Frequency of Tests?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chocolate

Chocolate

Al, it's great to see such humor from our resident Coumadin expert!
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

BTW: keep up the serious good work, too. Seriously, I have learned so much from you and others on vr.com. I think I have my Coumadin in control, then wham! a new twist affects me and I come on board to try and learn a little more about it. And, there's always an answer!

Now, if only all vr.com members could get their clinics to come here once in awhile, maybe they'd listen and learn too and not rely so much on "hocus-pocus" treatments?!

THANK YOU, AL.

p.s. Have you marked your calendar for the trip this October to meet some of us at the Reunion in Las Vegas?

I'm going to try to make it to Las Vegas.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I had 75,000 visitors to my site in 2001. Last Sunday, in spite of or because of the Super Bowl, I had by far the biggest day ever - over 1200 hits in one day. Yesterday I got my 79th country that people have logged on from.

Marty, I read your post about the "S". My Cardiologist recently bought an "S" identical to mine. In the US, is Roche only selling the "S" to Doctors and not individuals? That does not make much sense.

Gina M,
You suppose it could be the beta-blocker? Oh thank goodness! I thought it was because I snack too much or do very little exercising! hehehe And Allowick, if chocolate interferred with coumadin we would be in BIG trouble. I even told my doc that. DO NOT TELL ME I CAN'T HAVE CHOCOLATE!

Hi Cookie,

The weight gain could most likely be caused by the Beta Blocker because it does slow your heart rate down. that means your metabolism is slower.

Now, there are many good things that beta blockers do for you. So, realizing this, and vanity aside, you need to talk this over with your doctor if you are thinking of getting off them.

Personally, I believe that the benefits I gain from being on the beta blocker far outweigh the weight gain.. No pun intended!

So, what do we do if we stay on the beta blockers.. adjust our food intake. If we burn less calories.. then.. adjust our food intake so that the extra calories don't turn into fat cells. Eat smaller portions, and perhaps a more heart healthy diet.

Anyway.. seems to work for me.

Rob

Last edited:
Gina & Cookie

Gina & Cookie

Gina and Cookie, You reminded me...last week I was on my Weight Watcher's board and a lady wrote in that she was so happy...she had just gone shopping for some new jeans...picked a size 8 and was happy. When she got home, she noticed they were really a size 6...she was REALLY happy. Well that is cool, but I noticed in her weight info she only weighed 7 # more than me and I'm a far piece from a size 8 or 6. Another reader asked her how tall she is and she said 5'11. See I'm not pudgy, I'm just under tall. Oh well back on plan.

For you tall people, read about Marfan Syndrome. It includes being tall, long arms and legs, long fingers and problems with the aorta. I do not have a place to recommend but you can find some things on the internet and see how many apply to you. There is some speculation that Abraham Lincoln had this and since it was well before the days of heart surgery and valves, John Wilkes Booth could have saved himself the trouble since Lincoln probably did not have long to live anyhow.

About the CoaguChek-S. I was told by someone in the company that when the CoaguChek was developed, (It wasn't Roche in those days) that they based their budget on their previous experience with diabetic glucose meters. It turned out that warfarin-takers called the customer support number so many times more than diabetics that the could not sell the machine for a high enough price. Remember too, there were several models competing in those days and all but ProTime have since vanished.

I received a call the other day for a company doing market research for Bayer diagnostics. They wanted to know what I considered to be the ideal meter. Evidently Bayer is working on something. I guess they never heard of Exanta or they do not think that it is going to sweep the market as fast as Astra Zeneca people think that it is.

Cookie.....everything Rob stated and more.

The beta blocker is the culprit for the weight gain. After coming off the Inderal and on the low dose Atenolo....have lost 5 pounds in water. In 4 days. I could not get my ring it fit!
Yes, I feel great on the beta blocker. But when your cholesterol is less than desirable things need to change. My diet was drastically reduced. I do not eat anything high in fat. 1000 calories a day....and nothing was happening.
Slow heart rate = snail pace matabolizium. I was litterally skidding my wheels on my sationery bike. Will meet with the doc again next week. I don't like the way the Atenolo makes me feel.

Latest posts

Back