gastrointestinal endoscopy --antibiotics and bleeding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mommywri

My daughter Christina (13 years old) will probably be undergoing endoscopy soon. I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure and what types of prophylactic antibiotics and concerns I should have about bleeding. Is it typical to stop taking coumadin for a period of time prior to the procedure. Christina has had endocarditis twice before so understandably we are all nervous about this procedure. Any advice would be most appreciated.

--Martha (mom to Christina, Truncus Arteriosus, pacemaker, AVR 10/02, on coumadin, primary immune deficiency, etc.)

Hi-

My husband had an endoscopy recently when he was hospitalized. He was already off Coumadin and on a Heparin drip prior to the procedure, and they did medicate him with antibiotics before the procedure. The procedure was without incident. He had had one before several years ago and that also was without incident.

I would make sure everything related to this procedure is brought to the cardiologist's attention prior to the proedure, and that he gives his approval for how the anticoagulation and antibiotics are going to be handled. Not every gastroenterologist is aware of the intricacies of Coumadin management, or antibiotic management for valve patients. It takes special expertise that the cardiologist has.

I wish her luck, she'll be fine. Joe has never complained about it. They do give you something to relax you quite nicely.

cardiologist

cardiologist

I second what Nancy said.
Medtronic

I'm not on coumadin

I'm not on coumadin

but last spring I had an endocopy and a colonoscopy. The doctor put me on antibiotic drip before, and I couldn't leave, even after I woke up, until it was gone.

Dear Martha, It sounds like you and Christina have been thru so much already. I know youre scared. I had an endoscopy 2 months ago and took Amoxicilin prior to procedure and did fine. I was not on Coumadin at the time so I dont know if they stop it or not.

Im wishing the best for your family. Let us know how it goes, okay?

AVR & Colonoscopy

AVR & Colonoscopy

Hi Martha,
I had my AVR on 4/12/02 and a colonoscopy on 1/08/03. They had me stop taking aspirin 5 days prior to the colonoscopy, and, since I had an IV for the happy drug, they gave me penicillian through the IV. They chose penicillian since that is what they gave me some 5 years prior for the same procedure. I have a tissue valve and am not on coumindin. I did get the distinct impression that had I not kept on insisting on an antibiotic they might have forgot about it. The procedure was "uneventfull" with good results.
Your daughter's situation sounds more serious than mine regarding the need for antibiotics. If it were my child I think I would have someone there to make sure that she actually receives the antibiotics.
Best wishes,
Don
AVR; MI; 4/02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Latest posts

Back