Follow up with cardio

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzanneSLO

My surgeon wanted me to follow up with my cardio 7-10 days after discharge from the hospital. Unfortunately, the soonest the cardio can see me is 16 days after discharge.

I am on a wait list for a cancellation. Should I be more proactive about trying to get an appointment?

I have no specific issues or questions for the cardio. I presumed that the reason for a follow-up were to answer the questions you didn't even know you had. -- Suzanne

Hello Suzanne. I have a little amusing story for you regarding that follow up appt. All cardio docs are different, here's how my visit turned out. I too was sent after surgery on April 17 of this year with orders to see my regular cardio guy within ten days, which I was able to do. Having just had my aortic valve replaced, I had a LOT of concerns and questions that I took the time to peck out and print out from my computer as to not forget anything. On the day of my appointment, once my doc entered the waiting room and finished listening to my heart, I handed him my list of carefully thought out questions. He smiled, folded it in half, handed it back to me and said "Your heart sounds good as new, make an appointment to see me in one year" Huh? What? One year?! No EKG? No new meds or lab work or trip to the emergency room or possibly the morgue??.... Nope. Just time, and as it turns out, he was right. I can look back at this appointment and laugh now but I wasn't smiling then. Just letting you know that follow up appointment may not be as critical as you think, and six days over your suggested follow up time should be ok if you're feling well and not having any issues.

Good luck with your recovery,

Mailman

Mailman: Thanks for the laugh (even though it hurts!)

One of the down sides to being at home "recoverering" is that I have lots of time to stew and worry. As you said, as long as I'm feeling better each day, there is no need to rush back.

I hope your recovery is continuing well. -- Suzanne

Latest posts

Back