For Bina - my arm . . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netmiff

Bina, thanks for asking about it. I decided to start another thread . .as you can see from the comment under my avatar, I have 10 fingers - cast has been off for just over 2 weeks, but I got a removable brace to replace it. That was supposed to be on for two weeks. Cast came off on a Thursday, doc faxed request for physio around 4 or 4.30pm, I got a call that Monday for a physio appointment that Tuesday! The exercises hurt, as does my mouse if I overdo it, so I do resort to putting the brace on then, and also when Iam going to be doing "heavy" chores. At this point in time I have about 90% of my pre-break mobility. What I am finding difficult is doing two motions at once, like grabbing a door handle, either turning it or pushing it down and also pulling the door at the same time. When I make a fist, it feels like the skin on the back of my hand is a size or two too small, and when you put your forearm flat on a desk and bend at the wrist to raise the fingers, I can only raise the right one about 3 inches, the left one goes way higher !!

There is still some swelling and what looks like bruising all over the back of my hand, and it looks a litle "pudgy", like baby fat, but not that noticeable to a stranger. Oh, and three wee holes round my wrist from the pins, that remind me of the three wee holes in my belly from the pacer wires . . . So, I uess I have a double set of "blowholes" as someone on here calls them. When I get my medi alert back on that hand, it will cover them, they are right on that spot where your wrist wrinkles when you bend it.

A nice "side effect" : I have bitten and chewed my fingernails since I first got teeth, but 7 weeks in a cast, I couldn't get my fingers in my mouth, so my nails are long - for the first time in my 54 years! They are also much much stronger than ever before, as I have osteoporosis, and take not only massive amounts of calcium daily, but Fosavance, too. So, another "side effec", but this time from calcium therapy - every cloud does has a silver lining, I guess!

So, I guess overall, the progress is pretty good.
My Dad had a bad fall when he was middle aged, and he cracked his arm. It took many weeks of physio to be able to use it properly, but he also found that at times he just couldn't trust his "grasp".
Hopefully yours will be perfect to match those perfect nails. :)

Latest posts

Back