Genetic Testing for Warfarin Sensitivity-did you?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, folks-
I'm having a mechnical valve implanted in January (On-X AVR). Did any of you proactively have the genetic test for warfarin sensitivity done? Is this a routine test? Seems like it would be good know before you start taking it.

Most patients do NOT have the genetic test done. I'm thinking that it is expensive and there may be insurance issues.

The usual routine is to start you on 5 mg/day of warfarin and monitor closely to see if you need more or less to get to your desired range. You will probably be on Heparin until your INR is in range so you will be protected by the Heparin (which does NOT show up in the INR test because it works on a different part of the clotting function).

'AL Capshaw'

I think it's a great idea..!!

I think it's a great idea..!!

http://www.clotcare.com/warfaringenetictesting.aspx

That's a link to an article regarding genetic testing for warfarin. There are two tests:

The test that can estimate a patient's sensitivity to warfarin is referred to as the VKORC1 (vitamin K epoxide reductase) test.
--and--
The test that can estimate a patient's rate of warfarin metabolism is referred to as the 2C9 or CYP2C9 test.

They price the a single test at $250 and both tests at $500 which is very reasonable compared to the genetic testing for the BRAC breast cancer gene at $3,000 which some insurances do cover.

Latest posts

Back