Experiences on Your bridging before orthopedic sugery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryka

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Please share with me your experiences with bridging before/during/after orthopedic surgery, particularly hip replacement surgery. I hope to have hip replacement in August and want to see what I might be in for. :confused:

Bridging would be the same regardless of what surgery your having. Either you'll be admitted to the hospital and placed on a Heparin drip or prescribed Lovenox and give yourself shots twice a day.

If Lovenox is used, you stop Coumadin about 3 to 5 days before surgery and when your INR hits 2.0, you begin Lovenox once every 12 hours until 12 to 16 hours before surgery.

After surgery, when all bleeding is under control, they'll start the Lovenox and Coumadin together and keep the Lovenox every 12 hours until your above 2.0.

Bridging Before an Invasive Procedure is pretty much the same as Ross described regardless of the procedure.

Bridging AFTER an Invasive Procedure can be variable, depending on the Surgeon's assessment of Risk of Bleeding versus Risk of Stroke. It would be wise to involve your Cardiologist in the planning with your Orthopedic Surgeon.

'AL Capshaw'

I'm currently bridging for a surgery on Thursday. I quit taking coumadin a couple of days ago and started giving myself shots of Lovenox. No biggie really. Tiny needle into the body fat around the mid section (most of us have enough :) ) After the surgery I'll start taking coumadin again and Lovenox until I'm back between 2.5 and 3.5.

My first surgery I had a tissue value and had a bout of afib, so I had to bridge after the VR surgery with Lovenox until my INR was up. I ended up taking coumadin for approx. 6 weeks.

My second AVR I the rehab hospital found a blood clot in my leg. Had to do the heperin drip for 5 - 7 days while on bed rest. No fun.

When I broke my arm & wrist last December and needed surgery my they eased my inr down with FFP and finally with a small dosage vit k shot. Dr. was ok with 2.0 going in. Bridged with Lovenox after surgery and they started the warfarin right away.

It was a 4.5 hour surgery - lots of damage - had to put in 4 plates and 24 screws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back