During surgery questions???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first surgery I remember being in a pre surgery room getting an IV. Next thing I woke up intubated and remember hearing a beeping sound. I knew that wasn't good and that I should try to do a better job of breathing on my own. It didn't seem like to long before I was told to cough ant the breathing tube was removed.

For my second surgery, I remember being wheeled toward surgery, I don't remember being wheeled into surgery. I was intubated for 13 days after surgery and remember the feeling of being trapped. Apparently I was brought out of conscious sedation a couple of times during this period and I knew I had a breathing tube. I had weird dreams during this time including thinking I was being intubated and kept that way by evil doers and my wife was in on it. I was sure the police would rescue me. I don't remember the breathing tube being removed at all.

Luckily I went into the hospital the night before so I was given a sedative and managed to sleep. I woke up the next morning when my family came but I was then given another heavy sedative. All I remember after that is being wheeled to the operating room, getting kisses from my family and I was a goner.

Woke up in ICU and don't remember that much except for how much I disliked the breathing tube and throwing up when I had a drink of orange juice.

I don't recall any weird dreams or anything from either of my surgeries. I do remember what my surgeon said after my first surgery, though. I woke up and he said, "She's got GREAT lungs." Don't know why, but that really made me giddy - maybe cause he was a very handsome man and I'd gotten a bit of a crush. : )

Best of luck with your surgery!

If your experience is like mine, you'll walk into the OR, you'll lie down on the table, they'll insert the IV and you'll be out before you even feel drowsy. The next thing you'll know you'll wake up in ICU surrounded by your ICU nurse and your family, in the blink of an eye. In no pain, I may add, just very aware of the breathing tube.

Blink. Like absolutely no time passed at all. Very strange sensation to know that it had actually been about 10 hours. You may get lucky like you did with the wisdome teeth, as I never had one iota of pain or soreness after surgery. Recovery wasn't all peaches and cream (I was febrile for a few days, had moderate renal impairment, became very anemic requiring transfusion, had a LOT of trouble sleeping at all for over a week and was weak as can be for a month), but within a few months I was completely restored to good health.

I blinked out on a Monday morning. Surgery was 7.5 hours. I was told I woke up the next day. I started "coming to" on Wednesday - the first day I remember anything. The breathing tube was gone when I woke up. I was goofy from the morphine and other drugs. I couldn't finish sentences when I tried to talk. I couldn't tell time. Heck, the nurses even told me to turn on my right side, but I just looked at them because I didn't know direction was right.

I wasn't in pain until Saturday morning. That's when the truck hit me! I guess I was still juiced up on morphine during the ICU stay. After the pain kicked in, I stayed on Percocet the rest of my visit.

Latest posts

Back