Getting a good blood drop for those that self test

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

I am probably going to make a video of this but here is something that I have been doing for several months now and has worked really well for me.

Equipment: I use CoaguCheck XS, but anything should work.
Lancets: Any brand you like will work.
Fingers: Any, including the pinky. Left hand only since I am a righty.

Procedure:
1. wash hands with soap and bring a clean towel or in my case fresh bounty towel with you.
2. pour medium hot water into a mug. Should be not be so hot that it's painful, but hot enough that its just about comfortable level.
3. prep your lancets, your device and insert your strip into device, and follow you device instructions.
4. place as much of your hand (the one from which you will get a blood sample from) as you can fit into the mug, its only 30-455 seconds, no worries.
5. as soon as your meter beeps and is ready, take your hand out and dry with earlier prepared towel
6. pick your victim to poke (I rotate through my fingers every week), poke said victim and massage from base of finger towards the middle
7. observe the largest blood drop ever since everything is nice, hot and warm and place said drop on your strip. <----- this is the magic, hot water gets the blood flowing and warms up everything to flow nice, fast and even.
8. let your machine do its magic. Meanwhile, you can use the clean towel to place some pressure on your victim finger and clean up.

Not sure if anyone else does this, but if getting a good drop was ever an issue for you or if you feel like you are steam-rolling your fingers this will ease the procedure and make things easier.

Best,
GymGuy

Thanks - I'm still struggling from time to time with a small blood drop. I'll try the warm water in the mug next time. Rubber band around the finger has helped some. At least I've learned that if I get a poor drop, it's not worth it to waste a strip, just quickly move to another finger and try again.

Rubber band around the finger has helped some. At least I've learned that if I get a poor drop, it's not worth it to waste a strip, just quickly move to another finger and try again.

if I may ask, where are you banding, and for how long are you leaving it? If you don't see any change in fingertip colour (no need to lance, just check it out) then its not going to work. Are you wrapping once or around a few times? I wrap around a few times to make it a wider "bandage" rather than a narrow but tighter one.

also, how's your hydration levels? If you're not well hydrated you may have less blood in the extremities.
best of luck with it all :)

I've been using the finger in hot water trick for a few months now as well; made a big difference for me in consistently getting a nice big drop for my InRatio2. I usually swing my arm pretty vigorously after I take my hand out of the water to push the blood down into the extremities a little bit more too. Very rare that I don't get a big enough drop since adopting this procedure:)

I have gotten into a habit of wetting a paper towel and then putting in microwave for 8 to 10 seconds and then putting it on the finger of choice and then going upstairs to do the blood test. Machine is out and ready for strip to be put in. Seems to work pretty good, but will try cup of water next time.

I also had to learn that I had 180 seconds, so cannot panick if not enough the first time. I use the single use lancets and keep couple extra out in case needed for 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Thanks for the tip Vadim. I do have a problem getting a good drop of blood. It's kind of ironic that the one time we actually want to bleed we don't.

Gary

Good advice. I've also found that keeping my hand hanging down below the rest of my body gets a drop to form fast.

I think this is key also. Last time I tested I noticed that after I applied my drop I lowered my hand to my lap and got a big drop like I wanted in the first place.

This would also probably not apply to many women, but I've found that if I test my blood right after shaving, I usually get a good drop. The combination of movement of my hands, and warm water, seems to dilate the blood in my fingertips. There are times, though, that it's just not easy to get that good drop, no matter what we do to get it.

It almost sounded as if some of you may have tried for a second drop, perhaps squeezing the finger after you've made the incision. For every meter but the ProTime, the blood must be collected within fifteen minutes of making the incision -- the blood you get after this has already started to clot, and would throw off the INR.

Good point protime, I find that if I am doing something active before the test the blood flows very well too. BTW, I know you meant 15 seconds ;)

I haven't had a problem getting a good blood drop since my surgery. My dad on the other hand, who was taking warfarin for atrial fib, couldn't get a good drop with the 'normal' poker no matter what he did. We tried the hot water, we tried flinging his hand, we tried holding it below his waist. The issue was the callouses on his fingers and/or skin thickness. If he went into the hospital they used a different poker that must have had a longer stroke or something...

Latest posts

Back