Five years ago today, Christmas Eve...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

... I had just permitted the surgical staff at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY, to whisk my husband away for mitral and aortic valve replacements. Working on invalid and misleading concepts I had gleaned on the "net", I expected to have him out of surgery and in recovery in an hour and a half----instead, after the 9:00 AM announcement that they had stopped his heart and were beginning in earnest, I did not see him again until it was around 5:00 PM. What a miserable, scary, long day. But when the exhausted surgeon showed up and told me that he had been able to do some remodeling in Mike's left ventricle and had finally found some decent tissue on which to hang two St. Jude's valves I was temporarily relieved. Then he explained that if Mike's heart function didn't pick up over night he would be implanting an LVAD on Christmas Day. Faithful friends set to praying and at 4:00 AM on Christmas morning, Mike's blood pressure stabilized and heart function picked up. The very best Christmas present I have ever received.

Rocovery was quick and we have had five excellent years with a double-clicking heart. Thank the Lord!!!

Back