Drugs for A-Fib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileena46

OK...I only went into A-fib once (once after surgery and once before) but it was about 3 weeks post op. I am now taking amiodarone, which most of you know I love! Because for the first time in many many years my heart is beating RIGHT. Does anyone understand that? It has a steady beat that I cannot remember having in my adult life.

Sure, it might have been the surgery...but I think it is the amiodarone. Since I found out in another thread this drug is turning people BLUE I am freaking out. I don't want to stop taking it...but I think I should.

So, my question is...what do all of you take that keeps you in rhythm? Did anyone have the horrible jumping heart I did before surgery? (I was told it was benign PVCs) Surely you guys have a drug that you all like that tends to work for you.

My options just cannot be either blue or out of rhythm...can they? Please dont suggest the new drug...no insurance and my finances are in horrible shape now....simply cannot buy that drug!

Is there something else? What works for you? If I stop taking amiodarone what are my chances of staying in rhythm? Please dont give me the speech about the horrors of it. I know...I read about them.....truth is...I am willing to chance those side effects to stay in rhythm...but I not willing to turn BLUE!

Help me out here.

Mileena

Hi Mileena -

I'll tell you a few things I've experienced. I developed post-op A-fib and was put on Digoxen, which didn't work for me, so I was readmitted to the hospital and put on Sotalol, which kicked the A-fib right away and I only had to take it for about three months. I was also given magnesium IVs while I was in the hospital.

Last year I came down with an astounding sudden onset of PVCs. A holter monitor captured over 10,000 in less than a day, and it wasn't my worst day. Even though they were considered benign, they certainly didn't feel benign! My cardio ran a blood test and found my minerals to be out of balance, namely magnesium and potassium. He put me on an RX of supplements for them. I think it helped and he increased them. But, on my own, I eventually switched to drinking water with minerals instead.

Also I eventually discovered that my bp medication was contributing to my mineral imbalance, evidently through a cumulative manner. I was switched to another bp med and things got much better for me. It was such a great relief to me when my heart began having normal steady beats again, instead of the excessively loud, extra, and missed KERTHUMPS!

As I understand, a couple of things that can contribute to mineral imbalances, and no doubt there are many other things, are excessive sweating and excessively loose bowels. Too many mineral supplements can also cause the latter. Then the progress can be undone.

I also suspect a couple of foods and/or drink, possibly some type of allergy, that may contribute to some of my PVC issues.

Be sure and follow your doctor's instructions. Hope this helps :) .

I don't understand why more Cardiologists don't prescribe SOTALOL (the generic form of BetaPace) for A-Fib.

It works well for several of our members and most experience NO side-effects after the first few weeks when there may be some slight dizzyness.

It is recommended that patients be Hospitalized for 3 days while beginning Sotalol / BetaPace "just in case" the patient might develop a dangerous arrhythmia while the body is 'adjusting' to this medication. (Not all Cardio's follow this recommendation)

Mileena - have you read the information sheet that should have come with your Amiodarone when you picked it up at the pharmacy? Turning Blue is one of the lesser side-effects that may result from Long Term use or High Dosages for more than a short time. You might also want to read the FDA Warning. GOOGLE "Amiodarone" (or do a Search on VR.com for "any date". That will keep you busy reading for a while!

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks for the replies!

Lily,

Though I know it doesn't help you any, at least I know that someone else has experienced the horrible palps I have! It is no fun....at the time I lived through it...but now that I truly know what a steady rhythm feels like, I don't want to chance giving it up! Also, my valve is sooo loud that any out of sync is very noticable to me.

Al,

So how do I talk my doctor into considering this change in meds and I may sound like a big baby....I don't want to go back in the hospital to start this drug, but would be scared to do it any other way.

I wonder what the chances are of going off amiodarone without a sub drug and everything be ok. My cardiologists' nurse told me my doctor would probably never take me off the 100mg of amio I am taking now.

I will def talk to him on my next visit.

Mileena

Mileena -

Re: Discussing a change in medication with your Doctor,
First, be sure to Read the Information Sheet on Amiodarone so that you will know what you are talking about.

Second, once you know the risks, then you can tell your Doc that you are concerned about the Long Term Risks of this medication and wonder about other medications with fewer / less severe side effects.

Third, tell him you 'have heard' (it's probably wise NOT to mention the Internet) that some patients with A-Fib report good control with Sotalol.

Good Luck!

'AL C'

I've been on Lanoxin(Digoxen) and Toprol for my PVCs.. anytime I've had a sudden PVC that went on for days, they would just increase my Toprol and that always resolved mine. I haven't had any in quite a while and am now tapering off of Toprol unless I have another occurrence. Best of luck!

TOPROL (and the extended release version Toprol XL) did a good job of controlling PAC's and PVC's (at a fairly Low Dose even) when I had them.

When I developed ATRIAL FIBRILATION, my Cardio switched me to SOTALOL which worked well, also at a pretty Low Dose.

I've been A-fib since at least July 23,2009 and probably for weeks or even months longer, as it took me that long to feel rough enough to seek help.

Since September, I've been cardioverted twice and have been on Multaq, as well as digoxin and corvedilol. Coincidentally, I've also undergone Radioactive Iodine treatment for hyperthyroid (not real bad, but out of normal ranges and with nodules), as well as am now on CPAP for mild sleep apnea.

Just this week, I've been more in rhythm than out. The cardio folks think it may be the meds finally turning things over. If I can stay in rhythm, that will cancel the upcoming cardioversion and most likely postpone surgery for sure. The valves are leaky, but not enough to say "it's time" this winter... Now if only they make it until next winter.

Oh, and if you're on limited income, be sure to see if you can qualify for the financial aid from the Multaq manufacturer. I was approved as of today. It took nearly 8 weeks, but my cardio kept me in samples. Never, ever be too proud to ask for help!

I've been A-fib since at least July 23,2009 and probably for weeks or even months longer, as it took me that long to feel rough enough to seek help.

Since September, I've been cardioverted twice and have been on Multaq, as well as digoxin and corvedilol. Coincidentally, I've also undergone Radioactive Iodine treatment for hyperthyroid (not real bad, but out of normal ranges and with nodules), as well as am now on CPAP for mild sleep apnea.

Just this week, I've been more in rhythm than out. The cardio folks think it may be the meds finally turning things over. If I can stay in rhythm, that will cancel the upcoming cardioversion and most likely postpone surgery for sure. The valves are leaky, but not enough to say "it's time" this winter... Now if only they make it until next winter.

Oh, and if you're on limited income, be sure to see if you can qualify for the financial aid from the Multaq manufacturer. I was approved as of today. It took nearly 8 weeks, but my cardio kept me in samples. Never, ever be too proud to ask for help!

Shari, have you found that the Multaq becomes a little more effective each week? It certainly didn't help me right away, but at a little over 3 weeks now, I'm having more good days than bad.

Hi Kay,

I wish I could say it's only the Multaq, but with the complications (thyroid and sleep apnea) we're kind of in a "wait and see" mode. I think if I escape the third cardioversion and then get the digoxin reduced or even eliminated and still stay in rhythm, I will credit the Multaq with making the difference.

I've been all over the Multaq site and haven't seen it used quite the way I'm prescribed. Generally they prescribe it AFTER you're back in rhythm rather than before, but my cardio is working hard to do the least invasive processes first.

I still tire easily and try to take a nap each afternoon. I sleep about 9 hours through the night. I'm able to walk further (out to the horses without stopping), and yesterday was able to get into our farm truck. That's a first since this all started. Either the 30#'s I've dropped, or feeling a little better made that experience easier. Then, I was A-fib by dinner. This morning, I was back to normal.

Drugs for A-fib

Drugs for A-fib

Mileen46 and others. This is my Multaq story for what it's worth. I had been on amiodarone since my AVR in August of 08. I was in A-fib from day 2 of surgery until the end of the month. My cardio put me on amiodarone, which converted me to NSR in 5 days. I got a new cardio in August of this year. She was weaning me off of amiodarone down to 100 mg a day, and took me off lanoxin at the same time. She said if I went back into A-fib at that dosage she would cardio convert me. On Sept. 28th I went into A-fib with RVR and ended up in the emergency room. I was released still in a-fib but no RVR. The next day I went back into my cardio for follow-up. She asked me if I wanted to try the new drug Multaq. I did not ever like the amiodarone because indeed I was starting to turn blue in my hands and arms from being in the sun. Anyway, I said yes, and started that night, and by October 1st I was back in NSR. I have had no further A-fib since. She also stated that if I couldn't afford Multaq there was a program to help financially. I have good insurance, and it was $30 co-pay so I didn't need help. I take 400 mg morning and evening with meals. I feel much better since coming off amiodarone, and have all the confidence in the world in this new drug! :)

I would REALLY LIKE to try this new drug Multaq but I don't think it's been approved for use in NZ yet.
I am currently on Amiodarone, and like Mileena, am finding that it's working really well at keeping my heart steady and controlled. I like that part of it, but not the thought of all the side effects.
I'm going to my GP in a couple of weeks to talk about my options....I might see if I can go back on Sotalol although I didn't find that quite so effective.

Back