Flu, do I need antibiotics?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake777

Hello everyone. Haven't been here in a while. I need some advice, I caught the flu and of course I feel yucky and was wondering should I go to get antibiotics. My doctor is bent on not giving me antibiotics but if needed I will go to the ER. I know I am running fever on and off. So don't know since I do have this ONX valve, want to be safe. Thanks. :smile2:

Could you get a blood test to see if there is a bacterial infection of any kind? Hard call as many flus are viral related, but secondary infections can occur.
Good luck and let us know :)
P.S. How long have you been running a fever? Could you call the cardio office and see what they recommend?

Thank you Roberta, I just don't want to get sick again and have to have surgery again. Close to my second 4th year from two heart surgeries, years since last one. Do not want to do that again. Thank you.

Flu will not injure your valve unless you develop a bad infection. If you are not getting better or think you have a bacterial infection such as bronchitis, you should recover fine without antibiotics. If you think there is a chance of bacterial infection, be on the safe side.

Did you have a flu shot this year?

Hope you feel better soon.

That's the thing I do have a big problem with thick mucus that turn infected and have had this problem for years everyday. But no one can find out what it is. Just recently my doc told me he think it the pulmonary hypertension or heart congestion from my heart. But I will just go if I feel like I am getting really bad. Thanks for your help.

Curious, Blake, did you have a flu shot? I wonder how many have the shot and get flu anyway.

Don't take a chance. If you don't think you are getting better, go for help. Not worth the risk IMO

Yes I will watch how I am doing. The last time I was sick I should have went, I was down and could not get up at all. I told myself if I get that bad I will got to the ER, NOT my doctor because he is a joke. Going to get another doctor soon.

Did you actually go get the flu test to make sure you have the actual flu vs. some other virus? If so, and if you are within 48 hrs ( I think) of your first symptoms, you could get a prescription for tamiflu which works wonders and will help shorten the course as well as make it less severe. If it is not the actual flu, it won't help at all. Also, I'm sure you already know this, but if you have a virus, antibiotics won't help at all. Only if you develop a bacterial infection as a result of the virus will antibiotics help.

Yes, I know. Was concerned about bacterial. This is the 6th day and still no better, running time of 101.2, bloody mucus and hurts to cough. My legs and arms hurt so bad when I wake up and did not get a wink from the coughing last night. Going to call to see what doc says at least. Thanks.

Just wanted to let everyone know it was not the flu, but it was pneumonia, will start antibiotics first thing in the morning because doc just called with results. I know I was feeling pretty bad and still running fever. Thanks everyone for your help.

Just wanted to let everyone know it was not the flu, but it was pneumonia, will start antibiotics first thing in the morning because doc just called with results. I know I was feeling pretty bad and still running fever. Thanks everyone for your help.

In Sept I had my annual flu shot but my first pneumonia shot .....still will get annual flu but don't need to repeat the pneumonia for I THINK ten years

If I am not mistaken they told me last year that the pneumonia vaccine was combined with the flu shot so I thought I was covered. Guess it did not work for me.

Thanks for the link Greg. Keep wondering if my hubby had it first, he was sick then I got sick afterwards, but he is totally fine now. But then again he was taking strong antibiotics too. Don't know why I always forget that pneumonia is contagious.

If I am not mistaken they told me last year that the pneumonia vaccine was combined with the flu shot so I thought I was covered. Guess it did not work for me.

Sorry to hear you have pneumonia but good you saw your doctor and will start the antibiotics. Be sure to take them exactly as ordered and finish them all.

Pneumonia shots are not part of flu shot but are often offered at the same time as flu vaccine for people to be sure to be immunized.

The first shot is often around age 55 or so and the second is when you reach 65 years. No more are required after the second is administered.

Hope you feel better fast.

Yes, I usually take one every 3 or 5 years, but last year they told everyone that if they got the flu shot they did not need the pneumonia shot, I specifically remember being told that from nurse. From now on I will be getting more information or second opinions. Thanks for your help.

Back