Getting frustrated...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntbiker

No, it's not heart related. Of course I guess it really shouldn't go here but I was hoping one of you may be able to provide some insight.

As some of you may remember back in September during a six hour endurance MTB race I got severe leg cramps, to the point I couldn't get off the bike. Ever since then I have been getting leg cramps on rides over two hours. This past Friday I did a two hour ride and near the end the left leg cramped up. I drink plenty of fluid, over all I am a healthy eater, no fast food, lots of fruit and veggies. I added Ultima (low sodium electrolyte mix) after the last race. It doesn't seem to have helped. My cardio has only suggested seeking the help of a doc with a specialty in exercise physiology, I can't really justify the expense for that though. I have noticed that Atacand has muscle craps listed as a side effect resulting from loss of fluid. I wonder if this could be complicating the situation?

Race season has already started and I am not in shape. I need to be able to pick it up. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

By the way, my first race of the season ended in a DNF. Rode through a creek, caught a rock the wrong way and broke the front wheel. My wife had just bought me the new wheelset for Christmas. :eek:

You may have already tried this but have you had your potassium levels checked around the same time as the leg cramps happened? I get very bad cramps when my potassium is low and fluid loss can rob potassium very quickly. Even the electrolyte drinks will not always replenish enough. There are potassium supplements and prescription meds to help with this. However, since too high a potassium level can cause problems also, I would not add a supplement unless you know that is the reason for the cramping.

I used to get the 4AM variety a lot. I'd wake up from a perfectly sound sleep in agony. Two things helped me. Bananas every day which have high levels of potassium and calcium tablets.

Oh, I though this was a sex thread:eek: ;) ................Seriously, I did not post to this earlier because I am not a runner/athlete but I want to echo what Jack said. I have had leg cramps in the past and a banana a day cured it up, for me. I am sure this is frustrating for you and I hope you get it resolved soon.

Cramps

Cramps

It seems there are 2 things to look at: medication and electrolytes.

There are supplements to replace lost electrolytes during races.

If your medication has cramps as a possible side effect, meet with your doctor to see if something else could work.

I have had the 4 a.m. variety. Also, when I was taking aqua therapy for a back problem, the bottoms of my feet sometimes would cramp up when exercising in the pool. My physical therapist (who gave great foot massages for quick relief) suggested drinking more water and eating bananas for the potassium. I also have read that calcium may be helpful. Hope this becomes a less frustrating problem for you.

Along the lines of the banana thing i was prescribed coversyl 2.5mg after surgery by my cardio to assist the heart with shrinking.

I was told not to eat loads of potassium rich food while taking this as it is in effect a concentrated potassium itself.....i can have the odd banana but thats about it.

Perhaps you could get your cardio to prescribe it?

In a prior career, I was an exercise physiologist with the Univ. of Florida.

I want to make it clear that my advice is not to take the place of your own doctors.

Several things to look at;
1. hydration levels- cramping can be the result of inadequate hydration. Drink more water before as well as during the event and workout.
2. decreased levels of calcium and/or potassium in the diet.
increase your levels of calcium rich rich foods or try a calcium supplement, and not Tums. Also in order for calcium to be absorbed adequate vit D must also be ingested. Many people are Vit D deficient. Vit D supplements are inexpensive. A good one is Carlsons brand--it is a capsule, they sell it in 1 or 2 gram sizes. One gram a day would be a good start along with extra calcium.
3. Potassium is lost as we perspire. banana's as stated by the others are good, however, a can of low sodium V-8 has almost 3x the potassium as a banana, without all the extra sugar you would get from the banana.

Following heart surgery, most of us are watching their dietary sodium, and I would most definitely not add extra salt to the diet. We ingest all we need naturally, even though we are not adding extra, and staying away from sodium laiden foods.

4. try stretching good before your workouts, and warm up slowly for a few miles before hitting your cycling stride.

5. examine all your medications for cramps as a possible side effect, and discuss with your doctor.

Thank you for the responses and suggestions everyone. I greatly appreciate it. Gina, I have not had my levels checked when it happens. It occurs while I am out riding so I can't always get near civilization in any reasonable time frame.

backdoc: thanks for all the information. I do hydrate well, before during and after the ride. I eat plenty of banana's. I always stretch with proper warm up and cool down.

I started using Ultima http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/ultimaingredients.php
which has potassium and other stuff. If you don't mind giving an opinion on it. I start drinking it about 30 minutes prior to my workout and bring enough for use throughout the ride.

I was also considering adding the hammer endurolytes which are supposed to be quick acting and they are in tablet form so I could bring several with me on longer rides. They have a lot more sodium though.

Thanks again everyone!

Edit: just wanted to add that I never get cramps at night or any other time, only when I am out riding. Shouldn't be fitness related since I will do a 4 hour hard ride one day and then cramp on a 2 hour ride 2 days later.

Everytime I look at this thread, I am reminded that I intend to make a study of these types of minerals and figure them out some day :rolleyes: .

Do you know if any of the meds (or any other supplements you might take) can contribute to any type of mineral inbalance? There were some things my dad took which made his sodium extremely low and his potassium extremely high--a reverse of many other heart patients--so I know meds can really mess with our mineral balance.

Hope you get it all figured out and can continue to safely enjoy vigorous mountain biking. Take care.

after looking at the link, I don't think it is any better or any worse then the comparison products.

Most definitely check your meds for possible side effects and you may want to have specific blood work done to look for anything out of whack.

Good luck.

I used to have the same problem with my running. I ate a banana a day and took postassium supplements too. It help some but the only thing for me that made a difference was a calcium supplement. I now take a combination of Calcium, magnesium and zinc (supposedly in the right balance for proper absorbsion) and rarely have a problem. When I sat around reading or watching TV or at bedtime my legs would jump all over the place. Since I've been on the supplement, it also rarely happens. I get them at WalMart.
Staying hydrated is also important as just about every other posts suggests, but you already do that.

I've had some calf cramping issues as well - running. It happened last March and because I kept going, I strained the muscles. After a month off I was fine until November when it happened again in the other leg. I stopped right away and it only took a week before I was running again. That convinced me that it is cramps. I've been drinking Gatorade daily and dosing before and after a run. I've now taken 3 weeks off trying to heal the calves and a sore bunion. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I have scheduled an appointment to have a physical with my GP (haven't had one of those in years) and will discuss this issue with her. It is scheduled for the middle of February, I will update if any possible resolution is found.

Cramps

Cramps

Hey MtnBiker,

It sounds like previous posts have pretty well covered the calcium, potassium, and medication things.

Hope, the crash that left your wheel broken didn't result in any major bumps and bruises.

The six weeks I've spent in this walking cast for my broken foot have really put the stops on my winter training program. Bummer!

-Philip

Latest posts

Back