Donating your own blood for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenniferO

Okay, I have another decision to make and I am about worn out with them, so I ask your help once again.

I am trying to decide if it is worth going through the hassle and expense of an autologous blood donation (reserving your own blood in case you need it during or after surgery). Dr. Cosgrove would allow me to donate just one unit which must be done no closer than 3-4 weeks before the surgery. The local hospitals won't do it unless you are having surgery at the hospital. So, there is a very nice lady at the Red Cross who has done some legwork and says they can draw the blood for me and ship it to the Columbus, Ohio Red Cross who has a supplier contract with Cleveland Clinic and can deliver my blood to the Clinic. In this way, I don't have to pay for the Red Cross services up front - estimated at $300 - but they will be passed down the pipeline to Cleveland Clinic and come out with the rest of my surgical bills. My guess is that this is an item not covered by insurance. If I could have used a local hospital facility I might have been able to get one of my insurances to cover it, but with the Red Cross handling it, I know my primary won't cover it because they're not a network facility. Not sure about my secondary Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Cleveland Clinic is a BC/BS provider but I have doubts the autologous blood donation is a "covered" procedure. $300 isn't pocket change to me, especially with all the other costs we are going to be paying--travel, etc.

The mitral valve repair procedure usually does NOT require blood transfusion - 80% of cases at Cleveland Clinic do not receive blood. So, I may be going to expense and trouble for nothing! I originally looked into this because my mother was hysterical about the fear of HIV etc. if I needed blood.

Your thoughts, anyone? I'm too exhausted and anxious to think straight at this point.

We made our air line reservations and hotel reservations for Cleveland this last week, so guess there's no turning back now!

Jennifer

I went digging around the CCF site and can't find what I think you may be able to do. The theory is that if you need blood and it is taken from their blood bank, you can have blood donations in your name, applied to your account to offset any units that you may require. Guess another phone call is in order for that answer, to th CCF.

Outside of that, as I understand, the recycle your own blood and reintroduce it back into your system, thus not needing transfusions. I hope I'm not outdated on this thought.

Hope some of this helps you out. :)

Yeah, I've talked with CCF. I can't donate my own blood when I get there, because it might make me anemic for the surgery. So, as I said, it has to be 3-4 weeks before surgery in order to let your blood rebuild. Salt Lake Red Cross says if they were to ship the blood direct to the CCF Blood Bank, they would have to charge me the costs up front. If they do it through their "sister" Red Cross in Columbus, then because there is an established relationship between CCF and Red Cross Columbus, then CCF accepts the charges from Columbus RC and passes them on ultimately to me. My husband is O positive which I understand is the "universal donor", so it may be possible to use his blood at the other end. I was just thinking it was best to use my own blood if I needed a transfusion. Apparently, Cleveland Clinic is very good at preserving your blood going on and off the bypass machine and the nature of the surgery is such that you really have very little blood loss.

I get the feeling I may be making a big project out of something that might not be a need or a problem ultimately.

It annoys me that for the $300, I could fly to Cleveland and donate my own blood at Cleveland Clinic and then fly back to Salt Lake to await my surgery! Of course, that's a lot of extra effort too.

When my aneurysm did it's thing, believe it or not, they recycled the blood going through the By Pass Machine and gave me my own blood back. When it was all said and done, I needed only 2 units transfused and that was about 4 weeks later, but that is because of the nature of the severity of my stay. My body wasn't producing it's own and they needed to jump start me, if you will.

The stuff they can do at CCF is nothing short of miraculous!

Autologous blood transfusion?

Autologous blood transfusion?

Jennifer, I personally think an autologous blood transfusion is a good thing. When I had mitral valve replacement three years ago
the surgeon used my blood since it was 100% safe but said he would not have given me any if he had to use banked blood. It helped for an easy recovery and I was home the morning of the fourth post op day. I'd ask Dr. Cosgrove if he thinks it might make a difference in your case and let that be your guide.

My husband Joe, also did not need blood during his mitral surgery in July, although they had blood on hand, if they needed it. He couldn't donate his own blood. However, a couple of days after surgery he did get a transfusion, but he was quite anemic going in, just above the borderline for surgery, as I remember it.

Hi Jennifer,
I see that you made your hotel reservations, did you go with the Guesthouse?
I wouldn't worry too much about needing blood. You're a young 50 and with Dr. Cosgrove doing your surgery you are in good hands.
It's now 8 weeks since my MV repair and I'm now getting really serious with my exercize program. Using light free weights and really stretching those muscles.

Hi Brad:

Yep, all the reservations are made and we will be staying at the Guest House.

I talked with Jean in Dr. Cosgrove's office yesterday and she told me not to worry about the blood donation as it was highly unlikely I would need it and Dr. Cosgrove doesn't encourage it.

Great to hear your recovery is continuing to go well. It gives me courage.

Hey Jennifer! I was going to do the same thing, but when my surgery got moved up, I did not have a chance. My surgeon felt like it was a wonderful idea since he said it would speed up my recovery. In the end, I came home very anemic, but not bad enough for them to give me a transfusion. Mine was an aortic replacement so I do not know if there is any difference in blood loss. I just do not think it is something you should stress about so close to the end of this getting ready process. God bless you and I will be praying for you.

Shana

Hi!
My husband has had a recent experience with this as well.

He had surgery on 10/3. Before surgery, he was slightly anemic, but did donate one pint of his own blood. The day we were going down the the Red Cross for the second pint donation, he felt so poorly, his pulse was weak, etc. that they would not take his blood. He looked really sick. When we left I took him to his doctor's office, without an appt., as he refused to go to the ER. His pulse was "thready", put him on oxygen, etc......He really needed the surgery. Post surgery, he became VERY anemic, although they did give him his one pint of blood during surgery. (He had double valves done.) This really slowed his recovery. He is still mildly anemic, taking iron and folic acid every day.

The bill from the hospital was $505. Not covered by insurance. Certainly, thats alot of money, but for the peace of mind it gave him, that was OK. HOWEVER, due to the complications it caused both before and after the surgery, in all good conscience I know he wouold not advise anyone to do it again. He had felt very stronly about using his own blood, but he would agree that it wasn't worth it.
I hope this helps. - Marybeth

family blood donations

family blood donations

Before my 1st avr in 89, I couldn't donate blood as I had an aneurism, so my mom, 2 sisters donated blood. I also asked a couple friends to give.
My surgery took 5 pints, they used my immediate family first and then the blood from my friends.
My 2nd avr in 00 was urgent so I had no one donate. I was concerned about getting stranger blood but had no choice. My cardio said he read a study that stated stranger blood was less likely to be 'infected' than blood from family.
I needed blood and so got stranger blood, but it came from the stanford blood bank and I know that they thoroughly test the donated blood.
I had my blood tested about 7 mos after surgery because I needed to know if I had been given some incurable blood disease. I tested negative on all.
That made me feel so much better.
Don't know if this helps. It is a hard decision
especially if you have to pay out of pocket.
If I know ahead of time I think I would opt for direct to donor.
Gail

Non donor related blood supply is extremely safe. Your chances of contracting anything is very minuscule. Hepatitis C before HIV. Both very very rare in this day in age.

I was able to get a pint in before surgery. The other times I tried...my line stopped mid flow. That is disguarded and you are sent on your way. Man was I upset. The next time I had a bacterial infection..... so that was out. We had a few friends donate. Sugery required 2 pints. Three weeks post out when I had complications.... was urgently fully transferred. They had to use frozen packed plaza cells to thicken my blood up before they could go back in and take care of my pericardial effusion. Has been three years and show no signs of any disease. I would rest easy...and do what is most convenient for you.

Latest posts

Back