For those who travelled to have their OHS, how long until you could fly back home?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS2

Just wondering how long until you could fly back home after your surgery? Or did you have to drive home (assuming you travelled a distance far enough that you would normally fly instead of drive).

I haven't found much info on this, and I am sure a surgeon could answer this for me, but just seeing what some of your personal experience with flying after surgery was like. Thanks.

Hi, I flew home from the Mayo clinic in Rochester MN, to NC at either day 9 or 10 post op (can't remember exactly which). They advised me to use a wheelchair throughout the airports, which I did, and I didn't have any problems.

Kim

Hi, my cardio told me I could drive home to Colorado from California. After my surgery, I did not want to be in a car that long (16 hours) and bought plane tickets a couple days before discharge from my surgery. My sister flew out and flew home with me- making one connection through Denver. It was a really long day and I was only 6 days post-op. But, my husband did arrange for rides through the airport and this was crucial for conserving my precious post-op energy. I made it home on the same day and was really tired but was also really glad I didn't make the drive. I told my cardio she should reconsider her advice that driving home is OK! I didn't want to drive that far especially through sparsely populated areas.
Bottom line: Flying was OK for me. Beware of traveling when it is flu season or similar and wash your hands a lot. The last thing I wanted was a cold or worse. Wear a face mask if you need to. Bring waterless hand cleaner with you. Don't touch your face or mouth to reduce the chance of getting sick.

At about 14 days post-op from Cleveland to Pensacola w/layover in Atlanta. Wheelchair transport was paramount, but otherwise everything was 1/3 as bad as I envisioned. I would definately recommend flight over driving any long distance.

Due to the complexity of my surgery, I was in the hospital for 3 weeks at CCF, When they released me, they asked that I stay in town for a few days before flying home. Flying was not an issue, but once I did get home, I developed fluid buildup, and had to go back into Vanderbilt Hospital, a local Nashville hospital, for another week.

Rob

Thanks everyone for your replies! It is good to know that I will be able to fly a few weeks after surgery back home. I heard one statement that you arent supposed to fly for 6 months afterwards so I was a little concerned. But thank you for the reassurance.

I had my surgery at Mass General which is short driving distance from our home but my surgeon and cardio permitted me to fly two months post op both of my OHS for vacations. We booked non-stop flilghts and I was fine. I don't think anyone here has ever mentioned having to wait 6 months to fly unless there was some extreme condition from which they were suffering.

It's just such an energy sapper going through airports and, of course, keep in mind the inability to lift anything until your sternum has healed. Those with an opened sternum are only permitted to lift 10-15 pounds, it varies a little surgeon to surgeon but they really mean it. If flying, you can't begin to think of lifting anything into the overhead storage bins on a plane. All you can manage is a small, very lightweight tote that fits under the seat.

Latest posts

Back