Elevated BP following AVR surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg_moore

Prior to my surgery my BP was well controlled on 5 mg Norvasc daily. Since surgery my BP has been in the 130-150 / 60-70 range, and my cardiologist wants to put me on a pretty aggressive course of additional medication. I don't tolerate BP meds well at all, and I'm afraid my quality of life will plummet if I have to start taking a bunch of new meds. Does anybody know about BP rising after surgery: can I hope it might settle down after some time has passed?

Before my surgery a year ago, my valve had become so calcified and narrow that my cardiac output (and blood pressure) were lower than normal. After surgery, my blood pressure and ejection fraction have increased again. I wonder if something similar happened to you. Your systolic pressure looks high to me. Trust your cardiologist to find the right solution for you.

I can't say why, but after my valve replacement, they changed my BP meds from an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB - Avalide) to a beta blocker (metoprolol). For quite a while (over a year) my BP stayed higher than it was prior to surgery, but I don't know if that was related to recovery or med changes. It has now gone down to where it was prior to surgery, just being controlled with a different med. These things, like general healing, seem to progress over quite a span of time.

Hi Dave - While we're all different, having changing bp post valve OHS seems to be not uncommon.

I had hypertension before the surgery and then my bp was too low post-op but months later I was hypertensive again. Maybe that's in the "too much information" category :) but I mean that you may smooth out yet. Work closely with your doctor and hang in there.

Also, if one type of hypertensive medication doesn't seem to work well for you, you could ask your doctor if you can try a different medication or possibly a different family branch of hypertensive medication. I've developed gradual problems with some of the hypertensive medication families and am fairly limited as to what works well for me without causing other difficult side effects.

Best wishes :)

Back