Elephant Rock Cycling Festival benefits Team Rise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip B

On Sunday, June 1, I made a trip down the mountain to participate in the Elephant Rock Cycling Festival in Castle Rock, Colorado by doing the 65 mile course. The festival raises money to benefit the Rise School. 7,000 cyclists participated in this event.

The Rise School runs intensive pre-school programs to help children with cerebal palsy and down syndrome. Quality pre-school programs can make a huge difference with children who have these kinds of disabilities.

This event ride was my first since my AVR surgery in March, 2007. Despite the challenges of the terrain, wind, and sun, it was a blast. My goals were to simply finish without running my average heart rate too high, still be able to walk and make the drive home. Other than getting a little too much sun, the event went very well. All goals were accomplished.

These kinds of events regardless of whether the activity is running, walking, or cycling really can provide a good focus for a fitness program. Events like this typically raise money for some very good causes as well.

I'll probably take today off and return to my training schedule to prep for my next event ride tomorrow.

-Philip

Congratulations Philip! :) Sounds like you had a lot of fun. If you don't mind my asking, what is your average heart rate? Do you train based on your heart rate or how you feel?

Heart Rate Answer

Heart Rate Answer

No, I don't mind answering your question at all...

I focus on heart rate when I do exercise stuff. My current heart rate zones look like this:

Level 5 175-158
Level 4 158-140 (Threshold)
Level 3 140-123 (Aerobic)
Level 2 123-105
Level 1 105-88

Oops

Oops

Oops. it seems that I had a glitch on that last post and it posted before I finished.

My present maximum heart rate is 175. Basically, if I'm doing exercise which pushes my heart rate that high I can't maintain that rate for long.

My average rate for the E-Rock event was 145. That's about 83% of my max rate and a good medium range aerobic level of exercise. Exercise at this level improves my cardiovascular performance, increases my VO2 ability, and burns both fat and carbhydrates. Keep in mind, a cycling event like requires lots of changes in heart rate. Heart rate typically rises when hill climbs are necessary and drops during descents.

I used to base my exercise program on how I felt, but switched to using a heart rate based approach when I did my cardiac rehab program. It was pretty neat to see changes in my heart rate and rhythm during the program. My maximum heart rate has actually improved dramatically since I did the rehab program.

Opinions will vary a lot about the best approach to exercise following OHS. A heart rate based approach gives me a good way to gauge my progress.

-Philip

Congratulations on the success of the ride. 65 miles is quite a distance to accomplish. Glad to hear that you had fun also, that's always important, or at least the ability to look back at it and say you had fun. ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your next event.

Philip, congrats on a successful ride for a substantial distance, particularly for what sounds like a mountain bike course. Presume there would have been some good hills, which I'm sure would put the legs (and heart) to the test. Sounds like a very worthy cause that you were supporting. Good luck in the future!

Road Course

Road Course

No, while the E-Rock offered a 35 mile mountain bike course, I opted for the 65 mile road course. The road courses wind through foothill areas between Denver and Colorado Springs. Both the 65 mile and 100 mile E-Rock courses involve lots of challenging hill climbs. One of the roads included in the route is aptly named Roller Coaster.

I'll take a run at an event ride (Sunrise Century) out of the Boulder, Colorado, area next week. The 75 mile course option I'll do on the Sunrise involves a 33 mile climb on the Peak-to-Peak Senic Byway. It should be interesting.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back