Endocarditis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercia

Hello all,
Just completed 6 weeks of antibiotic IV treatment, for endocarditis from bacterium. Latest TEE still showed presence of vegetation on my on-x mitral valve. Does anyone know what the risks are leaving vegetation on valve?

Well, here's an uneducated guess... I initially needed an AVR because the vegetations around my valve were getting too close to .8... So I'd imagine if they kill everything alive in there, the junk will just remain as a crummy bug catcher and u will have to be more careful than before ... Just had my molar pulled, four root canal, cavity next to it and another cap fall off during the work due to decay (?!!)... I have definitely changed dentists as he saw none of this and it isn't new... Praying the ( yes) literal jawbone I can SEE under where splinters were taken out under the pulled molar is no entrance to bacteria- the orthodontist surgeon said it was not and was quite harsh with me that the skin will ( the gum') grow back over the opening. So.. If anyone answers you intelligently... I also will be the recipient of the info as I have 2 new valves- aortic AND mitral.. Brought on we think by radiation for Hodgkins in 1970... Hope you get some answers!!!!

Hello Mercia. I'm currently going through the same thing myself. Talking with my cardiologist, in theory after 6 weeks, there will still be some endocarditis. Hopefully smaller as shown by echo or TEE. It may take up to 2 months before the patient is left with a sterile scar. In my case, the vegetation went from 12mm to about 5mm in about a 7 week period. My case is still pending but i was told the vegetation doesn't go away over 6 weeks and it takes a longer time. So don't necessarily think that your condition will not get better.

Latest posts

Back