doing fine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisou

Hi everyone, 6 weeks post op and doing fine, still working on my INR as it is going up slowly. Just wanted to ask everyone how long did the sternum discomfort/pain last for u guys? And is it normal to still have discomfort after 6 weeks.

Lisou, good to hear from you.
Yes some of us have discomfort for several weeks or months. As long as it is not unbearable pain, it should dimish a bit each week or so. I remember being quite fragile, but it was also winter time and I was terrified to fall.
Keep us updated.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are doing fine. It was about 6 months before the sternum discomfort was essentially gone. That said, I had some discomfort much longer than that when pressure was applied over the sternum, for example from my car seat belt. However, it was more from sensitivity of the scars than from the sternum itself. My scars went keloid and to this day they are still sensitive.

It's good to read that you're doing well.
I think most of my sternum discomfort was gone by six weeks, but everyone is different.

Mine was mostly gone by then (but then I have a chest of steel, you know. :D) Seriously, many on here have reported still having varying degrees of discomfort at six weeks.

Best wishes,

I never got to pain free after my first OHS. Four years later, I went into my second OHS still sore and that was six months ago. On a dry day now, my chest feels better than it did four years later from the first OHS. But on a wet day, rain coming....groan. It is sore.

Latest posts

Back