Echo results update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rick W

Hello everyone.

I spoke with my doctor today about the results of the ECHO done last week. The news is he thinks I am 6-9 months from AVR surgery, when he will want to at least repeat the ECHO and probably do a Angiogram. I must say I feel a bit stunded, even having known this was coming for some time now. I am at between 0.7 and 0.8 cm2 valve area with an increase in the gradient as well. My thoughts right now are I do not want to do this. I guess I will have to come to accept it.

Thanks to all of you who have listened to my belly aching and responded to my posts. This is a great forum.

Rick

Hi,

Sorry you have not been able to dodge this bullet. I have posted a lot recently about my own experience and don't want to rehash all of it here, since you can find it and view it if you choose.

I do want you to know that since you are at the "severe" stage the surgery is going to save your life. Do not turn a blind eye to any symptom regardless of how mild. Shortness of breath, pain or pressure in the chest, and lightheadedness or fainting are all the "classic" symptoms they look for. I never had these or any and went from . 7 to .61 in five months, my cardiologist said I was not going to last another 5 years and that I needed to have surgery in less than a year more like two or three months. It was a bitter pill but, I must tell you my surgery and recovery were easier than the stress and anxiety of waiting and worrying. I never had any symptoms, which is what they wait for to choose surgery.

I believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the surgery saved and prolonged my life. I was not that sure before and was pretty much a wimp about it. Glad the cardio was so strong willed and sure of himself.

Damage to the heart may be permanent so don't ignore any signs. Best of luck.

Come here often and vent, question, read and come to grips with this situation. Email me if you want private dialog.

Bill

You are right this is a great forum.

The great people here have made all the difference in the world for me.

They will for you and you will do just fine. This surgery is just becoming a routine with great results, than the good Lord.

Rick - Sorry to hear you will have to go through the surgery. I remember having that feeling of wanting to avoid going through it. About 4 months before surgery, I found this web site and it was better knowing people who have had the experience and were willing to support you. Now, I feel great and am glad to be on the other side. Hope your experience is as good as mine (or better). Good luck.

Rick:

Lets (both of us) try to be tough, here. Bill is right, we have NO choice other than WHEN to have surgery. If we do not fix this when it is time, plan on lights out sooner than you want. If we fix it sooner, we can get on toward healing and feeling better sooner, and having the rest of our lives because of it.

Remember we're about the same age, and I'm probably just a couple of lengths behind you in the race to the OR (they told me I'm at about 1.0 cm squared now).

It sucks, but I have come to peace with the conclusion that it really beats the alternative. We should be very, very thankful that we have a "disease" with a treatment success rate so high. There are so many wonderful folks out there with conditions that are either untreatable or the odds of success are not known.

Stay in touch.

SteveE

Latest posts

Back