Enterobacter Aerogenes (say it 5 times real fast)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVELYN

Hi All

I'm writing to you from Maine where we're on vacation. Of course, something always has to go awry, so why shouldn't this one be any different. When we were on Long Island, we went and did all our drs visits. The cardio was great, the eye dr, fine, etc. Until we got to our internist. Apparently Tyce now has ....a uti called enterovacter aerogenes....Of course, when I googled it, it said lots of interesting things, but most specifically, that it is very resistant to treatment. He's having a script called in to the pharmacy in Maine, but our regular dr. did say that she wanted another urinalysis done in 10 days and possibly a urologist's opinion.

What my question is is basically, "What does anyone know about this strain and how much should I be worried?" Any help would be greatly appreciated....His count was 100,000 and normal is 0.

Thanks.

Evelyn

I question that diagnosis. Here is why:

Enterobacter aerogenes is a Gram-negative, oxidase negative, catalase positive, rod-shaped bacterium.

E. aerogenes is a nosocomial and pathogenic bacterium that causes opportunistic infections in skin and other tissues. Some strains can become very treatment resistant, a result of their colonization within hospital environments.

Most of the infections caused by E. aerogenes result from specific antibiotic treatments, venous catheter insertions, and/or surgical procedures. E. aerogenes is generally found in the human gastrointestinal tract and does not generally cause disease in healthy individuals. It has been found to live in various wastes, hygenic chemicals, and soil. The bacterium also has some commercial significance - the hydrogen gas produced during fermentation has been experimented with using molasses as the substrate.

It may spoil maple sap and syrup. [1]

One possible identification code generated by testing E. aerogenes using an API strip is 5 305 773 and Enterotube strip is 3 6 3 6 1. .

hi rossman

tyce has had two urinalysis's done. one was a regular catch and the other a culture. both said the same thing......he just started a 10-day regieme (sp) of sulfamethoxazole-tmp.......the same meds one of my horses was on for a fungal infection, but not the same doseage.....and will then have another urinalysis. need i say, i'm worried!!!!

e

Evelyn, I can't help with your question, but just wanted to say that you and Tyce have our thoughts and prayers. I hope he responds to treatment and knocks this thing out.

Thanks, Wise....

Rossman, I have absolutely no idea how he got it. He's on sulfamethoxazole-tmp ds twice daily for ten days and will then repeat the urine culture. hopefully we can knock it out with this drug. it's the same drug one of my horses was on when he had nasal surgery.

hopefully it just stays contained to his bladder.

e

Latest posts

Back