Driving??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backseat?

Backseat?

Interesting comments about recommendations that doctors recommend riding in the backseat following OHS to avoid airbag issues...my surgeon and cardiologist never suggested riding in the backseat until my sternum healed. They simply told me not to drive for at least six weeks.

-Philip

Same for me with two OHS. Neither time did anyone tell me to sit in the back seat. Until I was able to drive myself, I always sat in passenger front seat. I would have done otherwise if so instructed.

"Backseat"? What if the only vehicle you have is a pickup, or a 2 seater? No way to avoid the airbags. I don't think the aribags are a valid reason.

FWIW, my surgeon cleared me to drive at 3 weeks. The reason he gave was "Well, you're not on any narcotics, so as long as it doesn't hurt, you can drive."

Joe,

Definitely call your doctor to clarify ... always best to check with the doctor to see what is recommended for you.

For me ... surgery was Monday, January 6, 2003.

I was cleared to drive for the first time on Monday, February 10, 2003.

Catch: I drove at 12 MIDNIGHT (yes, 12 am) on Monday, February 10, 2003. But ... sister had me take my cell phone and told me if I didn't come home within a half hour, she was going to call me ... and come get me. He he.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I saw an old Malibu" ... Doug Stone ... 'I Thought It Was You'

I had my OHS on February 25 and my doctor still wont let me drive. I'm hoping to convince her next Monday. I was told by my cardio reconditioning people that all my car insurances are null and void if I went against the doctors wishes.

Jeff.

Joe,
My husband was cleared at four weeks, since he was off all narcotics for pain. Broken bones are usually pretty well on the way to healing at four weeks, and most broken bones don't have the "advantage" of being held together by wire cable. The air bag thing is a non-issue; pregnant women ride or drive all the time. It's still a risk in the back seat as well. The variation in times given by various doctors usually takes into account the overall medical condition of the patient. My husband was in great shape with no coronary artery disease or other medical problems, and he is young. People who develop a cough postop for whatever reason, diabetics, SOME elderly people, people with vascular disease or complications of surgery ( and, this is the truth, smokers) may have impaired healing, and will not be allowed to drive as soon. Those who are having problems with medication or pain issues may not be allowed to drive either. To be frank, my husband prefers me to drive most of the time anyway.

Roller-Coaster Weather in Idaho,
-Laura

Latest posts

Back