For those in the waiting room: a brief summary of my days in the hospital!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Anne

I posted this in the post-op thread, but I don't know how often those in the waiting room visit that thread, so I hope you don't mind if I also post it here:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm home, wearing cozy pajamas after the best shower EVER, and I thought I'd take a couple of minutes to add a few details about my surgical experience for those yet to go through it. I found this kind of post very helpful when I was in the waiting room, so now I'm paying it....backward?

DAY ONE: This was Surgery Day, so I got up at 5 and my husband drove me into San Francisco for my 6 AM roll call. Everything went very smoothly despite the pre-op staging area resembling a bus station, and I was wheeled into the OR at 7:30. I wasn't as nervous as I'd thought I would be; my primary emotion was relief that the day had come and I would get my heart fixed at last.

I woke up in the ICU at 3PM with the breathing tube still in. My husband was there, and he told me that the surgeon had been surprised by how bad my valve looked given my lack of significant symptoms, and thought I'd notice a big difference. I was more about noticing the breathing tube at that moment, which I wanted out immediately. Although it wasn't claustrophobic, as I'd feared, and it was a lot smaller than I'd expected, there was still some gagging and flailing as they sat me up to cough it out that was, at least, over quickly. For those who fear the breathing tube, I will say that if you do wake up with it still in, it won't feel that bad (just breathe with it), and any gagging business during extraction will be short.

DAY TWO: Graduation from ICU! In the morning I took my first and only walk around the cardiac ICU, during which I guarantee you you will see a lot of people far worse off than you (which, if you're a small person like me, will make you feel much better about your situation). Then I was moved to a small private room in Cardiac Recovery. Here, in the afternoon, I had my only episode of AFib: my heart rate spiked to the 170s for 11 seconds. Within a minute, all 8 members of my surgical team were crammed into my teeny tiny room (if you ever want to be the most important person in a room, go into AFib in a Cardiac Unit). My head surgeon, though, decided it wasn't a big deal and was likely caused by the extreme low blood pressure (70/50) and anemia I was discovered to be suffering from, compounded by my just-ended walk. They gave me another unit of blood, some other stuff, and some iron, and banned me from walking for the rest of the day. Worse, from my perspective: they decided to wait to remove my chest tubes until the next day. The chest tubes are pretty much what you've heard them to be: they're not painful, exactly, but they make it really hard to draw a deep breath and the tubes and the jug they drain into are annoyingly in the way.

On the plus side, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror during my morning walk, and to be honest, I looked rather fetching. By that I mean relative to other 48-year-old women who've had heart surgery the day before. By that I mean that my hair looked fabulous.

DAY THREE: Chest Tube Removal! By afternoon my BP and CBC levels had improved to the point that they allowed me to walk again and took out the chest tubes. That is a bit uncomfortable, but so quick, and so worth it for the ease of movement and breathing it restores. Also, my kids came to visit and saw how fabulous my hair looked.

DAY FOUR: By the morning of this day, I had improved so much that my surgeon actually cleared me for discharge, until one of his interns pointed out that I hadn't pooped yet. Thus began an intense relationship between me and various laxatives, but unfortunately I didn't poop until that evening, so I was stuck for another night. They did take out my pacer wires, which, again, feels weird for less than a second and is more than worth it to have your heart "unplugged."

DAY FIVE: As intense as was my affair with laxatives the day before, my hatred of my bed by this day far exceeded it. Like many others on this board, I'd developed great soreness across my shoulders, neck and upper back, easily exceeding the incisional pain, and I attribute this to the surgical procedure and to the fact that I had to put my 5'2" body into a highly complicated hospital bed that contorted whenever and however it felt like all night long. So my 1:30 discharge, though a day early by my surgeon's standards, was actually a day late by mine.

So, there you have it: some glitches, but nothing too serious, and now I'm home. And, despite the lingering aches and pains, I really do feel that my heart is working better than it was just four days ago. I'm looking forward to some therapeutic walks tomorrow (I did some today, but being as how I couldn't resist those pajamas, it was conducted entirely in laps around my patio), and a good night's sleep in my reclining chair.

I'm happy to answer any questions any of you might have!

Thanks so much for the post. Just the right level of detail and nice balance of "reality" and not dwelling on the 'bad' stuff. I'm ~ 10 days out from surgery. Five days is my goal.

Heather, Thank you for sharing your story. I go in on Monday, and hopefully like you I will stay calm and feel relief that my surgery is now here. I hope your recovery goes well, and your hair stays looking good :). Many Blessings

Steve

Thanks for the insight Heather - its always great to get another perspective. My shaved head certainly will help ensure my hair looks just fine! I'm due to go in some time before mid-Oct - date TBD. Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly,
Tony

nightingale -- get a pedicure, too. Looking down at those little red toenails sticking out from the bottom of that hospital blanket was very cheering!

thats a great idea - I am gonna find the cheeriest wildest colours i can so my toes will be smiling at me from down there! Heather Anne your posts have made me feel so much better - our stories seem similar, I am 43 and think I will be choosing a tissue valve also, so I can continue to love my prime rib and pina coladas. Thanks for your posts.

"I will be choosing a tissue valve also, so I can continue to love my prime rib and pina coladas"

Can I just knock this one on the head right now . . . coumadin does NOT prevent you from eating prime rib or drinking pina coladas!!!! Shellbell where on earth did you hear THAT?!?!?!

skigirl it was a reference to an earlier post be Heather Anne about loving to induge in copious amounts of beef and pinot on ocassion. I know Coumadin wont prevent me from enjoying either, but it will require me to do so with a certain amount of attention to my INR will it not?

For those in the waiting room: a brief summary of my days in the hospital!

In the last 14 years I have been on Anticoagulation Therapy (Coumadin, Warfarin, Jantoven), there are only 2 things that I have not been able to do and those are Stopping daily medication and stopping regular testing.

No diet limitations, activity restrictions, medication worries, bruising, bleeding, clotting, or any of the other common misconceptions of taking rat poison every day.

Before I educated myself and started home testing - I was convinced there were limitations, but after becoming involved and in control of my INR, it has not negatively impacted my life at all.

If I had it to do over again - I would choose mechanical/anticoagulation in a heartbeat :)

This choice is HUGELY personal. But we come to this forum to hear other peoples experiences and learn from the knowledge of others.

There's my 50 cents worth..

Shellbell I don't know what's in beef that would prevent you from eating copious amounts of it (what is a copious amount anyway . . . how much can you fit into your tummy??).

As for wine - yes there is some interaction but you probably shouldn't be going on major benders for any number of reasons besides coumadin! And if you do - then you 'dose the diet' (as opposed to the old-school 'diet the dose' method where the patient was at fault for any fluctuations in INR levels).

For the great majority of us, staying within our INR range is not difficult, given the self-testing methods and ability to self-manage our doses. Oh, and all the advice available on here if you are having trouble! :)

So you have a self testing machine skigirl? Are they expensive? How often do you have to go to an actual lab for bloodwork? So many factors to weigh when considering which valve type! Copious amounts of beef is like 4 ounces if you are looking at Canada's guidelines for heart health LOL.....

Hi

Pardon me answering, I'm sure Ski girl will also toss in hers too.

So you have a self testing machine skigirl? Are they expensive?
They cost less to buy than it seems the copayments are through the health insurance companies.

Mine was given to me by the valve maker ATS in this instance. They cost about $600 to buy and the test strips about 6 each. This works out less than the cost of getting to a lab IMO.

How often do you have to go to an actual lab for bloodwork?

When I was going to the lab it was about weekly or fortnightly. But as I was generally unhappy with doing that and wasting my morning before work in the lab I stopped and moved to self testing. Never looked back.

Imagine expecting diabetics into go to a lab for testing?

Copious amounts of beef is like 4 ounces if you are looking at Canada's guidelines for heart health LOL.....
And wash it down with some good red. I am sure at is what ski girl does too

. I know Coumadin wont prevent me from enjoying either, but it will require me to do so with a certain amount of attention to my INR will it not?

Its vitamin K which is the ingredient that warfarin effects (actually its the body recycling of Vit K, but I digress) so no, beef or wine will have little effect. Salads, broccoli and spinach are the sorts of things containing vit k.

Still its not a problem really. Just eat as you feel, and test and consider. But this is all more complexity than you need to know just now. But feel free to start a thread over in anticoagulation and ask away :)

I am convinced that I will choose a mechanical valve if/when I need a redo. I am 9 days post-op now and I am convinced that last week (the first week out of surgery) was one of my most unpleasent weeks ever. I COULD do it again and may well have to I've come away with a very strong desire not to do OHS again. Wow, what a experience!

Dave, I'm so sorry your week was so horrible. I had a much easier time of it, I think, but I have no idea why. I've noticed a wide range in experiences on these boards, and while some can clearly be attributed to poor nursing care and/or poor pain management in hospital, others perhaps must be put down to luck. I feel terrible for you that you weren't one of those with a better tale to tell.

Still, I'm expecting this to be my only OHS. My cardiologist who visited me post-op told me they'd been able to put a very large tissue valve in there, so he expects a "long shelf life" and a replacement via catheter during which the new valve will be seated inside the first.

Oh, and the coumadin battle....I know I lit a fire or two with my pinot and steak comment, and I apologize! That was just my flippant way of saying I didn't want to have to monitor anything on a lifelong basis, whether it be my diet or my INR. But, like most will agree, that's a personal thing. Lots and lots of people have absolutely no trouble with it, and I'm sure I'd manage it as well if mechanical had been my only choice. I just decided that, given the choice, I'd rather not.

Heather Anne: Glad to hear your procedure went so well. I thought mine was easy but you seem to really did well. I had the A-Fib about 5 weeks after so I went on Coumidin for 2 months before it cleared up. You mentioned the soreness in your neck and back. I had the same and thought it was caused by the position of the bed trying to sit up. But a nurse told me that the surgery is pretty rough physically and a lot of patients are sore from the contortions you are put through during the surgery. Hopefully your post coughing is minor and keep walking.

Definitely getting the toes done and the hair done:D
I concur with Hank and others - Being on Coumadin beats having another surgery in my book. But I have to have another surgery anyway :(.

Back