Funny(?) letter from ATS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

Wasn't sure where to put this. My husband got a letter from ATS this week. My heart dropped at first thinking it was a recall on his aortic valve. I usually don't open his mail but he was still at work and I couldn't wait. It was a form type letter wanting to know if he still had his valve and thanking him for choosing it. He has had it nearly 7 1/2 years. It asked that we notify them if we had a change of address,etc. When my husband got home from work I showed him the letter. He said he was glad to know they were keeping up with him. I told him they probably had a tracking device and knew everything he did. He said he hoped they didn't know everything. Gotta love him after 40 years. Has anyone else got a similar letter from their valve manufacturers?

terryj said:
Wasn't sure where to put this. My husband got a letter from ATS this week. My heart dropped at first thinking it was a recall on his aortic valve. I usually don't open his mail but he was still at work and I couldn't wait. It was a form type letter wanting to know if he still had his valve and thanking him for choosing it. He has had it nearly 7 1/2 years. It asked that we notify them if we had a change of address,etc. When my husband got home from work I showed him the letter. He said he was glad to know they were keeping up with him. I told him they probably had a tracking device and knew everything he did. He said he hoped they didn't know everything. Gotta love him after 40 years. Has anyone else got a similar letter from their valve manufacturers?

I got a fright too as I read the first half of your post :eek:
I got my ATS 8 weeks ago, so might have a wee while to wait :(

Don't like the sound of that tracking device....I haven't been to work in over 2 months...but seen out shopping, at football....pub.....cinema.....:p

TerryJ
I certainly understand your trepidation when receiving the letter from ATS as being notification of a recall and the relief you felt when you discovered it wasn't. Had there been a problem with the valve it probably would have occurred by now.

I wonder if the valve manufacturer is keeping statistics on their success rate.

Tracking device=global positioning? Think of the implications.

In 2000 when a valve was recalled from the market it was publicized over the media. A marvelous way to receive bad news but effective.

Individual patients, to my knowledge, were not notified. I think it was left to the surgeons/hospitals but I could be wrong about that.

I most certainly would have opened that letter as fast you did.

Nice to know all is well.

The letter is designed to make sure your still contactable in event of device recall. I think you'd want to be informed if that happened.

lance said:
BadMad
I certainly understand your trepidation when receiving the letter from ATS as being notification of a recall and the relief you felt when you discovered it wasn't. Had there been a problem with the valve it probably would have occurred by now.

I wonder if the valve manufacturer is keeping statistics on their success rate.

Tracking device=global positioning? Think of the implications.

In 2000 when a valve was recalled from the market it was publicized over the media. A marvelous way to receive bad news but effective.

Individual patients, to my knowledge, were not notified. I think it was left to the surgeons/hospitals but I could be wrong about that.

I most certainly would have opened that letter as fast you did.

Nice to know all is well.

Lance

It was Terry J who got the letter :eek:
Yeh, the ATS has been on the market 15/16 years now.

Wouldn't be nice to find out something like that by switching on the tele :eek:

Hear ye, hear ye...

Hear ye, hear ye...

BINGO Lance.. When St. Jude Medical recalled their St. Jude Master Series Silzone valve I found out about it on this exact forum - as primitive as it was in Jan. 2000. My mother read it in the newspaper, friends called me but I never heard one word from St. Jude Medical and still haven't to this day. I called my surgeon's office and eventually got a letter from him..

The letter is designed to make sure your still contactable in event of device recall. I think you'd want to be informed if that happened.
Uh, you sure about that Ross?!?!

Yes Sue, I know all about that "heart stopping" moment...and very thankful your hubby doesn't have a recalled valve.

Bad Mad said:
Lance

It was Terry J who got the letter :eek:
Yeh, the ATS has been on the market 15/16 years now.

Wouldn't be nice to find out something like that by switching on the tele :eek:

Thanks for the heads up.

Sheza Girlie

My son callled explaining there was a segment on the 11 o'clock news about a SJM recalled valve. Being an "old foggey" I was in bed. So I watched for it on the next day's news where it was announced. Contacting the surgeon's office was a total waste of time. Secretary had no knowledge of a valve recall, I was the first to call about it, from her all that was forthcoming was "I don't know, I don't know". And like yourself still it remains. So receiving a letter from ATS was almost a quarantee all is fine.

Interesting info, since we know some important things like these (valves, pacers, pacer wires, related surgical materials) occasionally get recalled. Post-op, I received a fancy plastic card in the mail from my valve manufacturer and my little piggy has a serial number and everything--as your valves no doubt also do--and I'm supposed to notify them of any contact changes related to me and/or my cardio also.

Some time ago I read about some surgical material from Medtronics that was recalled and I wondered if it could be the material that I have between my heart and sternum--placed there to inhibit my heart from scarring to the sternum in consideration of the possibility of an eventual reop--no serial number there so how could they know what I have? I'm hoping no news is good news...

Or perhaps the material could be a protective kryptonite shield, or a GPS tracking device...

My husband has the plastic info card also. I keep one in purse in case his gets lost. He also wears a medic alert watch type bracelet. We try and do all the right things and not think about it too much. The letter was just another reminder that he has something foreign in his body and we need to be aware of it.

Sue, I think in that situation I would have reacted the very same way that you described your reaction! I forgot to mention that I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a frightening situation for you and Terry, afterall. Perhaps they were just updating their patient files and such. And I thought your tracking device comment was really cute and fun.

ID cards arrive

ID cards arrive

The Medtronics ID cards arrived the day after I picked up my husband's ashes. I phoned the surgeon's office to ask that they stop future mailings. The woman who answerd the phone yelled at me for calling as I am not a patient!

susan

Latest posts

Back