First anniversary for Aortic valve #2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebbyA

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
The year went by so quickly. I'm doing very well, hiking, traveling, gardening, and relearning bicycling. (At 68, it was kind of funny explaining to my PCP that the sore on my knee was from falling off my bike.)
Jan 30 would have been 7th for the first valve, but it didn't last that long. I tell people valve surgery is not something I want to get good at by repetition...

Debby:
Our seventh valversaries were very close to each other. Can you remind me of why you had another replacement? I too am an older member. I had my surgery when I was 65 years old! Congratulations to you on your second!
Best wishes,
Va.66

That is a wonderful milestone, Debby and so glad that you are back to being so active. Wishing good health and no more surgeries for the years to come.

Wishing you many more years of Valversaries! Sounds like you are feeling great, staying active and enjoying life!

Take care of yourself and watch out for the bike spills. I had a spill on my pedal bike in the '90's and I ended up with a broken elbow. Then a few years later, had another one on an ATV. That one was more dramatic and I ended up in the hospital with a torn knee ligament......OUCH!)

Best of luck to you!

Debby, I'm delighted to hear you are doing well after valve replacement #2. I remember so well our comparing notes before our VRs No.1. Hope you have a good long run with the new one, and I'm knocking on wood for my Dr. Speir original, coming up on 10th anniversary.

John and camgough--I appreciate your good wishes!

Va66--my original Medtronic Mosaic developed stenosis and regurgitation. The surgical notes for the replacement said the valve had a torn cusp, which was the reason for almost sudden regurgitation. The mental image I have is that of a piece of cardboard that is folded back and forth until it tears or breaks. I now have a Medtronic ATS. I think I just got the short end of the valve performance curve with my Mosaic.

Norma--you're one of my heroes. You've always been so much more active than I have, and had much more serious heart issues as well. Thanks for responding.

Bob--I think your Mosaic is performing to standard and hope you get many more years from it.

Hi, Debby!

Congratulations on year #1 on trip #2! Let's plan for this one to be around for a while, too.

Gee, if only your knee hurts after bicycling, you're doing well. My bicycle is a pain elsewhere. . . why can't they make decent seats for us "older" riders?

Post Script: I had an echo today--my mean gradient was 7 ! The last valve started off at 22. The tech said she rarely sees below 10 for a prosthetic valve. It's ridiculous that makes me feel even better, but it does.

DebbyA;n853009 said:
Post Script: I had an echo today--my mean gradient was 7 ! The last valve started off at 22. The tech said she rarely sees below 10 for a prosthetic valve. It's ridiculous that makes me feel even better, but it does.
good news Debby ... hope it stays that way :)

Back