Don't know if I belong here anymore ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Hi folks ...not sure if you lot won't kick me out .....I had my angioplasy done this week ...but they found it was not what was needed ...due to my TOF I have lots of thickening of the muscle below my heart valve ...and this is making my left side beat too hard and has caused enlarging of the heart on that side ..although I have stenosis of the valve they want to deal with my heart muscle first as they say the heart is beating so fast there it would just blow a new valve ...does this make any sense to anyone?...there is some concern about scar tissue from my previous surgeries but anyway they have advised surgery in Edinburgh or Glasgow ..I've picked Edinburgh ..and the waiting list is about six months ....although I'm not having valve replacement may I continue to pop in as I feel I do know you now ..and as a Scot we are a canny race when it comes to getting to know folk...also I'm back to being scared again ..I have three wonderful kids (most of the time ) and I would love to see them grown up ....anyway thanks for listening
Scottie

Hi Scottie,

I sure hope you continue to visit here. Hey, am Scottish too. My Grandmother grewup in Edinburgh.

Many folks on here have different reasons for their valve replacement, and the bottom line, it is all heart related, and they lump it into one huge catagory called Heart Disease. There is also another site that has some very useful information for people that have non-valve related heart conditions. The folks there are also very helpful. You should take a look and ask them some questions about your situation. The site is:

http://boards.webmd.com/roundtable_topic/4

Happy Holidays,

Rob

Last edited:
Stay Scottie!

Stay Scottie!

Oh, Scottie, you must stay. You are one of us and we would be the poorer for not having your voice on line with us. You offer insight into your diagnosis and can help with the problems some have with the National Health Services or whatever it's title is, as well as the good strengths. Stay.

I am wondering about the doctors' decision - though I am far from informed. But I had some thickening too and they said it would clear up after surgery and it did . At my 18 mo. exam, they said it was perfectly normal. Maybe just a question for your doc?

Good luck and love!

Jean

Jean

Jean ...thanks for your reply ..my muscle thickening is severe ...making me heart towards heart failure ...it is part of the congential defect I was born with ..has just got worse over time ..and for some reason wasn't fixed enough during my last surgery ..Thanks again
Scottie

Now listen up, Scottie. You are going NOWHERE, young lady. Billy and I already have been through what you are saying - he didn't have heart surgery at all; I had quad bypass and we both considered leaving, but after discusson on the site, we were invited to stay as others thought we might have something good to add. And the two of us have benefitted more than we can say for knowing everybody and the support that is received here. You truly must stay. I have been wondering where you are and sent you an email via the site a couple months ago to ask. Hope you got it. I was thinking of you and hadn't seen you for awhile. So, my dear, you can see that if you leave, there will be a hole in here. God bless:) :)

Hey Scottie!!!
You can't go anywhere without me gal!!! I didn't have valve replacement either... just repair... but I keep on posting here. This isn't a matter of what kind of heart problem you have, but SUPPORT!!! Our lives would be poorer without your wit!!! Let's see if you can follow commands:

"SIT! STAY!

Okay.. get the picture? lol

Love,
Zazz

P.S. Aunt Jess belongs to this board too... and she got a whole new heart!!!

Thanks folks

Thanks folks

Thanks Rob ..you do always have great sites !

Thanks Hensylee..you always give such wonderfully kind pearls of wisdom to everyone ....

And Zazzy ..I would love to have you beside me when I go for my surgery ...not on the table you understand..could get mighty squashed there ....thanks too

I'd love to stay ..I find the thought of surgery very scary again ...My GP said that I need to get this surgery done so I can live to a ripe old age ..I had to tell her that knowing my luck after going through this I 'd get Alhziemers like my mother ...she told me that would be okay ...because then at least I'd forget I'd ever had surgery so would be quite happy :)

Anyway Thanks again
Scottie .....

Hi Scottie

Of course you must keep coming to the site. It's been a great help to me knowing that there are so many people of all ages with heart problems. There's always someone who has the same condition and can share their experiences. At least now you have a diagnosis even though it's now what you wanted to hear. It's helps coming to the site when you are at the "waiting part". I think this is perhaps worst of all. I have been waiting since September on the NHS waiting list. I should be having surgery around "Springtime" at Glasgow Royal. I was told the waiting list was 2 to 3 months but it is nearer 6 months. Not sure if you heard on the news that Scotland as well as England also has closed NHS waiting lists. One of them is North Glasgow. Not sure if this covers the Glasgow Royal. I'm going to wait until after the holidays and start chasing things up. I can't remember if they mentioned Edinburgh. Can I ask if there was a reason why you chose Edinburgh rather than Glasgow or was it purely for travelling distance. Anyway Scottie we Scots would miss you if you stopped coming to the site. Take care and have a Guid New Year.

Peachy

Last edited:
Closed waiting list?

Closed waiting list?

Peachy, What do patients do when waiting lists are closed by the NHS?

Noone is going anywhere...

Noone is going anywhere...

Because if you go, then I definately have to go :( as I, technically, no longer have had valvereplacement. But I don't plan on going anywhere and neither should you...

Is the thickening of the muscle a question of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
They need to bring it under control. Have they mentioned ACE-inhibitor, betablocker, digitalis, diuretics to you? A new valve would probably help with that as well. The race is not lost :) .

Take care, all my best,

/Jessica

Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone

Peachy ..I hope you are keeping okay during your wait ..We chose Edinburgh because we have friends that hubby can stay with...only reason ,although we know Edinburgh a lot better than Glasgow ...I went to Moray House as a student . The consultant said she was going to try and find a surgeon who has done this procedure before ..don't even know what it is called ...take care

Thanks Hank ..for your kind words and this wonderful site .

Jessica...I plan on staying now thanks ...anyway I think I've become addicted to checking on how everyone is doing ...
I'm not sure what my condition is called ..the consultant did not give it any label ..but that is often the way here ..I'm hoping to get more info from my GP when she get a letter from the consultant explaining things to her ..but it could take about a month to come through ...the Drs here don't tell us nearly as much as they seem to tell you ...maybe they are afraid we will understand them and then they will not be the "Gods " they want us to believe they are LOL..Thanks anyway and you take care .

Happy New Year to you all
Scottie

Latest posts

Back