exercise equipment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

I am thinking of buying a rowing machine. I already have a recumbant stationary bicycle. I use it 3-5 days a week. I used a rowing machine at rehab monday and really liked it. The bicycle only exercises my legs and the rowing machine will help my upper body. Does anyone have a rowing machine? If so, what kind and how much did it cost? I also have a few light hand weights.

I had a VO2 of 18 pre-op. I can exercise for about 45 minutes before I get tired. Anyone have any other suggestions? I will also talk to the staff at rehab.

Debbie

VO2max determination is very complicated and when done to the limit it is actually dangerous. They'd never do it on anyone with even the slightest cardiac risks, so you must have had a sub-maximal VO2 test. It gets lower as you age too. 18 seems low but in and of itself means very little except when you can retest after some months of training to see how much it improves. Here's a VO2max predictor for runners. I don't know if there is one for any other sport.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/ca...min=8&sec=28&age=62&gender=M&Submit=Calculate

I liked the rowing machine in rehab too. We already had one at home, and it was completely different. I found out that ours was hydraulic, and the one in rehab (Concept II) is fly-wheel. I found the fly-wheel a much more user-friendly experience. (We gave ours away on freecyle--the recipent emailed to complain that the action was so difficult. She had been expecting one like the gym.) Last time I looked, the Concept web site had a search feature for which commercial gyms in your zip code has them. I've looked on Craig's list a few times and found many more people looking for than selling. And that's all I know...hope it helps.

Sumorunner,

I had a peak relative VO2 at 18.1 ml/kg/min with a peak RER of 1.32 (RER < 1.09 suggests submaximal effort.) Over time I have had 2 previous GXTs with 17.9 & 17.5 VO2. They have all been done on a bicycle so in actuality it is probably closer to 20. My right ventricle is very enlarged so my stroke volume can not increase with increase activity. I am also on beta-blockers. All this was pre-op so it will be interesting to see what it is next may when I have my next GXT. I have been exercising for 3-5 days a week for years.

DebbyA,

I have tried a couple in a local store and of course like the more expensive one.

Debbie

go for a ConceptII, most stable and reliable, maintenance & repair everywhere, most widely used (big online comunities available)
and of course get a heart rate monitor (for the most recent Concept I beleive the monitor comes with it, you only need to buy the chest strap)

enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back