Finally Back

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BECKY

Hello everybody,

I came home Tuesday afternoon. This is the first I have been able to post due to where our computer is. Once I get donwnstairs for the day it is tough to get back up to do any posting.

I am walking everyday. Everything is tougher this time. I am struggling though. I have NO appetite...so I am eating very little. I try to eat more everyday. Of course you can't keep taking pain meds. without enough food...so I am in a catch 22. I've been eating some tomato sandwiches...which I usualy Love. I'm sure things will get better soon.

I want to try Tylenol PM for some sleep. Has anybody tried that?

I'm using my spirometer and walking and today Visiting nurses are sending someone for rehab.

Glad to hear Walter is doing well!

Best to All
Becky

Last edited:
Hang in there Becky-

I had little appetite, too. I just ate whatever appealed whenever. I think I made my husband get me a Dairy Queen blizzard a couple times.

Tylenol PM is just tylenol with a Benadryl added. Should be no problem for you. So if you have Tylenol and Benadryl at home already, take one of each. Benadryl knocks me out, I am gone for at least 8 hours.

-Mara

Hi Becky,

It's good to see you on the board again.

Everything sounds pretty normal so far. You will probably have to wait a couple of weeks to get your taste back, but once that returns, your appitite should improve. In the meantime, just eat for the sake of keeping your strenght up and your medicines down.

One of the frustrating things for me when I got home was that nothing tasted the same. I was dying for a pizza and a beer, so we had that for dinner on a Friday night. The bad news was that the pizza tasted like cardboard, but the good news was the beer tasted fine.:)

If you try the Tylonol PM, be careful. The directions say to take 2, but when I did that, it really knocked me out. One tablet was sufficient for me.

By the way, when I went back to U. of P. to see my cardiologist 3 weeks after surgery, I bought a cheese steak from one of the street vendors across from the hospital. I remember that it tasted very good!

Take care and post when you can.

Ron K

HI Becky

How wonderful to hear you back on the 'puter!!! So glad you're out and as well as can be expected. We're leaving for vacation in 2 days, so we're kind of busy with the trailer, etc.....will chat more with you when we get back in a week!!!

FEEL GOOD!!

EV

Hi Becky-

So nice to see you back. You went through a load of surgery, but even so, you still sound fine. I hope your recovery goes as smooth as silk.

Take care,

Well, hey there, Becky - so good to have you home again with us. Sleep when you feel like it - any time will do - Sleep pattern seems to be all messed up when you get home. Eat when you want and whatever you want. The Tylenol PM works, but I think directions say don't take it more than 3 weeks. Everything will come back to you, given time. Don't try to hurry it. And keep on walkin. God bless

Becky,

Glad to see you made it through everything.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op ross procedure and have very little appitite. I force myself to eat. My taste changed, some things taste terrible to me now. Also, i cant sleep since the 1st night after surgery. I tried Tylenol 3 with codine as per my doctors advice and that helps a bit but i never tried Tylenol PM.

I seem to cough alot when lying down so the codine helps that. I couldn't get by with out my pillow to hug. It seems the appitite, Taste and sleep patters are normal in the beginning.

Keep us posted and hang in there - we made it through the hardest part already!

Bob

Hello Becky!
So glad to see your post and that all is progressing. Walking is so good for the body and the spirit...way to go! Your appetite will soon return. After my second AVR, it was around Christmas and nothing sounded or tasted good. However, that was a blessing... kept the "Holiday Expansion" in check... It wasn't long though before the life expectancy of a peanut M&M was just under 5 seconds!
The Best To You!
Les

Latest posts

Back