First Post and Many Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaneBerm

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This is my first posting and I must admit that I feel like I'm walking onto an entirely new playing field. I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis on August 25, 2008 as the result of an echocardiogram that my internist ordered after he detected an abnormal heart rhythm during a regularly scheduled exam. I haven't yet had any symptoms beyond what I thought was mild heartburn on occasion, and I'm still having a great deal of difficulty getting my head around the severity of the situation.

My cardiologist told me that there was good news and bad news. The bad news was that I would need surgery to replace the valve. The good news was that it wasn't an emergency and my heart remained quite strong. He suggested that waiting a year would be dangerous, and agreed that I would be able to wait until January 2009 in order to accommodate my work and family schedule. I wasn't aware of the magnitude of this "waiting and worrying time" until things really started to sink in. In the meantime I am attempting to learn as much about the procedure, and what to expect in the months following it, as possible. I'm really looking for some answers, advice, and any ideas that might help to take the stress off the days and months ahead.

While I feel very lucky to have discovered this before it became an issue, I am now wrestling with two major issues, the first being whether to have a tissue or mechanical valve replacement--I can't imagine having this surgery twice, but I'm also concerned about the affects of long-term Coumadin use since I already have poor circulation in one of my legs and have been known to fall for seemingly no reason whatsoever. I have been told that all things being equal, my surgeon will insist that I make the decision on what to use.

I've been reading a multitude of posts on the AVR site and still am confused. Sometimes I even have difficulty following what is being said because of the abbreviations that are often used. Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a glossary for the terms used in describing the disease and the tests that identify various problems. My second issue is directly related to my existing physical limitations and I haven't yet found anyone reference pre-existing physical disability conditions that impacted on their rehab. I am aware from previous experience that I will need to have a plan worked out with my doctors and hospital BEFORE the surgery takes place. My last two surgeries were C-sections (29 and 26 years ago) and I spent 10 days in the hospital just to get back on my feet after each delivery.

My doctors have concluded that I have remained asymptomatic because of a combination of circumstances. During the past year I lost a considerable amount of weight in anticipation of my daughter's wedding day, and because I am post polio (I've lived with this condition since I was 5 years old), I'm not normally attempting any kind of strenuous exercise. As I've gotten older (I'm 61 now), I've become dependent on using my crutches even when walking short distances, and a motor scooter for longer distances. My physical disability resuled in a spinal fusion when I was 12 years old, and I have limited use of one leg and only muscle to power movement from the hip in the other. I have always used my upper body to propel most of my motion and thus must use my arms to push off in order to stand from a sitting position, or sit up when I've been lying down. How will this impact on my healing process. What might I expect for a time-line in getting back to being independent and able to get back to work? I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the months tic on, and right now I'm just so happy that I found this forum.

Jane

Hi Jane, and welcome!

Regarding valve choice, all I can suggest is that you read the valve selection forum and see what you think. You might also visit the anticoagulation forum for a sticky (always up at the top) thread concerning coumadin management.
I disagree that all things being equal, the surgeon will make you choose. It's more likely that all things being equal, he will make the choice for you if you have no preference.

Regarding pre-existing physical conditions, I suggest you read some of George's early threads. He entered a rehab facility after replacement due to a physical limitation that he had. I imagine you could also send him a pm and ask him any questions you may have.

Finally, regarding abbreviations, if you go a search for acronyms, you will find several threads that address this question.

Have severe is your stenosis? When did you have the echo that revealed the stenosis? You are entitled to the results of the echocardiogram in the event the cardiologist didn't share the information with you.

I know you are still trying to process the information you're receiving, but we're here to help you. Please ask any questions you have and someone will try their best to answer.

Once again, welcome!

Hi Jane,just want to welcome you to our world
sorry for the reason.....and we are all in the same
boat one way or another.Ask away anything you
may need answered,alot of good answers will come
your way.:)

zipper2 (DEB)

Welcome Aboard Jane !

You're not the first to wish for a Glossary of Terms.
There have been a couple of lists of common abbreviations in scattered posts.

At age 61, you may want to consider the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve which is approaching 20 year durability for most older recipients. The new models have an anticalcification coating that is hoped to extend the durability for a few more years. The 'new and improved' Porcine Tissue Valves may also be of interest but no one knows how long they will last yet.

In the Mechanical Valve arena, the relatively new (1996) ON-X Valves are in clinical trials for NO and LOW AntiCoagulation Levels in Low Risk Patients. They have several technological improvements over older designs. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com for details.

Also read the "stickys" at the top of the Valve Selection Forum Listing and browse through that Forum for threads of interest. That should help pass the time!

Feel Free to ask any questions that come to mind as you progress in your journey. Someone is bound to know the answer or be able to point you in the right direction.

'AL Capshaw'

Jane good evening, you will find a lot of information on this sight for most of your questions. The mechanical versus tissue valve seems to always factor in ones age and the age when it may need replaced. I personally never thought that Coumadin was something to be afraid of. This is all new to me as well; others will be able to offer you better insights. I am 11 days post op and can use my arms to assist me in getting up out of bed but sure wouldn't put anymore load on my chest than required. I spent a lot of time researching the options before surgery as well as praying, both are empowering. The surgery was my first time in a hospital but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Have a nice evening,
David

Welcome, Jane. We are not that far away from you here in CT. I don't know if you have considered consultations with surgeons yet, but you too are not far from Boston where there are two great facilities, Mass General and Brigham and Womens. If you decide to go that route, there are many here who have used these hospitals and will be happy to help you. I know you are overwhelmed right now, but I am glad you have found us and hope we can help.

Hello, and welcome to the best place "in town" for answers and support for your condition.

How brave you sound, and after all that you have already been through physically in your life. Good girl!!! You will do fine.

Let me direct you to one member, George, who has some disabilities that are of a different nature, but he uses crutches part-time and was concerned about his recovery also. Please go to "members list" and look for George. You can peruse his postings on those subjects. My guess is that if he is frequenting the forum these days, he'll pop in and say hello and try to quell some of your concerns.

Be sure to start a new thread each time you have a new type of question. That way more members will see it and you'll get more feedback.

Best wishes.

Marguerite

A few suggestions

A few suggestions

Welcome. I'm at work sitting next to a guy who lives in Warwick. You are among friends...from all over the world.

I found the decision on type of valve to be difficult (I'm 59) but went with mechanical (St. Jude) because I didn't want to have surgery again. But I work with a guy my age who had aortic valve replaced and went bovine. He seems fine, a year later. I personally have a problem with warfarin. Tests are a nuisance and any kind of surgery is very complicated because of bleeding. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

Suggest you go online and shop for a heart surgeon. Be an informed patient. I had Dr. Cohn at Brigham & Womens and am very satisfied. (P.S. He said he has done 10,000 valve replacements and last year did one (successfully) on a 90-year-old.

The acronyms are annoying but you figure them out.A common one: SOB is shortness of breath. Also AVR Aortic Valve Replacement

When I went into this I thought my life would change forever. It didn't. The surgery went fine and I'm back at work. Just do your homework.

Good luck

Hello Jane;

I too wanted to say welcome. You certainly have stumbled on the right place for information and support. It has been a great resource and comfort to me.

My Surgeon opted for (and I agreed to) a mechanical valve because of my age (46). I had my surgery on 8.8.08 and today I feel fantastic. Before surgery, I had symptoms of stable angina all of which have since disappeared.

Taking the coumadin was/is a challenge for me as I was not accustom to taking medication of any kind. But I have adjusted. I have had several little cuts since being on coumadin...no problem. I can't really tell any difference.

I'm sure you will make the proper choices for your needs. Many people here are well versed with regard to AVR. If they don't have the answers, they can likely point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you,
-Alistair

Welcome, Jane

You've certainly came to the right place! These folks are awesome! I understand your concerns regarding being disabled, & having an upcoming heart surgery. A lot will depend on how much you use your arms when you stand up. I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy. I wasn't able to stand from a sitting position without using my arm strength. We are discouraged from doing any lifting after heart surgery. I discussed this with my surgeon beforehand. He told me that using my arms as I normally do to stand wouldn't actually be especially harmful to my recovery...it would just be painful. It was indeed. Medication did help me cope, however.
I'm sure that a program can be designed to accommodate your situation. I was evaluated by a physical therapist prior to the surgery, & did spend some time in a rehab center (a specialized nursing home, actually) after leaving the hospital. Just make the team working with you aware of your special needs, & you'll be fine!

Jane,
Find the best surgeon you can, even if you have to travel for the surgery. Talk to the surgeons about minimal invasive surgery. I am 6 days post op and although it feels like I have a cracked rib on the right side, my left side is completely pain free. It might help you if at least one side can be used to do anything, right out of surgery. Valve choice does not get any easier up until the day you make the decision. Once the decision is made, you wonder why it took so long to make it. The main this to remember is, there is no wrong decision. It's completely a personal choice. If not wanting a second surgery is more important than being on a blood thinner, then mechanical is right for you. I have personal reasons for wanting to stay off blood thinner and because of that, tissue was right for me.
If your not getting the answers you need, find a new doctor. I dropped 2 cardiologist before finding one that made sense to me. This is way too important to have anything less than 100% confidence in your cardiologist and surgeon.

Welcome, Jane! I can relate to your post in many ways. Here are some thoughts from my experience:

a.) About waiting for surgery: Like you, I wanted to wait six months to minimize the impact on my family. At first the doctors said that wasn't realistic; then the surgeon spent so long doing tests to determine the best valve type and surgical technique that six months went by, anyway! Even though my symptoms got worse in those six months, I am very glad I waited for a date that fit my family the best. It made the entire experience as a whole easier.

b.) About the way in which you are very dependent on using your upper body to get around: Because of this, it is VITAL that you do not have an angeogram that goes up through your groin within a week of surgery. After surgery you will not be able to push yourself up with your arms, and if your limited use of your legs is limited even further because you have to avoid stressing that angeogram puncture area (risking bleeding) your movement will be very limited indeed, and THAT isn't good after surgery. Discuss the timing of tests with your surgeon as soon as you can!

c.) I would start making "the hospital post-surgery in-room physical therapy people will talk to me NOW" noises well before surgery so that they have a plan in place.

d.) The cardiac rehab people have their eyeballs on your heart, and only your heart. They do not know, or care, that the rest of your body exists. I would start researching independent physical therapists who can help you in the weeks and months after surgery. If you don't have someone in mind, go straight to someone in the field of sports medicine, because they are generally the only people who take mobility, strength and independence seriously.

Hi Jane,Welcome to VR! Sorry about all the abbreviations but in a short while you'll get the hang of them.

The valve choice question can be daunting. I'm just a little younger than you and asymptomatic, well, other than huffing and puffing on stairs, palpitations, and other minor signs, not enough to pull the trigger yet. I watched a couple of AVRs (aortic valve replacement surgeries) online. I was impressed with one done a few years ago down in texas where the commentators included Dr. Denton Cooley. All the surgeons in the video seemed to lean more and more toward recommending tissue valves even for younger patients. They made some interesting observations that left me leaning toward a tissue valve if and when I finally need surgery.

Good luck going forward,

Jim

Welcome to VR, Jane. You've come to the right place. Glad you found us. Since I had a repair, I can't really provide any personal insight on valve choice or life on coumadin. Best wishes and good luck.

Hey Jane
I'm new hear also. I'm facing almost the same situation as you. I've been told I will need to have my mitral valve replaced soon. I had a repair that didn't hold. I'm facing some of the same questions as you. This is the place to go to for answers. Also these people are the most fantastic and caring people out there. After my family wears me down about all of the dangers and "what ifs" about my upcoming surgery I come hear and it gives me that shot in the arm. It's been awesome to talk to peoplethat have already made this journey it can be relaxing. You fight the good fight and research research research.

Latest posts

Back