Finally Done

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragnar

I had my aortic aneurysm repaired along with a David Procedure Thursday December 5th at the Cleveland Clinic.still in hospital. Pain was pretty intense But Ihave to say that my knee reconstructions were much more painful. I think I may have felt too good and pushed a long walk, but that's a minor inconvenience. All in all, so far, it wasn't as bad as I had feared all along.

OK so, I'm home for about two weeks. I have a MUCH better perspective on what happened.

Pain: All in all, it has been no where near as bad as I feared it would be. As I said before, the knee surgeries were much more painful. The MOST painful thing I have ever had was passing a kidney stone. There was a day or two where I thought I was approaching "kidney stone" pain was when I experience a common complication. I know that I have read about it here, but I honestly didn't remember at the time. I had this HUGE pain in my neck/shoulder/back. Turns out, what it was, was an inflamed nerve that needed a little anti-inflammatory meds. The odd part about this pain was it hurt in my neck/shoulder/back and got much worse when I breathed! The Phrenic nerve (most likely the left one) got a little 'upset' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenic_nerve . Once I realized this an the anti-inflammatory meds did their thing – all was good.

I REALLY thought that I wouldn't be able to handle the ribs/Sternum pain. But having cracked a view ribs in sports during the good ole days – this has been easy.

I haven't had or needed any pain killer stronger than tylenol since I left hospital.

Exercise: I have tried to keep walking each day. I have overdone it a few times. I also have gotten in trouble for shoveling snow. Neither felt bad at the time. My wife was a bit ticked off w/ me. The next day (or sometimes two days) I REALLY FELT IT!

Other: I have had some issues w/ blood levels which requires multiple tests. My hemoglobin has been down in the 5's, which has made me feel tired, fatigued, and generally – not in a good mood. Odd how much chemistry in the blood changes things so dramatically.

All in all, I wouldn't suggest this surgery JUST to get out of work for a few days :)

Glad to hear you are doing well. I had low hemoglobin as well and was even Rx'd iron pills for about a month, after the 1st month. Dr's said it could take up to a year to return to normal. It took more like 2 months. Re. the snow shoveling, I think that is definitely not recommended so soon after surgery. You want to let your sternum heal, that is why lifting and even driving is not recommended for 6+ weeks after surgery.

Back