flutter or af

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rib305

Hi everybody,

im 8 weeks today since my avr ats open pivot, went to see my cardio ecg looked good
went home quite happy , the doc was happy, talked about coming of bisoprolol in 4 months got home went into flutter! which feels like it may be af today, you just cant believe it... went to have another ecg this morning as i had been up all night confirmed flutter/af and now cardio has told me to double my bisoprolol to 2.5mg.... feel a bit disapointed as i thought i was ahead o schedule.... any one else suffered bouts of unexpected heart rythems... and anyone else on bisoprolol

its a real pain in the arse when things dont go to plan

I had some post-op A-fib/A-flutter. I think it's fairly common after valve replacement (edit - and from what I've read here, over the past eight years, it often seems to be a temporary post-op complication). I was put on a beta blocker called Sotalol (you have to be readmitted to the hospital to be put on it though) and I was also given some IVs of magnesium. It completely halted the problem. And I only had to take the beta blocker for several weeks. Hope it clears up for you soon.
Take care :)

Last edited:
hi am on 2 x 2.5 bisoprolol for heart af a-flutter , been on it more or less since my op,few early problems with it but am ok now, it cert beats af and a flutter,yours might go on its own accord as most do, but it is a very common after valve op,

Me, Too!

Me, Too!

It does seem that more often than not, Afib/Aflutter happens post VR. I went into afib 2 1/2 weeks post op and am still working on the meds to get it undercontrol. Slowly getting better. I"ve tried them all in various combinations (except Tikyson). Currently on Cartia XT, Lopressor, and Solatol.

Don't get too worried. It can take a while for the heart to settle down after this surgery.

I was on bisoprilol, but it didn't work well and it took my bp too low. It didn't cause me any problems except the low bp (80/45 ish). I have also been on sotalol but while it worked well and I felt pretty good on it I had side effects my EP didn't like so now I'm having an EP study with possible ablation in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back