For those of you who have gone thru surgery more recently...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri73

Ok for me it's been almost 12 years... and I'm nearing the corner to go in for surgery again.

If all goes swimmingly, how should I feel about 4 weeks out? I LOVE Taylor Swift, and just found out she's coming here on August 9th, just barely 4 weeks after my surgery. I would love to go, but just am not sure if my energy level will be up to it by then... will I even be able to scream? :)

Tickets go on sale today - thought about just buying them and then giving them away if I can't go. :(

Just thought I'd see how those of you who have gone thru it more recently than I felt at that point.

Thanks!
Kerri

I have not gone through surgery yet. I am a huge country music fan. There are some folks I might be willing to go see 4 weeks post op. Just Taylor is not one. I have never understood her appael. George Strait, Sugarland, Reba, Carry Underwood, George Jones and more but not Taylor. To each their own I guess.

Hi Kerri, I am six weeks out and wouldn't even want to go to a concert. My daughter had a school concert at school at 5 weeks post op and that was more than enough and I was sitting for the whole thing.

Good luck with your decision. I know recovery goes differently for everyone but 4 weeks is pretty early for anyone.

If you do decide to go, have fun. I love her too.

I'm not even two weeks post-op but feel that if I didn't have to walk a great distance to get into the venue and had the ability to sit when I was tired I would go NOW. I plan on seeing No Doubt at Summerfest when I'm six weeks out and will have to walk quite a bit to get there but have a seat if I need to sit down. If you called ahead I bet the venue would be able to get a cart/wheelchair for you just to get inside. You might even consider contacting Taylor Swifts "people" on line thru a fan site they may help make a special arrangement for you.

I personally think if you have something nice like that to look forward to your recovery could go that much better.

Good Luck!

Hmm. I think I would have felt a lot better 4 weeks out if I'd not gotten an infection! So I can't really say. But I think you should go ahead and buy the tickets, as kschul says - it might be something you can look forward to, which might even help you recover. As long as you are not talking yourself into thinking you are well enough to go if you clearly aren't!
Let us know what you decide :)

Melissa

GO! Get the tickets, wjile you are on the phone with them, explain your circumstances; ask about special seating/wheelchair availability etc. You can probably be dropped off at front door while car is parked by whoever is going with you. If you hit a bump, yes, you can always get rid of the tickets. Have you heard of/used Kijiji?

I had surger Sept 6, opened new retail store Oct. 1st, and I have agood few years on you!

Well I am 4 weeks and two days out from my AVR. If I had a concert to go to tonight I would be absolutley fine with the walk and energy. I will say that I was recently at my daughters softball game and I still can not scream as it hurts to do so. Whistling is also difficult. As far as energy- I am 33 years old, I did loose about 15 pounds from surgery but my stamina right now is pretty good. I stopped all my pain meds and use tylenol about once a day now. In all honesty- for men, the four week mark had been a strong step.

Good luck and I hope you have fun. Let us know if you buy the tickets.

Kerri,
I would buy the tickets. Get hubby to rent a wheelchair if you need it and go have some fun. You might not feel up to jumping to your feet, but when you buy the tickets as about special seating. Maybe the seats would be super close.:D

I would buy the tix. Of course everyone is different and every surgery for 1 person is different, but FWIW, Actually with that goal, it might even help your recovery knowing you have the chance to do something you really like in 4 weeks and if it is a place with seating, even if you are tired you can sit down. Justin was younger, but we bought Greenday tix, before one of his surgeries the concert was about a month after. For his last surgery (5th) we actually had all kinds of reservations (rented a house for a week tix ect) ect for him to go to Cooperstown for Cal Ripkens Hall of Fame thing.(Justin's make a wish was to meet Cal, the last year Cal played) It ended up he had some complications so we borrowed a wheelchair (since Cooperstown is ALOT of walking and standing in line and an all day event in the heat.) I just checked his page, he had surgery June 19th and then another 5 hour surgery June 29th got out of the hospital July 7th and the Calthing was in Cooperstown (7 hours away) July 29th.
Since he really wanted to go he walked alot, used his spig alot and I think all around felt better sooner because he had that goal in his mind. Especially after the 2nd surgery he was very determined.

I would buy the tickets and ask about special seating. If you use a wheelchair (if you need to), they usually have a special section for that. The one thing I would say is to make sure you protect your sternum while there. If you are not in a special section and just in the general admission section, people can get a little rowdy and I would hate for you to be feeling great (for 4 weeks out) and have someone accidently elbow you or something. As for the screaming, I don't think you will be able to do much of that, I wasn't able to, but I did go to a family reunion about 8 hrs away in my 4th week after surgery and did ok. Each persons recovery time is different but if I could have gone to a country concert in my 4th week of recovery I would have gone!!!! Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!!!

Thanks everyone - I think I'll go for it! :) I'll go to the arena physically tomorrow and buy the tickets, that way I can make sure they're exactly where I want them - special seating or at least where I don't have to walk up a ton of stairs to get out.

Thanks again for all the advice! I'll keep you posted!
Kerri

By all means go. At 8 weeks I'm working my ass off--at least you can sit in a wheelchair if you like and enjoy yourself. And do go for the special seating. Milk it for what it's worth (although you will probably be well qualified)--and you can always show 'em your scar!

I agree with most of the guys, you should be ok, at 4 weeks post op i think i could of gone, have a good sleep in the afternoon so you got lots of energy for the concert.
I have never heard of Taylor Swift she must be a big US star coz all you guys know of her.
As others say it will give you something to look forward too.
Take Care
Jane

Unfortunately, it is hard to say where you will be in 4 weeks. I personally was just on the cusp of being ok with something like that at 4 weeks. I really wanted to go see the Brewers but was scared of walking up to the cheap seats. Everyone is different. I have had three surgeries now and the recovery from each has been very different. This is the hardest one. I am at seven weeks and just now starting to feel mildly normal.

As most have said, I would buy the tickets. It gives you something to work toward, but you really need to wait until that day to judge whether you will be ready to go. And be careful because it can be difficult to judge. At three weeks, I had been keeping up with my walks and thought I was doing alright so I decided to go shopping with my girlfriend in downtown Chicago, within 45 minutes or so I felt like I couldn't get a breath and could only shuffle down the street barely putting one foot in front of the other.

I'd go. Barring any complications, if you are otherwise fit and healthy, you should be fine to sit through a concert at 4 weeks post op. Do the checking out the venue stuff beforehand though, it will put your mind at rest.

I went to my son's school end-of-year concert 8 days after my operation. The teachers got me a comfortable chair and put it by the doors so I could have fresh air (it was very hot and humid in the hall) and one of them even made me a fan out of a piece of paper, LOL, and kept fanning me and asking if I was okay:):) I think they couldn't believe I had actually made it to the concert.
Of course, it was only one and a half hours long, and I went straight home to bed afterwards.

As others have said, I think you should buy the tickets and plan on going. Before my second OHS I got tickets to The Police concert, which was three months after. It sounds crazy, but in a way that was my incentive to have the surgery.. of course, my kids and family are really, but to have something exciting to look forward to like that, it was like keeping my eye on the prize so I could get through, get well, and go enjoy an amazing show (it was!) I don't know how well I felt after 4 weeks, but everyone is different. It was nice having a fun night out like that after such an ordeal.

Your stamina is going to be in the basement, but if you can get a wheelchair, nothing wrong with sitting through the concert.

Back