Flu Shot??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marky said:
IWhat is the egg issue?

I can't eat the yolk of an egg, but eat the whites all the time.. what does that have to do with the flu shot?
Eggs are used to produce the flu vaccine - and the vaccine can contain egg protein. If you are allergic - you could have a negative reaction to the vaccination.

Good question. I see my Card next week, I will ask him if I need one since I recently had surgery. I've only had the flu once in my adult life. I never get Flu shots. I can be in the same room with 3 or 4 people with the Flu and never get it (Knock on wood). I like to rely on my own immune system to fight sickness. I'm rarely ever sick other than the occassional cold and, of course, my valve.

2006-07 INFLUENZA PREVENTION & CONTROL RECOMMENDATIONS

2006-07 Influenza Vaccine Composition
NOTE: The text below is taken directly from Prevention and Control of Influenza: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) (MMWR 2006 Jul 28;55(RR10):1-42).

Both the inactivated and live, attenuated vaccines prepared for the 2006--07 season will include A/New Caledonia/20/1999 (H1N1)-like, A/Wisconsin/67/2005 (H3N2)-like, and B/Malaysia/2506/2004-like antigens (for the A/Wisconsin/67/2005 [H3N2]-like antigen, manufacturers may use the antigenically equivalent A/Hiroshima/52/2005 virus, and for the B/ Malaysia/2506/2004-like antigen, manufacturers may use the antigenically equivalent B/Ohio/1/2005 virus). These viruses will be used because they are representative of influenza viruses that are anticipated to circulate in the United States during the 2006--07 influenza season and have favorable growth properties in eggs. Because circulating influenza A (H1N2) viruses are reassortants of influenza A (H1N1) and A (H3N2) viruses, antibodies directed against influenza A (H1N1) and influenza (H3N2) vaccine strains should provide protection against the circulating influenza A (H1N2) viruses. Influenza viruses for both TIV and LAIV are initially grown in embryonated hens eggs, and, therefore, might contain limited amounts of residual egg protein. Therefore, persons with a history of severe hypersensitivity, such as anaphylaxis, to eggs should not receive influenza vaccine.

For the inactivated vaccines, the vaccine viruses are made noninfectious (i.e., inactivated or killed). Only subvirion and purified surface antigen preparations of the inactivated vaccine are available. Manufacturing processes vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers might use different compounds to inactivate influenza viruses and add antibiotics to prevent bacterial contamination. Package inserts should be consulted for additional information.

Page last modified September 8, 2006

I've gotten my flu shot every year since vr, and pneumonia shot the first year. I'm at high risk x2, with heart problems and working in medical field. Had no problem when there was a shortage. Now that my sis is pregnant and already has a lil one, I'm going to make sure my parents get it too.

Just like Sue, my GP gives them to me after my AVR...cardio never asks, but they are in communication, so he might know.

Don't think that the flu shot impacted my INR at all.....but I may not have tested right then either. But certainly didn't cause enough of a problem to make me feel I needed to test.

Good reminder

Good reminder

It is a good thing for me that I saw this posting, reminds me that I need to call my doc to get the shot. Blue Cross usually handles 100% of cost, which is a good thing for me. Have missed getting flu shot once in about the last 15 years, and that was most certainly a mistake:( . Got the flu later in the season, and for about 10 days I felt like I would have to get better to die.... Won't make that mistake again!

But, like has been said before, if you have an allergy to eggs, pass on the shot. And as my cardio says, continually wash your hands.

Flu Shot

Flu Shot

This goes against the tide of everything in this thread so far. I had never gotten a flu shot until last year when my PCP insisted on it. I was a few months post-op of my AV and aorta repl. I had been doing pretty well. A short time after the flu shot, I got a very very bad cold, ny HR shot up, and later tests showed mild PH. Now I'd be foolish to blame it on the flu shot, but I am not getting one this year.

Got my flu shot this morning.

Prior to my heart attack and bypass surgery, I never had a flu shot and hadn't had the flu since 1969.

Now, with valve issues, I don't take the chance by not getting it.

Latest posts

Back