Experiences at Johns Hopkins Hospital?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreydc

Hi all,

My name is Jeff and I've enjoyed reading all of your postings. I'm 36, 6'8 (never have been tested for Marfan's), have a BAV, and the latest measurements of my aorta were 5.4 (up from 4.8 last year), and 4.2 at the root. I met with Dr. Duke Cameron at Hopkins 2 weeks ago and he said it was time to replace the ascending aorta. I've read a lot posts on here about him and he is definitely very personable and quite skilled. So now that I've found a surgeon, I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences about how the hospital was (nurses, rooms, etc). I'm just trying to get a sense of what things are like, such as are cell phones or ipods allowed?

Thanks to all who have posted - I've found a lot of great advice on this website!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am 43 and Dr. Cameron did my AVR at Hopkins in July of 2009. Cannot say enough about him and he is obviously one of the best out there. I was very pleased with my stay at hopkins. I was in for 5 days and had no issues or real complaints (the food is not the best, but then again, most hospital food is not). They were very responsive to my requests and needs. I had my cellphone and Ipod with me the whole time, so that should not be a problem.

Hope everything goes great for you and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr Cameron and Hopkins

Dr Cameron and Hopkins

I had an aortic root replacement and avr with onx valve by Dr Cameron in June two years ago.
I ended up having a pacemeaker installed about a week later due to heartblock which was a 2% chance prior to the surgery...Dr Cameron and the Hopkins team are amazing. Good luck to you ...you are in terriffic hands...

Hi Jeff, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you've gotten good positive comments from members who had their surgery with Dr. Cameron at Hopkins. I have heard good things second-hand about Hopkins over the years, but I had my surgery at Inova Fairfax in Northern Virginia when we lived up there. My experience with Dr. Speir and Inova was also great, both the surgeon and the hospital.

Sounds like you are in good hands. Wishing you all the best and looking forward to further posts from you.

Hi Jeff and welcome! Dr. Duke Cameron was my surgeon. He could not have been more knowledgeable or compassionate about his work. The man has the ablilty to monitor patients FROM HOME. Hopkins was SUPER as far as nursing care, allowing my husband to sleep in the room with me, xtra trays for him, etc. Only bad thing was the housekeeping...the bathroom was dirty...but we called and they came up and took care of it from then on out. Also, the lab...some of the lab techs were soooooooooo good, patient with me when I explained that I had bad veins and they took their time to send the best up to my room to find my veins as I did not wish to have multiple sticks for blood. Nursing care excellent!

Thanks to those who wrote about their experiences! I'm just trying to get an idea of what the procedure is like, in addition to the recovery process. It's definitely scary, however it's nice to know that others can share very positive experiences not only with the surgeon, but also the hospital.

Right now I'm looking at a month or two before surgery - still waiting to hear. Will keep you posted!

This is my third time trying to post here, so I will leave out most of what I had written. I used my cell phone at Hopkins. I love Duke Cameron and the staff at Hopkins brought me much support and Christmas joy. Private message me if you want more info! You will be in good hands!

Hi all,

My name is Jeff and I've enjoyed reading all of your postings. I'm 36, 6'8 (never have been tested for Marfan's), have a BAV, and the latest measurements of my aorta were 5.4 (up from 4.8 last year), and 4.2 at the root. I met with Dr. Duke Cameron at Hopkins 2 weeks ago and he said it was time to replace the ascending aorta. I've read a lot posts on here about him and he is definitely very personable and quite skilled. So now that I've found a surgeon, I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences about how the hospital was (nurses, rooms, etc). I'm just trying to get a sense of what things are like, such as are cell phones or ipods allowed?

Thanks to all who have posted - I've found a lot of great advice on this website!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Dr. Duke Cameron performed my aortic aneurysm repair back on 9/20/01. I too was born with BAV along with other heart related issues pertaining to Shone's Syndrome. Duke is a great guy and did a wonderful job with my surgery. Regarding the hospital itself, I had some unpleasant experiences there including my blood vials getting lost before they could get my blood readings (prothrombin time and other tests) and situations where someone would come to draw my blood at late night, and then 10 minutes later someone else would come to draw my blood, not realizing that someone else had stopped by earlier. They were extremely disorganized back then. Hopefully now that it's almost 10 years from that time, they have improved, but again I'm just sharing my experiences.

Navin

Back