For all of you Cleveland Clinic patients...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head Of Cleveland Clinic Attacking Big Mac!

Head Of Cleveland Clinic Attacking Big Mac!

Front page Washington Post this AM-Toby Cosgrove has shuttered Pizza Hut but finding it tougher to knock down the Golden Arches in the lobby of his famed clinic.An RN says the food the clinic serves in its cafeteria isn't healthier and costs twice as much.A McDonald executive accused Cosgrove of opportunism and demogoguery targeting an easy villain rather than the individuals doing the eating.Cosgrove has also been accused of racism because the franchisee is African-American.Cosgroves next big battle is tobacco. He wants the clinic smoke-free by Independence Day. I see the Peter Principle at work here.

I say

I say

good for Toby!!! :)

We had a McDonald's in the hospital I worked at in Des Moines years ago - we all felt it made for "job security."

Christina L.

I think this is a bunch of crap. I believe it all goes back to the God complex this man has. I also believe that banning smoking "even outside" is also a bunch of crap. There will be many people waiting for loved ones going through very, very serious surgeries for very, very long periods of time. Many feel the need to smoke just to deal with what they and their loved ones are going through. It is a tense situation anyway and add to that the fact that those who smoke and want to get a bite to eat can't. I do not agree with this at all. I don't like Cosgrove anyway. He should keep his God complex in the OR.

pegne>>Let me tell you a little story....

I was at the Cleveland Clinic for my valve replacement. I don't think I ever saw Dr. Cosgrove, I know I never met him.

I was born with a heart condition that was "repaired" only a few weeks after birth. I lived the next 27+ years in near perfect heart health. I was active, well adjusted, and complication free for a VERY long time considering what was going on inside my chest.

About 3 years ago I started to develope a nagging, chronic cough that developed into an incompetent tricuspid valve, a common "side-effect" of the method used to fix my particular heart malformation. I've always been above the bar in heart health because I've always taken good care of myself and kept active. I stayed away from alcohol, smoking, drugs, living happily and healthy.
Then the **** hit the fan.

In March of 2003 I nearly died a few times over. My tricuspid valve had all but disintegrated in the days leading up to surgery to repair or replace it. I had Dr. Mee, a pediatric heart surgeon, who is damn near close to a miracle worker. Even still, I spent FIVE weeks on a ventilator in a pediatric intensive care unit and another four in a step down unit full of babies and very young children. The next oldest patient was a guy about my age who spent one night after having a cath procedure.

Across the hall from where I spent most of my time off the ventilator was a seperate room sealed off for high flow oxygen use. In that room lived a little girl, about 3 years old, who had spent nearly her entire (albeit short) life living at the Cleveland Clinic waiting for a heart transplant. She got one about a week before I got to go home.

The last memory I have of Cleveland Clinic is watching her mother smoking a cigarette out on the curb as I was being helped into my father's car for the trip home.

That child was going home too. A home full of cigarette smoke from BOTH her parents and her grandmother.

That's VERY sad and if you can't see that, that's sad too.

I'm all for Dr. Cosgrove's efforts. I've been in that commissary a number of times and the food they have is great. They go out of their way to make "heart healthy" entrees available, foods that are low fat, low cholesterol, and LOW SODIUM. You don't see that most places. They had GOOD food and a WIDE variety of it. I actually miss some of the stuff that I've had there.

Having a McDonald's there was just pointless. I can see the point they try to make that people can make their own choices as to what to eat, HOWEVER, Cleveland Clinic really does have a responsibility to set the example, to stand up and say we're NOT going to accept money from a company that deliberately serves foods they KNOW are damaging to a person's health.

You can't buy a pack of cigarettes at Cleveland Clinic, not in their gift shop, not in a vending machine. It can't be done. Same with alcohol.

If you REALLY want that Big Mac and a super-sized fries then WALK your tushy down the street to the nearest McDonald's and get it for yourself, you could use the exercise at least to walk off some of the crap you're putting into your system.

And just to be fair, I've always liked most McDonald's food. It's tasty stuff and VERY tempting at times, however I KNOW better and if I HAVE to eat their food, it's usually going to be one of the salads (baked, not fried chicken, and then only half what they give me) and maybe a parfait with some water or lemonade.

That's still not great, but usually I get McD's because I'm short on time and won't have a chance to get a healthier meal for hours.

I have to stand up

I have to stand up

for Dr. Cosgrove as he performed a miracle operation on my mitral valve and so far, so good.

By the way, did you all see the segment about this "McDonald" issue on NBC Nightly News? You can go to their web site and watch the video there.

I only met Dr. Cosgrove for a few seconds before my surgery and he immediately put me at ease and seemed a very caring, wonderful man AND I heard nothing but good about him from the nursing staff and others in the hospital.

I know a lot of heart surgeons probably have "God complexes" and it would be easy to have happen because they literally hold our fates in their hands. I am just glad that these surgeons are so gifted and they use their God-given talents to help others.

In other words, guess I'm partial to the guy (Cosgrove). :)

P.S. I do firmly believe that banning McDonald's from the hospital is the smart thing to do.

Christina L.

I was in

I was in

the Cleveland Clinic for 21 days when Delose Cosgrove performed my RP. My husband literally lived there waiting on some word about my health. For 21 days he waited. If he CHOSE to have a Big Mac while waiting for his very sick wife to get better then so be it. If he was fearful of leaving me, then he had an option to eat whatever he wanted, and may I add more inexpensively, while he waited for me to get better then so be it. There are many patients there that are there for long periods of time. As for the little girl, how do you know that her parents smoked in the house that she lived in? Even though I do not now, I was a smoker. My husband never did smoke. I never did smoke in my house or my car and I still know many smokers that do not smoke in their houses. My son and his wife are two of them. How do we know that the CC isn't going to raise the prices of this "healthy food". More profit for the facility. Not everyone can afford the food prices. We couldn't. No more .99 value menu. I just wonder what the real reasons are for this change.

I'm with Pegne on this one. I am an ex-smoker (quit 8 weeks before my surgery). I know if I had a loved one who was very sick or undergoing major surgery, that would not be the time to have to decide whether or not to go "cold turkey" in order to stay close to my loved one or leave the premises to have a smoke. And as for the fast food...Duke has a Domino's attached to the main cafeteria, and if you're willing to take a tram to the other side of the hospital they have a food court with every imaginable type of food (both fast food chains and healthy foods). IMO, hospitals need to cater to the loved ones and visitors of the patients as well as the patients themselves. I don't need some doctor with a personal agenda deciding what I can or can't do with my body. I realize that Cleveland Clinic has the best heart center in the nation, but I think the doctors should stick to taking care of their patients and allow the loved ones of those patients make their own lifestyle choices.

I believe Dr. Cosgrove's motives are good.

However, as another ex-smoker, who also did not smoke in the house, or the car, I have to say that waiting for news of a loved one is a nearly unbearable situation, and is highly uncomfortable in the best of situations. It can be a big decision even whether to go outside for a smoke, as that usually means at least half an hour away, given travel time through the endless corridors of the hospital.

Nor is a stressful time like that likely to breed many nonsmoking converts. Most will smoke more than normal, blaming it on stress and worry.

I think as long as they're adequately sequestered from other people's breathing space, there should be room for them, too. Yes, it's a stupid and filthy habit, but the situation they're in is bad enough woithout having that load of moralization heaped upon them at the same time.

I don't see why McDonalds or Pizza Hut has to be inside the cafeteria, necessarily. As long as there's an easy and adequate transportation method (the tram?) to get to them, it seems like they would be fairly represented and accessible.

Best wishes,

I think the Cleveland Clinic should screen their patients and not operate on any who eat fast food or smoke. I bet their statistics would improve.

Dr. Cosgrove

Dr. Cosgrove

is a heart surgeon and now is the CEO of Cleveland Hospital and I personally feel he can do whatever he so chooses for the good of the hospital.

I also think it is interesting how quickly we accept a doctor's prescription of pills but will not accept their prescription of taking the responsibility to change our lifestyle as a means of getting well.

There is NO excuse for smoking, not even having a loved one in surgery.

As you can tell I have never picked up a cigarette, not even for a curiosity puff. :) My father smoked and died of a massive heart attack at 63 years of age. AND to further my point (this is true) my dad had JUST eaten at McDonald's an hour before he died. :(

Christina L.

To explain myself,

To explain myself,

I have to admit that I have almost zero tolerance for people with perfectly working, anatomically correct hearts who abuse their cardiovascular system with an unhealthy lifestyle, when I had a strike against me from birth.

It makes me angry to see people throwing away their good health. Dr. Cosgrove is forcing the issue and it is making people think - again, I say good for him!!

Christina L.

Living in California, I was really startled to find out that there actually still are hospitals in this country in which you can smoke!!!!!

I find that truly hard to believe.

I applaud Dr. Cosgrove's efforts. I don't see this as a case of an arrogant doctor playing "God," but one of a concerned physician taking responsibility for his role, and the role of the institution in which he works, in the area of patient health.

Yes, it is a question of personal responsibility -- people choose to smoke, they choose to eat bad food, etc. Nobody is preventing them from smoking at home, or picking up a burger on their way home from the hospital. However, the least a hospital (particularly a hospital specialized in the treatment of heart disease!!!!) can do is not to appear to encourage or condone those behaviors. I think that a hospital that allows smoking, or that sets up a McDonald's on the premises, in effect sends a signal that it is OK to smoke, and to eat food almost guaranteed to damage cardiovascular health.

A hospital should be a role model in healthful habits by prohibiting smoking on premises and providing healthy food, particularly an institution that specializes in cardiac care.
Most fast food is heavy in fat, because fat is cheap. Maybe fat food is a better term. :)

I guess

I guess

they should also ban all surgeons that are obese from working there too. Even if you are a renound surgeon you lose your job because that is sending mixed signals to the public. Oh and while they are at it they should fire all doctors that are under stress and have lack of sleep. That is also another cause of cardiac problems.

........and now along comes Ross with his comments :rolleyes:

I've known people who smoked all their lives, some well into their 80's and 90's, ate whatever food they wanted to, drank like fish and did not die of cancer or any smoking related disease. Many simply passed away in their sleep. On the other hand, I've also seen the devastation caused by doing just these things too. I feel it should be a personal choice as to whether or not a person wants a cigarrette, beer, whiskey, Big Mac or anything else in this nation. Everything is pretty much smoke outside now for everything around here, so I don't see where someone smoking just outside the doors of CCF is going to be a major thing. I know of no area inside the building where your allowed to smoke now. The fast food chains by the cafeteria---Let em serve what they want and leave them alone. I've eaten at both and I can say I've had both, good and bad food from the fast food places and the cafeteria.

Dr Cosgrove is only trying to persue heath issues and promote a heathy environment within the Clinic. I cannot fault him for that, but anything just outside it's doors (Last time I was there, the fast food was just outside of the cafeteria doors!) should be anyones free choice.

I hope

I hope

I will know when to quit here, but health issues really get me going!

I will say it again, Dr. Cosgrove is the CEO at Cleveland - he can do whatever he wishes.

AND I highly doubt you will find that many obese physicians - obese nurses and nurses that smoke like fiends, yes, but not doctors or surgeons. My cardiologist and his wife are in the process of becoming vegetarian and he definitely practices what he preaches - ALTHOUGH he does not preach preventative health with me and I wish he would help more with that.

Ross, Ross, come on - you KNOW that the person who drinks and smokes and eats unhealthy all their life and lives to 90 is the EXCEPTION!!!

My grandfather smoked and drank shots and died of a massive heart attack at 70 - his wife lived until 95 - she didn't smoke or drink and ate sparingly. My other set of grandparents lived into their mid 80s and died in their sleep - they were like my 95-year-old grandmother - no smoking, drinking and were thin and ate wholesome meals, no fast food.

Dr. Cosgrove will get McDonald's out of there and even if he doesn't, maybe it will draw attention to McDonald's and their unhealthy fare, thus making them change their menu a bit. They have some healthy food already, but most people still get the Egg Mcmuffin for breakfast not the fruit parfait - and THAT is loaded with sugar!! I've had it! It IS good though! :)

Dr. Cosgrove is blazing a new trail and I respect him enormously for that!

Christina L.

FYI!!!! Cleveland Clinic had a policy that if you had smoked in the past 12 weeks, they would not accept you for open heart surgery. Their rational was that the particles in the lungs made it impossible for you to cough and remove the phleum. (sp). If there are any smokers in this group, it is fact that the breathing ball (I can not remember the name) is a MUCH BIGGER issue than it is for the non-smoker.

Dr. Cosgrove will have a big issue with any smoking on campus. The fountain by the front door has benches that have smokers (patients, visitors, staff) at least 3 deep. For those of you who have never been to Cleveland, this is real dedication to have a smoke in January and February. The Clinic is only about 1 mile South of Lake Erie. We spend a year there one week!!!!!!! Not the garden spot of America!

"Dr. Cosgrove will get McDonald's out of there and even if he doesn't, maybe it will draw attention to McDonald's and their unhealthy fare, thus making them change their menu a bit. They have some healthy food already, but most people still get the Egg Mcmuffin for breakfast not the fruit parfait - and THAT is loaded with sugar!! I've had it! It IS good though! :)

Dr. Cosgrove is blazing a new trail and I respect him enormously for that!"

However, bottom line is that people are going to eat what they want, unless they have dedicated themselves to making the lifestyle change that will adopt a healthy lifestyle. I'd be willing to bet that the person who got a cheeseburger and fries at McD's will be able to walk into the cafeteria and pay much more to get a cheesburger and fries. As they say, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". Perhaps it's a revenue issue, lost cafeteria sales to the outside contractors? (playing devil's advocate here) Has he proposed a healthier restaurant contractor alternative? Sometimes you just have to have something different that the same old same old in the cafeteria.
I haven't been to CC yet (but will be there sometime next year, I think!) but I work in a hospital and can tell you that our cafeteria is not the picture of health. There are healthy choices, yes, but few and far between. If you REALLY want to eat healthy you are better off bringing your meals from home.
I admire your defense of Dr Cosgrove, Christine, but I'd be curious to know if, as CEO, he's as vigilant a defender of the employees of the hospital, especially their working conditions and salaries.
Carolyn
BMTU RN in Louisville

John&Joanne,

Smoking also precludes you from any form of transplant list and a whole host of other life saving proceedures...

I was "screened" when I had my transplant evaluation before they settled on repairing/replacing the tricuspid valve. Part of that screening process was not only asking of I smoked or drank or did drugs, but testing as well.

For the record, I've smoked a few cigars in my lifetime. I actually quit one night after having a bad fight with an ex. Had gone outside to chill out and calm down, lit up a cigar I had gotten in Canada and smoked through most of it then decided I could do better things with my time than smoking the things.

I still like the smell and taste of cigar smoke, but it's not something I'll do again.

And I'm one of those "wierdo's" that never EVER has more than two drinks in a bar when hanging out with friends. I used to get picked on for drinking beer at room temperature because I'd be nursing the bottle for hours on end. Last few sips of my Sam Adams were always warm and I'm actually a little proud of that.

I never stumbled out of a bar or into a bathroom to relieve myself in the sink because I was too drunk to find the toilet (which is usually a MUCH bigger target by the way...)

my experience, most parents that smoke expose their children to second hand smoke. Whether it's inside the house or out in the yard, it doesn't matter. And even if the child ISN'T breathing it in, they see their parents do it every day, all the time. That's a bad example for kids.

Yes, you're free to do whatever the hell you want, eat "heart attack waiting to happen" meals and smoke and drink and all sorts of self-destructive behaviors. That's cool, but you're RARELY just harming yourself....

We're all adults here (mostly, there's a few teens I know on the site) and we've gotta set the example. We know how serious these heart valve issues can get. We know smoking and alcohol don't help matters. A lot of us have dealt with hypertension, CHF, drug sensitivities, surgery, recovery... We know this stuff is bad for us and sometimes we take "calculated" risks, but we gotta live clean and healthy lives if we intend on sticking around for the next 30-40-50 years or more. Maybe more so than heart healthy people...

By the way, it's called a spirometer and I bought one for myself the other day from the drug store to help improve my lung capacity some for the BLS (CPR) work I gotta be able to do now... We found that my lungs weren't quite getting enough "ummph" to get all the air in I was supposed to get when doing mouth to mouth...

Anyways, now I'm babbling...

I still think that quiting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself and for your family. It's a terrible habit to pick up and you should be more creative in finding other stress reducers. I do kung-fu... That works nice, beating the snot out of punching bags and the occassional sparring partner.

With full pads of course. :D

Back