Drain tube holes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

I will be six weeks post op tomorrow, and I noticed today that my drain tube holes seem to have FINALLY closed up all the way. Does that seem like a long time?

My sternum scar has been closed up since about 1.5 weeks I think. It's already starting to lighten up a bit (although it still looks pretty dark against my whiter than white skin).

Any suggestions for speeding up the fading process? It is getting close to bathing suit season :) From what I've heard, it's the rubbing action that helps and not what you put on it, but wondering what others have discovered.

The scar doesn't really bother me, but I don't always like talking about the surgery because people automatically freak out which ratchets up my anxiety level unnecessarily. I like to look at my scar because it makes me feel strong, but others don't have the same reaction.

I'd love to be of help, but my chest hair when it grows back out will cover up my chest scar very nicely. Now, I would love to see some ideas about the chest tubes, etc., covering that up would be pretty cool.

I can totally see how it would it be nice to have these battle scars covered up for a girl though.

One thing I read about the sternum scar is to keep it out of the sun for the first several months. To expose it to sunlight will cause the scar to darken rather than fade, from what I read.
As far as your tube sites - I am about 1.5 weeks behind you and my tube sites are almost closed....will probably be totally closed at about 6 weeks out, same as you.
karla

It seems cuts and scrapes heal a little slower now with the Coumadin,,,,, is that crazy or what.

Consider it a second belly button. The tube hole typically takes longer to heal, I think it is one of the areas that they could improve on. I,m just grateful that I had no sternum complications, the scar is secondary.
There are creams and Botox injections that can help but I have not needed to use them cause I am like "All That" anyway...lol.

When I was sent home from the hospital after my surgery, the instructions were not to put anything on the incision areas. I took this to mean the 4 drain holes as well as the sternum scar. I followed this advice and did not put any sort of creams or balms on any of the scar areas.

Now, at 11 months post-surgery, the four drain hole scars are virtually invisible. Even knowing that they were there, I have a difficult time finding any residual evidence of their past presence, even when I look carefully close-up.

The sternum scar is another matter, and that is still quite evident. My chest hair won't hide it.

Still, in answer to your question, "wondering what others have discovered", what I discovered in my case was that leaving them alone, as the hospital recommended, was the best thing to do, and they eventually disappeared entirely on their own.

They say coacoa butter. Im an avid lifter and had some stretch marks on my upper arm from over extension during bench press. Although it will not make the scar dissapear, it should lessen the redness of the scar. They also sell other rubs at local pharmacys like cvs, walgreens, or rote aid. I do not know the efficacy these rubs, but at 5-10$ a pop its worth a shot. Hope that helps.

I will be six weeks post op tomorrow, and I noticed today that my drain tube holes seem to have FINALLY closed up all the way. Does that seem like a long time?

My sternum scar has been closed up since about 1.5 weeks I think. It's already starting to lighten up a bit (although it still looks pretty dark against my whiter than white skin).

Any suggestions for speeding up the fading process? It is getting close to bathing suit season :) From what I've heard, it's the rubbing action that helps and not what you put on it, but wondering what others have discovered.

The scar doesn't really bother me, but I don't always like talking about the surgery because people automatically freak out which ratchets up my anxiety level unnecessarily. I like to look at my scar because it makes me feel strong, but others don't have the same reaction.

I don't think it's a good idea to expose the scar to the sun. I heard that will make it worse.

Latest posts

Back