Father still in intensive care 11 days after mitral valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margy

Hi everyone. My father who is 87 had his valve replaced after 13 hours of surgery on the 25th February. The surgeon (one of the best in the UK) said the operation went well. My father was relatively strong before the operation. Post op he seemed ok but needed oxygen. Myself and my siblings went to visit him on the 1st of March. He was hallucinating and a bit distressed and still not getting enough oxygen. That was the first time he was incoherent and hallucinating. Yesterday they sedated him to help clear up an infection (in his lungs I think) and put him on the ventilator. Today he had a tracheotomy. My Mum is with him every day and today on the phone she sounded more positive about the situation. The hospital is a long way from where most of the family live and I have a cold at the moment so can not visit the ward (so I don't spread infection). My mum isn't great at taking in medical information but my sister will be staying with her from tomorrow and will talk to the doctors. The doctors and nurse all say he is getting better. Does this sound like an ok situation?!! I know it's probably hard to judge especially with my vague waffle. It's just so hard seeing him going through such a hard time but my Mum seemed to think the tracheotomy was a good thing. It's a strange situation because my Dad wasn't too ill before his operation. He's had a valve repair 7 years before (which post operation was much easier than now) and elected to have the surgery.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant with my first child and feel so emotional!

Hang in there. I'm 39 and just spent 11 days in the ICU. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. I know it was very tough for my family to see me in the ICU. Sending good thoughts your way. Try not to set timetables or expectations. I think that makes it harder.

Hang in there. I'm 39 and just spent 11 days in the ICU. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. I know it was very tough for my family to see me in the ICU. Sending good thoughts your way. Try not to set timetables or expectations. I think that makes it harder.

Thank you. That sounds like good advice.

They probably did the tracheotomy to make it easier for him on the ventilator. If he was having trouble breathing, then the vent will help with that. I can understand why you are emotional; I'm sure it's a really hard situation for you all.
Please keep us updated on how he's doing.

Hi Margy,

Sometimes it takes longer for some to recover than others. At 52, I was in the ICU for 32 days after my second. While nobody likes being in the hospital, it's still probably easier on him the you (the family). I'm not sure how my wife managed. I did manage to get out of the hospital after a couple of months and ended up fully recoverying. As long as your father continues to make progress, this is good. It's not a race to recovery.

The hallucinating might not be that uncommon either. for me, I was convinced that the ICU staff was out to "get me". It's called ICU psychosis and not uncommon for those being in the ICU for a longer strech of time.

The hallucinating might not be that uncommon either. for me, I was convinced that the ICU staff was out to "get me". It's called ICU psychosis and not uncommon for those being in the ICU for a longer strech of time.
I asked my anaesthetist about ICU psychosis as I had read about it - he told me that it happens when people are in ICU for a length of time because the drugs they are given suppress REM sleep (dream sleep) and that leads to psychosis and hallucinations.

Well with the Dr's, nurses, and your Mom saying that he is getting better, that sounds promising. My father was in the ICU a couple times and my sister and I lived a ways away so couldn't be there all the time. We often called the floor and asked for his nurse to get updates. Also, both times when my father was very ill he also had some episodes of hallucinations. Not sure if it was the meds, his condition, or what. In any case when he recovered his mind was back to normal, though he had some unusual memories that seemed very real to him.

He's doing better. Apparently he was sitting up in a chair today writing on a pad with legible handwriting (which is quite something in it's self!) The infection on his lungs is still there but not getting worse. Still needs the ventilator to breath. We all feel very relieved. Hopefully he will continue to improve! Thank you for everyone's comments. It really helps!

@Margy. Sounds like he is doing great. I've been checking the forum daily for updates. Glad to hear you and your family feel some relief.

Very happy to hear your Dad is doing better, Margy.
Hopefully he'll continue on this good upward path.
If you have a chance, check back in with us when you feel like it. :)

Hi again. He's is off the ventilator which is good but because of this he is really tired too tired to write or communicate. Yesterday he went grey and collapsed. They thought it might be gas on his stomach pushing his diaphragm up and interfering with his breathing. He had a CAT scan but they couldn't find anything. Hoping he is better today. Just trying to stay positive. I still have a cold so can't visit which is horrible! I wrote him a letter which my Mum said he was really pleased to receive.
Our baby scan showed that our baby is healthy and a little boy. I'm full of joy and sadness at the moment. Just hope my Dad gets to meet his Grandson.
Thanks again for the messages of support. x

Surgeon spoke to my sister yesterday. Said that because Dad was frail before his operation it is going to take him a long time to recover but that he is a fighter.

Margy,
Will continue keeping your father in my prayers. Baby steps are a good sign...being a fighter will serve him well. :)
So glad to read that you have a healthy, baby boy based on the scan. This will give your father a reason to continue improving.

I'm very sad to have to report my father died yesterday morning at 1am. The whole family was with him in his last few days. He had suffered a lot of complications including developing dry gangrene in his feet (a side effect of the blood pressure drugs on someone with peripheral neuropathy) which lead to his toes being amputated. His body couldn't cope with the amount of antibiotics and other medication. He eventually developed pneumonia.

If anyone else is considering surgery to improve the quality of their life when it isn't perhaps strictly necessary or urgent and they are very old and frail then I would urge them to think very carefully. My Dad was advised by his consultant cardiologist not to have the operation. My Dad, a doctor himself, calculated the risk of dying as being 15%

He probably underestimated the risk. His family never felt good about him having the operation but my Dad was a very detirmined man. We will all miss him terribly.

Margy,

I am so sorry to hear this sad news after the long post-op struggle. I am sending my best thoughts and prayers to you and family.

Thanks also for passing along the perspective of considerations to take into account when deciding on surgery at an advanced age. Appreciate you taking the time to do that at this very difficult time.

All best wishes….

I am so sorry for your loss of your father. My thoughts are with you. Please take of yourself, and know that this forum of people are thinking about you.

Latest posts

Back