Don't trust the doctors. Don't trust the pharmacies. Trust yourself

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paleowoman;n869532 said:
Inhaler in your nostrils ? Do you mean a nasal spray ? An inhaler is for the lungs

I suspect he means inhaler through the nostril ... We call other products that you sniff "inhalers" also.

These are common in Australia, and I assume the UK too, although this product is for a different purpose

original.jpg

you put it to your nostril and inhale.

Actually, it's not like the Vick's OTC device in the photo. This is a 'puffer' that you insert into each nostril, then inhale while you squeeze the injector at the tip. It sends an aerosol into your sinuses. The contents go into your nasal passages, and through the back of the sinuses, into the back of your throat, and often down into your esophagus, where they're eventually swallowed. You can often TASTE the stuff after you've inhaled it. THAT's why the thing is also connected with Thrush -- the stuff has to go SOMEWHERE, and that's often into the back of your throat and back of your mouth. This apparently weakens resistance to stuff like candida (which is actually thrush).

In the United States, they call these things inhalers - because you inhale the contents into your nasal passages and sinus (and, unfortunately, also into the back of your throat).

Until recently, most of these were patented prescription medications - inhalable steroids. I don't really like them.

The pharmaceutical companies realized that the patents were set to expire, so they added an antihistamine to the steroid, and got a NEW patent on this dollar's worth of antihistamine (perhaps much less than that) and now sell the stuff for more than $200. The new stuff is oddly called Dymista. I'm guessing that this is the version for men. The version for women should be called Dymissus. For religious people, the men's version would be Dybrutha and the women's version would be Dysista. For really bad guys, I suspect that it would be Dymofu. For people who have digestive allergies to the stuff (because some of it ultimately gets into the digestive system), they may want to call it Dyarrhea. It's rather stupid that ANY pharmaceutical product would have a name that starts with the letters DY.

Protimenow;n869570 said:
Actually, it's not like the Vick's OTC device in the photo. This is a 'puffer' that you insert into each nostril, then inhale while you squeeze the injector at the tip. It sends an aerosol into your sinuses.
I guess it's one of the nasal corticosteroid sprays described here: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000404.htm You have to be careful not to let too much go into your throat or you get thrush - perhaps gargle after ?

I didn't realise they were called inhalers in the US and Australia ! It's only the ones for lung problems which are called inhalers in the UK. Shows the confusion language can cause here when we talk about something which has an entirely diffrent meaning in British English from American or Australian English ! Oh except the link I posted above to nasal sprays is an American link to the US national Library of Medicine and they call it a spray not an inhaler !?!?! Maybe in some parts of America they're called sprays and in other parts inhalers !

Yes. Same languages (mostly) but different idioms and usages. Here, a Bonnet is something old women wear on their heads (I guess you don't have to be old to wear one, but I can't expect a young girl to wear one). In the UK, if I'm correct, it would be the back of a car (I think). And in the U.S., a boot is something you wear on your foot. Not to be confused with Aboot, which is the way some brits and Canadians pronounce about.

As far as inhaler is concerned, I'm pretty sure that this is how my ENT referred to it - nasal spray would also apply, but usually implies over the counter.

FWIW - last week, I visited the English version of a Dutch site - and it used some idiomatic phrases that may have been direct translations from Dutch -- the term 'wooly' was used, I think, to mean difficult (or something - it's been a week since I saw the site).

It'll be nice if, one day, automatic translation devices could actually not just translate words, but also include slang and idiomatic expressions. (And this brings me about as far away from the original topic - taking responsibility for monitoring your INR - as I think it probably should go).

Latest posts

Back