Does insurance generally cover home testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hey everyone, I'm due to have surgery on Monday to have my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical one. My cardiologist, as well as my surgeon suggests it'd be a good idea for me to get a home testing kit. I agree it'd be a good idea. I'm wondering if insurance pays for this? I read here and there they have a tendency to cover it more if you have a mechanical valve. I know theyre about $1,000. And what about the strips? Are those covered as well? I have Anthem Blue Cross

I have a friend who is on Medicare, and he self-tests. He claims that Medicare covers the cost.

You don't have to pay $1000 for a meter -- I got mine on eBay, and have had few problems. The strips cost around $200-$250 for 48. Once your INR is relatively stable, you should probably test once a week -- even if the labs want you to test less often.

Good luck with your surgery. (There are A LOT of us on this forum with mechanical valves clicking on their chests. Mine's a St. Jude that was implanted in 1991, and there are many of us who've got even older valves).

Your insurance may pay for it, but be prepared for some hassle. I elected not to ask the insurance to pay for it and bought it with my own $$. You'll be under $400 on eBay. The strips are expensive at nearly $5 each.

I chose not to do the insurance, as they had all kinds of rules about how often I would test, how the results were managed etc. I just wanted to check myself a few times a month. I didn't want 'big brother' dictating the rules to me.

My insurance covered the cost of my InRatio 2 and now my Coaguchek ( I just recently switched meters). I don't actually own the machine, but rent it. I call in or submit my results via the web once per week through the Coaguchek service. It's really no big deal having to call in your results. It only takes about two minutes to do.

My insurance covered my meter and required me to use a service for the meter, supplies and reporting results. They then changed, but did not inform me, which caused some difficulties. You won't be able to home test for about 60 days, which will be next year. If your insurance plan is like most, you will get new "rules" with the new year. For me, my cardio contacted my insurance and then the cardio's nurse contacted the meter provider, who called me. Whatever the method, just make sure you know your full coverage options. I'd suggest calling and talking to your insurance company as to coverage by the end of January.

I am blessed...my insurance covers everything...including an RN delivering it and teaching me how to use it.
All my supplies and Coaguchek admin fees are covered.. Been home testing for just about a year. I am consistently in my range of 2.0 to 2.5.
Keystone Health Plan East is my insurance.

Thank you for your answers. With my insurance, I have to be on Warfarin for a year before they will cover the home monitoring. It's no longer an issue for me. The Coumadin Clinic is right around the corner from my house and I really enjoy my Dr. that I see.

Latest posts

Back