeks.
I am getting anxious.
how long did it take you to recover
also my MD has me on iron stating I am anemic right
also after surgery my sugars were up
but my doctor called now my sugars are low
any advice

I see you had the same surgery. Except I had Valve repair
My heat rate has been up
they have me on 3 metroprol 50 mg three times a day
I have been walking but as the weeks go on wednesday will be three weeks.
I am getting anxious.
how long did it take you to recover
also my MD has me on iron stating I am anemic right
also after surgery my sugars were up
but my doctor called now my sugars are low
any advice

It took me about 6 months to recover for the most part, but I was already 4ft into the grave before they got started on me.

Get copies of your records and blood tests. Find out just how anemic you are. Did they recommend getting some Ferrous Sulfate?

Latest posts

Back