Fuller Heartbeat Feeling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

This may sound weird, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a phenomenon after surgery of your heartbeats feeling fuller. When I get up and walk to the bathroom and notice my heartbeat, it just feels more powerful and full. Dr. Cameron told me that he got rid of all the leakage that previously was present in my BAV. Could this lack of leakage be something I would notice? And would it present itself this way? My wife listening to my chest recently noticed the same thing: a strong, firm heartbeat.

I am just curious. Thanks!

I had AVR, and the first night in the step-down unit, I had my own hands across my throat, I thought my heart was going to come leaping out my mout, it was beating so hard! Turns out I had high blood pressure, they removed an aorta that had a hole the size of a pencil lead in it, and replaced it with something in the range of 23mm (can't remember the exact size right now), so my super-heart was just shoving all this blood out at high speed and pressure - like trying to water your garden with a pressure-washer, I guess!

I think this is normal...my heart after surgery was pounding and when I woke up at night or early morning, I would hear a strong 'thump thump thump thump'. All this was a part of the heart healing itself from what it went through. With time it will get less and less and then back to the *healthy normal*.

Every night (if I sleep), when I lay on my left or my back, my heart pounds and feels like it is going to choke me, so it's either right side or back on the chaise. ...*I do take 50 mg's of Metoprolol a day, maybe it's not enough. I had my aorta repaired (aneurysm removed).

Linda

Absolutely!

I remember lying in bed at night, and I thought my heart would just leap out of my chest. Seriously, I thought I might have a heart attack! It's your heart remodeling itself, after the surgery. I sure wish my cardio had prepared me for that!

I promise, it definitely does get much better!

See.....this is why I read all this stuff....Can't tell you how many times I almost called the ambulance!
Thanks!

For the first several weeks I had a very strong sensation of my heart pounding in my left ear (just the left for some reason). I told the doctor and he said it was completely normal. My surgery was July 7th and I no longer have the sensation and don't really know when it disappeared but it has. It's always good to read that others have experienced the same even when docs are telling us that something is normal. I always like to back up the doctor opinion with the been there experts. Happy healing.

Dont warry, this is normal...I am also feeling the same even today. As per my doc due to valve the sound comes . He also laughed at me told that the sound is the dis advantge of valve and advantage is by hearing sound u can tell ur valve is working properly.

SRIINIVAS

srinivas Heart History:
13/6/2008 2D Echo Diagnosed Ascending Aortic Dissection ,Bicuspid aortic valve, Moderate AR at the age of 38(2008)
9/6/08 CT scan shows Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection extending upto brachio cephalic trunk and mild aneurysm
16/07/08 Operative findings & repair. Aortic aneurysm approx size 10 cms diameter.Aneurysm extd upto 1c m from innomiate artery. Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery procedure done to repair my anueuysm with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit(SN 84094003.REF25CAVGJ-51400 AOROTIC VALVED GRAFT) At CARE Hospital Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India. Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan gave me re birth! Dr . Sridar,Dr.Amreesh, Dr.Jagannatham completed the formalities.

I have had the pounding since my surgery - just over 6 weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be lessening but my blood pressure isn't high. Just feels like it is :) I had an enlarged heart and was warned that I might feel this way. I mainly just wish it didn't feel like it was my throat that was beating so hard! Good to hear that it will (hopefully) lessen a bit.

Great question - I was wondering the same thing!

Not always but sometimes I feel that pounding feeling that seems very powerful and other times I have no feeling of this sensation. My heart rate and blood pressure are usually the same in either instance so I did as my doctor while I was still in the hospital. He told me my heart was healing and had a normal sinus rhythm and should subside after several weeks. My blood pressure is low, however my heart is elevated and that too should level out after a few weeks. If it doesn't feel better in a few weeks I will ask on my follow-up appt and report back if there is anything else that could be attributed to this.

Let us know if you find anything out from your doc.

Lori

cbdheartman
I also have felt the same sensation. When i was at the hospital i could actually fell my body move with each heartbeat that is how strong it was. It has lessened now about 5 weeks after surgery. They had told me it may because during surgery the heart is moved out of its protective "pocket" of fluids and fat and other organs that cushion it. It takes some time before that cushion is restored. They also said it happens in thinner people more often than heavy people. It sounded like hooey at the time but it does seem to be lessening.

I was about 8 weeks post op when this started. I hate the feeling of your heart beating in your throat. I thought it was stress because we sold our house and now the buyers are backing out so I've been really stressed since we had movers booked and were all packed. I told my cardiologist about 3 weeks ago and he said the heart pounding in the chest and neck is totally normal. He explained that when I was in the hospital, they loaded me up with Amiodarone which kept my heart from pounding like this. He told me it's annoying but not dangerous. And then he insisted I go back on the Amiodarone for 2-3 months until my heart is happy again. I'm seeing him on Monday and am not happy because I am still getting the pounding feeling at least 3 days a week.

6.5 weeks post op and mine still pounds away. My heart rate has dropped so that is good. I recommend running a fan at night, the dull noise of the fan overpowers the noise of my valve, and I can sleep much easier.

I have it big time, now 20 months after surgery. I am getting used to it slowly however. There are numerous threads about this, like Seth's Sternum pounding: http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29590 which ended up in a study he performed.

There are many explanations, like less padding after the heart sack is opened, scar tissue, water hammer effect in the dacron graft, valve, streght of the beats if leakage is fixed etx. But so far no solutions. I do sense however that you have it less serious, which defintely means that it is nothing to fear.

I sense rather than hear it even when I am on airplanes or drive my motorcycle. It is almost like the bed rattles of the heart beats.

::g

Latest posts

Back