First Post and Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mainframe

First I would like to thank everyone here for thier honest and candid answers to difficult questions many have ask. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and found alot of answers to questions that I've had.

I had reconstructive jaw surgery some 20 years ago in my early 20's and at the time, a pre-surgical physical revealed a murmur but the doctors didn't seem to care about the cause. 10 years later my primary care physican refered me to a cardiologist who did an echo. He told me I had a bicuspid aeortic valve with moderate stenosis. He suggested I would need a valve job probably when I was around 60.

A couple of years later, changed physicans who didn't seem to mention the stenosis. But after a recent physical, he wanted me to have an echo done, which I did. Naturally, the stenosis has advanced, from moderate to moderate/severe, and that I would need valve replacement surgery within the next 12 to 24 months. My primary suggested I go see a cardiologist which I am going to do Dec. 3.

Here's my question.

One of the things I enjoy is lifting weights. I usually lift free weights between 4 and 5 times a week. And I lift pretty heavy, i.e., squats sets > 300 lbs, 1 rep max at 355 on bench press. I weigh 190. Now I can live with a higher repetition workout, but I would still be doing a fair amount of weight to be challenging.

Is it probable that my cardiologist will tell me not to lift weights prior to surgery or to dramatically cut down the weight lifted? I can live with having to cut back on cardio, which I do 4-5 time a week also, but would hate to have to give up lifting weights.

I can sure see after surgery having to cut back. :)
But even after surgery, will I ever be able to work back up to pre-surgery strength?

Since the beginning of the year, I've lost 75 pounds, and completed 2 official Body for Life 12 week challenges, bringing my bodyfat down to single digits. Now that I'm in the best shape of my life, I would hate to give it up.

Thanks for listening.

Chris.

When my aortic valve starting leaking and I was told I would need surgery in the coming year, my cardiologist said to just walk, not do the step aerobics or weight trainig that I had been doing 3X week.
I had the surgery 5 mos later, got a mechanical valve to replace my porcine and when I saw the surgeon 4 mos later he said I could go back to my normal exercise routine.
I guess from reading this site that doctors opinions differ.
You will need to ask your doctors about this issue.
After surgery I was very skinny, and had lost so much muscle tone I couldn't believe it happens so fast.
But after you recover completely, you will feel like doing all the exercise you did before, and the muscle does come back,
Gail

Hi there Chris,

I've been a weight lifter/body builder (not pro) since the early 80's and had no idea I had a valve problem until summer 2000. What I did notice the last few years before surgery was that my strength was not the same as before. For a female I lifted pretty heavy. I was lifting with a personal trainer as well, and they put you through the wringer, especially on leg days. I dreaded those. I was tired a lot and many days it seemed I just did not have it in me anymore.
I went 4-5 times a week, plus I did a similar cardiovascular program. Walking/running for 1-1/2 hours was normal for me.
I went to see a homeopath in June 2000 for what I thought were menopause problems, and she noticed the heart murmur. I had known about the murmur since I became an adult, but not one doctor ever told me to have it checked out, so I never worried. This homeopath told me that before I do any exercise again to have that murmur checked out, and so I did. I received a referral for an echocardiogram and on 7/13/00 I got the shock of my life. I was told that I was only a few short months away from sudden death. I was instructed to STOP exercising right away. I had the surgery (read my story in the personals) about three weeks later. Two surgeries within eleven days to be axact as I got a blood clot the second time, and the surgery needed to be redone.
I am 15 months post-op and am feeling good. It took quite a while and I had many set backs because I wanted to do too much too soon. You know maybe how we lifters feel, but it is not that easy.
I don't look "buff" anymore. I hate it, but I just can't get that look back no matter how hard I try, but I am happy to be alive today, and to feel as good as I do.
I lift weights again, but much lighter with many more reps. I also walk/run every day but not as long.
I am sure that others who lift weights will come along and give you their input on lifting weights and exercising. There are quite a few that are, and have had the surgery.
Well, I hope I have helped you a bit. Please keep coming back and ask anything you want. We like to help.

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's mechanical
Coumadin 20mg a day.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, Welcome

Hi Chris, Welcome

Hi Chris-

You've found a wonderful site. You'll find many friends here and all of them understand what you are going through. Everyone here who has undergone heart surgery is a hero and their stories are very inspirational.

When you go to see your cardiologist, lay all your cards out on the table and discuss your lifting routine with him/her. You might have to alter your routine somewhat depending on what your tests show, but the doc can help you sort it all out.

There are so many weight lifters here that I'm sure you'll get some important advice.

The main thing is that you sound like you're in very good condition and that will be very much in your favor when you face your surgery.

I want to wish you the very best and keep us informed.

Five years ago I was doing moderate weight training and aerobics and was symptom free. I was advised to avoid the type of exercise that would involve tensing large muscles and therefore push blood pressure momentarily higher and place more strain on my valve. So I decided to cut back on some of the weights and do more aerobics. I also watched carefully to avoid holding my breath during exercise, which would also put extra strain on the valve.

I have fairly low exercise tolerance currently and I will probably have surgery within the next six months. My doctor is of the school that believes in waiting till some symptoms appear before going for surgery, the idea being that with early surgery you are on Coumadin longer, therefore slightly higher risk of side effects. Or, if a non-mechanical valve, the earlier you have it done, the sooner it will need to be replaced. There is no fixed rule for this, though most would agree that waiting until you have actual heart failure or other severe conditions is not a good idea.

Sounds like you are not having many symptoms yet. As the condition progresses you may have less energy for weight training. Unfortunately you can't exercise your way out of it. One of the choices you have to make (with the help of your doctors) is how long to wait before surgery. Educating yourself about your condition and the treatment will allow you to make informed choices. I made the choice not to have early surgery and live with some symptoms for a while. My choice may not be right for you. It depends on lifestyle, the actual condition of your valve, and your doctor's views on the matter.

You may have heard that Arnold Schwartzenegger had aortic valve replacement a few years ago. There isn't a lot of information about his specific condition, but I did read that he had some sort of defect of the aortic valve, chose to have it replaced before symptoms appeared, and had a homograft replacement (a human heart valve).

The second piece of advice you will receive from many people here is to find a good surgeon and ask a lot of questions.

Alan

Yeah, I'm sure talking with the Cardiologist 12/3 will be an eye opener. Hope he doesn't try to limit my activities too much. I'll just have to get has many second opinions as it takes to agree with mine. :D

Your right Alan, no symptoms yet. I think for me, I'll probably decide to have a go at it sooner than later, only to be able to do the things I enjoy doing should it come to having to limit my activity. My PCP said I should want to do this before any damage to my heart occurs.

And I'm afraid that like Christina suggests, my biggest problem in the end will be trying to do to much to soon after surgery. I'll have to watch out for that.

Thanks Nancy for the warm welcome. It's great to know that as this process continues forward, there will be many new friends to help educate and share their experiences.

Chris.

I think that restrictions on lifting etc., varies with the surgery, surgeon, type of problem corrected etc. I was placed on a lifting restriction before MVR and very much after AVR.
I was a martial arts fanatic who had to let go cold turkey due to my heart problems. I am about to return to the dojo after the new year since my current cardiothoracic surgeon has a different take on it. He thinks I should try it again but in moderation. I guess I have to make the best out of what I can do and not ponder too much about that which I can't.
Have never been able to do so before so I guess this will be a challenge.

Take care and welcome to this place btw!

/Jessica

:D

Chris, you should talk to RobThat'sMe. He seems to know a ton about weight lifting and fitness, plus he's already gone through surgery a while back, so he would probably be a good reference for you.

Go to the top right of the page and you'll see a button that says "members". Look up RobThat'sMe and you should be able to locate him.

Kev

Hi Chris,

As long as you do not have a connective tissue disorder, Marfans, or are pron to an aneurysm, I think you will be able to continue your exercise routine after surgery.

I used to squat 410 as part of my 10 rep set in the open rack, I was a serious weight lifter / body builder for years and thought I was in top health. Well, seems I have what the doctors called a congenital connective tissue dissorder, and my aortic artery dissected and tour into my aortic valve. I now have a St. Judes mechanical valve, and 4 " of gotex graft to rebuild my aortic artery.

The doctors really don't know what caused my problems, that is why they called it congenital. Because they just don't know what the cause was. This does very little for my peace of mind. If I knew what the cause was, I could hopefully take some preventitive action for the future. Well, the doctors preventative action with me is to "Limit the amount of stress on my circulartory system by putting me on Beta Blockers, and limiting the amount of weight that I lift to 45 lbs. So, I went from benching 285 and squating 410 to just lifting the bar. Well, I cheat alittle, I have to have some weights on the bar, so I max out at 60 lbs. I do very hight rep sets, still get a burn , maintain my tone, but have lost some bulk. But hey, I am 51 now, and not competing, and just so thankful to be alive, and still able to do about everything that I use to. I honestly feel as good as I did prior to my emergency surgery. I have to keep reminding myself, not to lift too much.

I think in your case, correcting a defect in the valve, with no other Heart related disease or problems, will have no effect on your intensity, other than, realizing that there is "Time Off" from exercise after surgery. You will loose some weight, due to the surgery, you will gain it back, you will get your body back in shape too. It just takes some time. Not much time, but you have to let your body heal before putting it to the "test" again. Since you seem to be a gym rat, you know what I mean when I say, "ease" back into it, Muscle has memory, so.. when you do start back, take it in stages, First let your muscles know that you are back, get them used to working again, and slowly move up on your weights. You will after all, be starting over again, but will get it back soon, so stay postive. Open heart surgery is a major surgery. Your body will use all its resources to heal. As an example, I weighted 174 lbs, with only 7.8% body fat prior to surgery. Within 3 days after surgery I dropped to 151 lbs. My body used everything it had to fight and keep my alive.

You should also talk with Ben Smith. He is also a gym rat, and had the Ross Procedure. He is now back at the gym lifting as he did prior to surgery.

Let me know if I can provide any more info,

Wishing you good health and a strong future,

Rob

Last edited:
Thanks Rob

Thanks Rob

Thanks Rob for the perspective. I know it will boil down to what the doc's say, so I'll keep it up until they tell me not to lift.

Chris.

Mainframe

Mainframe

Just wait till you get to the cariologist before thinking you have to have surgery. A primary care doctor has not done enough tests to predict your need for surgery. If you do need to have surgery, get informed about all the valves available. Education is the key to being well informed. There are many different valves and types to choose from if you have the time to choose. I wish you luck in being able to be comfortable with the cardio doctor. It will help in your decisions about the heart. If the doctor won't answer questions like, "what caused the murmur," and others, get another doctor. You are important and must have answers to make the right healthy choices. Thanks for coming here and good luck. I hope you have a good cardio doctor.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St Jude's valve

Latest posts

Back