Dog Bite/Nip

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

So, my 8 mo. old puppy accidentally nicked the base of my thumbnail tonight pretty good & it bled some. Took about 5 minutes to get it to stop bleeding. My INR is still running high at 4.2, but I'm in the process of bringing it down.

We cleaned the thumbnail w. Hibiclens antiseptic soap, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol & then put triple antibiotic ointment on it.

I am just wondering if this is cause for concern regarding endocarditis since his tooth is what caused the puncture (I know about cat bites/scratches, but not so sure about dogs?). Let's just say his mouth is not the cleanest thing in the world :confused2:.

Homeskillet;n877060 said:
So, my 8 mo. old puppy accidentally nicked the base of my thumbnail tonight pretty good & it bled some. Took about 5 minutes to get it to stop bleeding. My INR is still running high at 4.2, but I'm in the process of bringing it down.

We cleaned the thumbnail w. Hibiclens antiseptic soap, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol & then put triple antibiotic ointment on it.

I am just wondering if this is cause for concern regarding endocarditis since his tooth is what caused the puncture (I know about cat bites/scratches, but not so sure about dogs?). Let's just say his mouth is not the cleanest thing in the world :confused2:.

Sounds like you did the right things. May also help to keep your "tetanus shots" up to date......and your dog protected with "rabies shot" when he/she is old enough. Keep an eye on the bite and if it does not heal in several days, call your doc.

dick0236;n877063 said:
Sounds like you did the right things. May also help to keep your "tetanus shots" up to date......and your dog protected with "rabies shot" when he/she is old enough. Keep an eye on the bite and if it does not heal in several days, call your doc.

Thanks much!

Latest posts

Back