Does this sound right?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
To refresh your memory I started on coumadin 8/5/09. On 8/5 and 8/6 I took 10 mg. On 8/7/09 I was at 1.1. Continued on 5 mg. On 8/11/09 I was 1.6. continued on 5mg. daily.

Today I was at 1.7.

Change of dosage to 7.5 twice a week and 5mg daily for the rest of the week.

Does that sound right to you?

Thanks for your help.
Marie

Marie:

Obviously, 5mg isn't the right dose (duh!) for you. What is your activity level like, and what is your usual diet like? You're on Altace, but that supposedly doesn't affect warfarin.

The increase of 5mg overall to your weekly dosage is a 14% increase. That sounds good to me. If you were adjust upward, you usually do it by 10-15%.

Ok Marie...here goes :)

What you need to remember is just the last 7 days worth of doses. And from what I'm seeing, you're on 5mg/day since about 8/6, right? Ok so for the last 7 days, 5mg/day = 35mg for the week. You're anti-coag manager has upped your dosage to 40mg/week 7.5+5+5+7.5+5+5+5=40. That is a 15% increase...looks like it's within the guidelines.

Go back and be tested in a week. 3-4 days is not enough time. Hopefully you'll be up over 2.0 by then.

If you have questions...don't hesitate to ask.

Marie:

Obviously, 5mg isn't the right dose (duh!) for you. What is your activity level like, and what is your usual diet like? You're on Altace, but that supposedly doesn't affect warfarin.

The increase of 5mg overall to your weekly dosage is a 14% increase. That sounds good to me. If you were adjust upward, you usually do it by 10-15%.

I am beginning to increase my activity level some as I have started walking again. My diet is normally high protein, low carb maybe a salad here and there. I did have some tylenol this week but not a lot.

Thanks
Marie

Marie:

As you increase your activity level, you'll need more warfarin. Don't worry, though; just keep on keepin' on. Sounds like you're working with someone who understands warfarin and he/she will adjust your dosage accordingly.

Latest posts

Back