Eager to get pregnant after MVR 3 yrs ago....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

saseb125

Hello Readers,

I am a mother of two wonderful boys, who is now 7 and 5 yrs old. I love my children and my other half. But, there's just one thing that we all want...We all want a sister or a brother. Let me tell a little story....

First of all, it all started in Oct 2005...One morning I woke up with cold sweats, high fever, body aches, and chills. I really thought that I had a very bad case of the Flu. I got out of bed and went into the living room. Just getting there, got me all worked up. I remember my mom standing over me and saying that I don't look so good and that I need to head on over to the ER. She had waken my boyfriend and told him that I needed to go to the ER. My body was achy that I didn't even want to move or be moved. Well, we ended up at the ER, took all kinds of test, and got sent home later on that night. Of course, no one knew exactly what was wrong. Two days later, I had my follow up with my Primary Care Physician and still had a high fever. As soon as I walked into the office, the staff called the Doctor and informed her that I was there....Doctor came out and ordered me to go straight to Admitting. I asked her why and she said that they had found something. So I went. Once I settled in, that's when they gave me the news...I had an infection on my Mitral Valve which required an Open Heart Surgery. I couldn't believe it...Well, they told my family what my options were and they came to a decision on me getting the Mechanical Valve. Because of my fevers, I was to delirious and I don't remember much. So, I had the surgery. After the surgery, I developed Pneumonia....In the end, I stayed in the hospital for a whole month.

In October 2009, it will be 4 years since my MVR. Since the New Year, my oldest has been begging for a sibling (especially a sister). He ask everyday up until now and all I can say to him is...."WAIT!" But, just the other day, I went to see my Cardiologist. Prior to that I had a Echocardiogram. My Cardiologist said that the Echo was beautiful and so were my lab results. Then he asked, "Do you have any questions?" "Yes, since you say that everything looks beautiful, do you think it's possible for me to try and get pregnant?" He said, "Wait a minute, that's a different story and I truely think that you shouldn't get pregnant." When he told me that, I felt like my hear dropped. I really had my hopes up high because I just found out recently that a friend of mine had a sister that had a MVR, with a mechanical valve, who has a daughter that turned out just fine.

I need advise if any of you have been through what I've been through.....

Did he elaborate as to why you shouldn't? If he didn't offer an explanation, I'd inquire further or get a second opinion.

It could be the coumadin or might be complications during your two previous pregnancies?

MY (very limited) understanding that Pregnancy while on Coumadin is considered High Risk for both the mother and child. You probably need to talk with a High Risk Obstetrician and whoever oversees your Coumadin Management to get a better understanding of the Risks.

Your 2 Healthy and Happy Children NEED their mother.
Why risk their future with a High Risk Pregnancy that could turn your future and theirs upside down?

'AL Capshaw'

Take a Stand

Take a Stand

I have had my new Mitral Valve for 6 years and I have lots of other stuff that complicates my future. I have a noisy valve and I have been back at work for most of the 6 years. Having children is something that requires a huge effort and if you put yourself under general anesthetic you need to be sure you walk out with the baby.
The last time you got lung problems it could you are saying that the kids want another sibling because you know you don't have the physical ability to cope with the delivery. Its your body its your life take a stand:):):)

There have been people on this site who have gotten pregnant with a mechanical valve and have had good results, and others who have not. Either way, from what I understand, it is an ordeal that requires constant monitoring even in the best case. Here are a couple links from people who have had issues:

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16186
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23203
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23884

Here is a post from someone who had fewer complications:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24987

I wish you nothing but the best as you work through this difficult decision.

It is a risky undertaking, and as MikeHeim said, we have members who've had positive and negative experiences. At the very least, if it is attempted it must be carefully planned. "Accidentally" getting pregnant so you are forced to deal with it isn't a good idea. Your heart will most likely be able to handle it strength-wise (although I can't say this with certainty) but the medications/clot/bleed issues are significant that you would be considered High Risk through out and would probably be seeing a doctor quite often to be monitored.

One of the reasons it needs to be planned carefully is that Coumadin can cause birth defects when taken in the 1st trimester. You would probably be put on twice daily Lovenox shots for the first trimester and possibly the last trimester.

I was in your position somewhat. I had 2 children and we had always planned on having 3. During the pregnancy with my 2nd child is when my valve went bad. I had 2 children to raise (they were 5 and 7 when I had my replacement) and I couldn't see putting them through any more of Mommy's health issues by going with a tissue valve that would deteriorate and need another replacement (The deterioration of my native valve took it's toll on my health and my family life and I just didn't want to put myself in a position to repeat that.) I went through a period of really feeling sorry for myself that we weren't having our planned 3rd child. All my friends were having theirs - babies everywhere. We considered adopting a 3rd, but finally came to the conclusion that we had been blessed with 2 wonderful children and that we needed to let it be what it was.

My best advice for you is to consider that you have 2 children already in the world that need a strong, healthy Mom to raise them. I had to care for 2 children for 5 years prior to my valve replacement with a very compromised heart and it was hell....for all of us. My children are now 23 and 25, I am a grandma to a beautiful 2 year old granddaughter and grandchild #2 is on the way. I got past the desire to have that 3rd, but it took a while.

If it's something you feel you absolutely have to do - then consult all the experts first and plan it out very carefully.

Best wishes.

As must agree with all that is stated above. This is something you need to take a good hard look at with the proper medical authorities. There are however other oppertunities for you to also look at such as; being a foster parent, or adoption.

I hope all works out for you & your family no matter which way you decide go

You are lucky to have two wonderful boys. I'd think being there for them is more important. I actually haven't studied the risk myself, but I know that my priority is to be healthy and strong to raise the one that I have. You should consider the risk carefully.

All the best,

My cardiologist has stated that he would not support me through a pregnancy as it would be way too risky. I had two pregnancies while I had my tissue valve (I now have a mech aortic valve), and I have two healthy boys, but I would have loved another. To further complicate things my new partner has no children but would like one in the future... Me having another pregnancy really is out of the question as far as I am concerned after reading all the studies I could find and stories from people on here. The risks are huge, and there is a chance that you and/or the baby will not make it and a very good chance that there will be complications.
The tentative plan is to look at surrogacy down the track, that way we can have a child who is 'ours' but without the risks involved with me being pregnant. I would be happy to adopt, myself, but my beliefs about what constitutes 'family' are pretty liberal :)
Make sure you know what you would be in for. It is not nice being told you can't do something that you have a strong biological urge to do, but you need to understand exactly what is at stake.

I made the decision that there were too many possible complications with pregnancy and my mechanical valve and wanted to make sure I was healthy enough to be around for him after he was born. I have a 15 month old that is here because of surrogacy.. Gnusgal on the boards is currently expecting twins through surrogacy as well. If you decide to get pregnant, I wish you the best of luck and you'll have a great support team here, but my decision was that it was just way to risky.. especially after meeting a woman here in town that decided to try it and had many severe complications.. If you are open to surrogacy, there are many great info. sites out there.. let me know if you have any questions or would like links to some great surrogacy sites.. good luck!

Back